Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

You have the option of using paper strips. Apply the glue to the edges with a paint brush and stick the paper to them. Then cut away the excess and lay a bead on top before placing the baffle. It's a little more work but I used this method (full sheets, and individual strips, with success.
Sorry, no pics of just the strips.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 337
Update:

The front plate is glued on and I ran into my first major error...
I didn't leave enough room in the center to properly fit the bulky driver frame and rear that I had on hand. I also should have run my cabling differently.

It's a funny first time builder oversight that's for sure.

I decided to install the driver on the front exterior and add a couple panels of foam board to get it to be flush mounted but I didn't do it all that well so it's a bit rough

PS: Sorry the pictures aren't rotated correctly for easy viewing.

Attachments

• 20200615_123958.jpg
    20200615_123958.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 358
  • 20200615_170919.jpg
    20200615_170919.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200615_120843.jpg
    20200615_120843.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 329
The driver cone is 3.5.

The tiling is actually due to some issues I had with mounting. I was going to finish smoothing out the surface then make a cloth cover for it.

I realize the cabinet size is not ideal for the driver, I assumed I needed something like 26 inches based on what I saw in previous posts.

The cabinet size I used for this project was based only on the native width dimensions of the foam board panels that I got from the dollar store.

It sounds pretty good, though I'm wondering what it'd sound like if they were more dimension appropriate.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You have the option of using paper strips. Apply the glue to the edges with a paint brush and stick the paper to them. Then cut away the excess and lay a bead on top before placing the baffle. It's a little more work but I used this method (full sheets, and individual strips, with success.
Sorry, no pics of just the strips.

Hi Cal,
I’m not sure I ever understood your reasoning for doing this... is it to provide extra surface area for the glue to make a tight seal? Because the paper itself adds negligible thickness.

Hey V, Before the boy genius came up with the paperclip trick on the glue bottle he wanted to find a way to make the gluing faster. Since my hands are no longer rock steady, these paper strips are cut wider than the edge of the foam board so they provided a shelf for the glue. Since I use yellow glue and not white, I wanted to get the glue on as quickly as possible before it started to tack.

I found a pic. You can see here if you look closely that when I made Penthorn, I used strips on top. It was a hassle so on the 36" Cornu, I tried the full sheets and trimmed them after. Still a hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Just curious if anyone completed a Cornu with the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 drivers. I have an empty wall looking at me daily for something to hang on it. Any impressions on these drivers. I believe somewhere in this someone mentioned 36" square and 5" deep. Comments appreciated :)

I tried a pluvia 7 in one to replace some burned up tangbands. They sound much more detailed and refined in the mids and highs, base wasn't as strong, the TB's had more bounce. The pluvias were burned up also in short order. Life is tough in a college animal house. If you search you can find my build. Don't know where they are now, they didn't make it home when my son graduated.

Another Cornu update

I demoed the first one for the person that I was making these for and got good feedback, so I went ahead and built the second one.

The next plan is to cover it in galaxy printed cloth so it looks more like an art piece than a foam box on the wall.

They'll be paired with a polk ps110 subwoofer that I got broken and repaired.

Attachments

• CornuImage.jpeg
    CornuImage.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 767
would be curious to know what favorite drivers others have used with these

The planet10 modified 5.25" RS-1354 was a huge hit in the 36". The bass was staggering and lacked the mid bass hump of the 27".

It's not the best driver used in these horns but it was definitely the best cabinet for these drivers I've ever heard.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 283