Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

And, here it is built up. I didn't follow the template exactly. I chose to make it the same size as the original micro cornu (36cm).

Attachments

• 20190801_195203-2016x1512.jpg
    20190801_195203-2016x1512.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 348
That size intrigues I 'll watch your progress.
IF I might suggest? 45 the 90 degree corners.
Easy to cut /fit (even now) and will get you most of the curved effect

Too late, I've already closed up both speakers with gorilla glue. They're not coming apart now.

I was debating where to put the amp, either attach it onto the right speaker or build a separate enclosure to locate it remotely. A remote enclosure means tracking down some more wire, which I may be able to scrounge off of something else. I also need to dig in storage for something to use as stuffing. I'm trying not to buy anything else for this project. I might have a bag of polyfill somewhere or a scrap of mattress topper. I wonder how dryer lint or old socks would sound >D.

That's funny, I forgot to go down the center of the path. When I redo it, I get 60 cm. Hope that's enough. either way, I'm still interested in hearing your impressions as are many others I'm sure.
So hurry up would ya?

I got it all put together, but I think I messed up the amp. It sounds very distorted. It's almost as if the highs are filtered out completely and all that's left is a dull warbly mess. Seemed a bit shouty too, but that's probably the amp as well, not the speakers. Hopefully I just shorted out something easy to fix. But, I'm out of time to mess with it tonight.

Simplified Micro Cornu

Cal, those pentagons are really cool. It looks like a lot of work to shape all those smooth curves. I bet they sound nice.

Craig, well every "W" in "WAF" is different. Mine prefers simple, sleek, ultra modern, straight lines, right angles... so squares are be better in my case.

I drew up a new version of the simplified (straight line) micro cornu. It uses a constant cross section and doesn't flare until the final turn/exit of the horn, so it packs a lot more length into the same space. It's just a tiny smidge over 110cm per horn, so should have a 1/4 wavelength tuning of about 78Hz. Again, this is completely unsimulated/modeled, and it has never been built, so use at your own risk.

Attachments

• simple_micro_cornu.png
    simple_micro_cornu.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 255
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With constant cross-section it is now a TL not a horn, and so really not a cornu-clone.

Cal, i suspect better response will be had in those pentagons if the little deflectors to smooth the corners were removed. You don’t want HF coming out the horn mouth. And in the labyrinth part is there a constant expansion… on 1st look it doesn’t look like a horn shape… how do they sound?

dave