Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can make a TL with two lengths of resonators. But they don’t need it since they are pretty smooth. A horn has a more pronounced reflection at the mouth which causes a dip. Having two different lengths helps to smooth it. But it’s not really a good comparison as cornu is a back loaded horn with huge expansion ratio. The bass gain is way more than a TL.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Post 2102

481167d1430757826-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-cornu-chamber.png

No, I never did - no need to as my driver chamber volume is fine. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work though. That was 4 yrs ago!

Hello all, just want to chime in on the Cornus Cal dropped off. First of all the listening room is pretty basic, its an office space usually reserved for construction workers, listening to safety and tech seminars rather than speakers. Hard surfaces all around, but for my listening test I popped some DIY sound panels on the walls to soften it up a bit. All I can say after hooking them up is OMG! The bass on these are soooo smooth, they handled kick drum with authority! I listened to Coldplays Vida la Vida and I was baffled what was happening. The mids and buttery as well, and the highs were very detailed. Imaging was what I describe as 'airy'. These speakers are amazing. If you placed these in a living room it would disappea. I'm running a Vintage Lafayete Integrated Tube amp rated around 35watts per channel, and using an older Nakamichi CD players as a source, typically I use Paradigms in this listening space. Thanks Cal for letting me listen to these, down the rabbit hole I go.....

I was working on a set of the micro cornus, a la Planet10's pdf, for drivers I scavenged out of some old Creative brand PC speakers, but I was having some trouble getting the dimensions to work properly. My foam board is 5mm thick, which takes up a huge amount of the available space in the micro and narrows the channels. The throats narrowed to 6mm. I estimated the effective area of the drivers at about 31 cm^2. To make the throats big enough, I would have had to make the enclosure about 26cm deep!

Initially I thought about following roughly the same shape as the template but making the throats wider and keeping the lines a constant cross section instead of widening until further out closer to the final flare. That way, the lines could still be about the same length. I started, but realized the scoring and shaping and bending and measuring and re-thinking while flying blind without a template was going to take a lot longer than the time I have allotted for this project.

So, I designed a new template, simplifying the shape to use all straight lines and sharp corners. I also went with 4 throats instead of 2. This should be a lot faster to build. I have no idea how they will sound; I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. I haven't modeled it, as I wouldn't even know where to start, and I don't know the specs on these drivers anyway. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping they sound better than the original enclosures. Here's a picture of where I am now, templates printed and glued to foam board and one of the drivers.

Attachments

• 20190801_162141-2016x1512.jpg
    20190801_162141-2016x1512.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 306