Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Thanks Cal. I measured my space and think for starters I'll try a 28" version. I've been enamored of the Mark Audio speakers so I'll try those. Biggest question is which one. Looking at 7.3 or 7ms specs seem fairly close but frankly I really don't know which specs matter most for the Cornu Spirals.

I would have to go look if I have any small coax's. The RS 1354's are an automotive driver but not a coax. Back when they made them 8 ohms.

EDIT: Yes I do have a couple pairs of 4.5" coax car speakers. They're a no name brand and I don't think I've ever hooked them up, I believe they were a gift. I wouldn't expect much from them so I don't think I will try them. The FR's of today are pretty darn good so a small coax may not be necessary.

First time project finished: Upholstered Cornus

The cloth came in, so I was able to finish this project today:

Upholstered Cornu

Reasoning:
My girlfriend needed some speakers for her bedroom and the only real place available was wall mounted. These with a subwoofer have already gotten the lifestyle piece seal of approval from her.

Construction materials:
Foam core boards from Dollar Tree
Hot Melt Glue
PL300 Foam Board Construction Adhesive
Sublimation printed Galaxy tapestry off Amazon

Hardware:
Cheap full range driver from component stereo speakers I found on the side of the road
Polk PSW110 subwoofer that I purchased for $20 (with failed capacitor) and repaired.
Lepy 20w per channel class d amp.

Attachments

• 20200624_192233.jpg
    20200624_192233.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 20200624_192238.jpg
    20200624_192238.jpg
    956.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 20200624_192242.jpg
    20200624_192242.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 329
Yes, these are the same and now covered in fabric.

It's not very scientific because I neither did a side by side or any measurements, so I can't tell how much the upholstery is dampening the speaker..

We did listen to them for over an hour while eating dinner, they were sitting on the carpeted floor angled a little up to our listening position. I kept forgetting that I was listening to hand made upholstered foam core cabinets with subwoofer support.

They sounded great, especially for what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fabric is fairly see through when looking towards a light source. I'm not sure how acoustically transparent it would be considered and I don't have the tools to measure it.

I did however use a different speaker and listen to a slow frequency sweep then put the cloth over it and listen to that same frequency sweep. I couldn't tell much of a difference to my ears.

Last edited by a moderator: