Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

The drivers have arrived! I'm listening to them now, it seems like there is almost no bass. Guess i'm to used to listening to the cornus, even though the fountek drivers are smaller the difference is night and day. I hope these will sound even better when they're finished. :)

I also decided on using another type of glue for putting the front panel on. The poly urethane is just to messy and (as far as i could see) had a chance of leaving gaps. I did some tests and construction glue works really well with mdf & foam. Waiting for the paint to dry atm, i'll glue it on this evening.

Attachments

• IMAG1198[1].jpg
    IMAG1198[1].jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 473
  • IMAG1199[1].jpg
    IMAG1199[1].jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 458
Coen,
You say the FE103's have no bass in a Cornu or in open air? What size are you making? You have a set of Fountek Cornu's already? I forget. Nice construction by the way.

Thanks :) Just listening to FE103s in open air. I made the 2 fountek cornus already, 3 inch driver in a 20inch cornu. The cornu i'm making for the FE103 is 24inch wide and 8cm deep.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Oh, no worries then - open air has no bass as it self cancels the front and rear pressure waves. I think you should be good once you pop the drivers in. One of my favorite tests is to have the driver wired but sitting slightly out of enclosure and playing music. Then insert it into enclosure and the moment it makes a seal - Ta Dah! (or Shazam!, whatever your exclamation saying may be ) :)

Oh, no worries then - open air has no bass as it self cancels the front and rear pressure waves. I think you should be good once you pop the drivers in. One of my favorite tests is to have the driver wired but sitting slightly out of enclosure and playing music. Then insert it into enclosure and the moment it makes a seal - Ta Dah! (or Shazam!, whatever your exclamation saying may be ) :)

I know what you mean :) last time i had 1 driver in the enclosure connected and the other in open air, then switch between them by changing the balance for left and right.

Just finished glueing on the front, hope this works :D

Attachments

• IMAG1202[1].jpg
    IMAG1202[1].jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 417
  • IMAG1201[1].jpg
    IMAG1201[1].jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMAG1203[1].jpg
    IMAG1203[1].jpg
    601 KB · Views: 404
Which Founteks and how do they sound?

Cheers!

The Fountek FE85, and they sound great. :) You can check them out at post 1029 - page 103.

For anyone interested, I have to say that I will not build the smaller ones anymore. Once you build the larger units, you'll see why. The differences between the 20", 27" and 36" are staggering. So much so that I don't even bring the little ones out anymore.

Well Cal size isnt everything :p I´m still enjoying building this pair. But if these work out i´ll start building a 36 inch pair, might need to work on the WAF for those.

Ok, i decided to do something about the screws today since the rvs ones are terrible for the WAF.

attachment.php

As you can see the screws that came with the drivers have a non threaded part which is about the size of the mdf i used..

attachment.php

After visiting a few stores i found out no-one is selling nice and shiny black round screws, so i got the next best thing.. nice and shiny gold looking ones...

attachment.php

which will probably still look ugly when used with the drives, but on the up side: the shape looks about right.

So then i got these, the cheapest spray paint i could find

attachment.php

Now this is with a few base coats

attachment.php

And then with the black finish.

attachment.php

Waiting for the paint to dry... They almost look like the original ones now, i just hope the paint doesn't come off when i screw them in :D

Attachments

• IMAG1247.jpg
    IMAG1247.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMAG1257.jpg
    IMAG1257.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 590
  • IMAG1258.jpg
    IMAG1258.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 584
  • IMAG1242.jpg
    IMAG1242.jpg