Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Nice ending there, Cal. :)
Yes, it was thanks to you and all the others who inspire me to do it again.
The TB’s are subwoofer drivers. I thought you were making a subwoofer - so doesn’t surprise me that they sound bad as a full range?
These were intended to give the Airborne's in the chrisb cabinets a little help. Wasn't going to work. No way, no how.

With the plate amp, I had gain, 40 to 180hz cut off, and as much or little cabinet stuffing as needed. No matter what, it was a one note wonder. Super disappointing to say the least.
Those Airbornes are the wooden membrane right? Nice drivers - and seems like a match made in heaven for the fine Cornu’s.
Yes, wood cones. They're ok, but not the end all, and might be a little pricey. Very controlled bass but the high end seems a bit ragged and no great extension.
Well done, and a good save there. But what will you do with those nice (Chrisb made?) Aironkens?
hehe, they'll be going back in their cabinets as even when I tried the TB's in the chrisb cabinets, they weren't going to cut it.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 654
Cal is there any salvage opportunity here.
You need to describe the issue with the design. I thought you were intending to make a sub woofer panel.
There might be somthing you can do to save the effort you made.

We need to talk to the captain and work this through. Should I come down for some therapy time to sort things out??

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
When I gave you the design, I recall it needed a really small depth - smaller than the drivers magnet so a bump out would have been required. What depth did you end up making the because I don’t see the bump out. I do recall warning you that there would be a large bass overshoot at the knee if you did not make it thin. The one note sound you describe is consistent with an exaggerated bass peak.

From post 2400:
That W6-1139 has a powerful magnet, make the 48in Cornu only 4in deep. You need to make a bump out to allow the magnet to clear the back panel. Otherwise it has a huge bass spike overshoot at 35Hz.

Last edited:
Almost ready...

Almost finished ...

Last Weekend we put up the attached Monster (with 4 Men!) and i am on the Sunday the Drivers installed and let go through the first Tests.

Unfortunately, there are still a few Problems with leaks in the Chassis Basket Sealings - there is still Air through. Here I

have to cut a matching Rubber Seal. And I have to install one Distant Plate between the two Chassis because the membranes collide.
(No, they do not work in Antiphase!)

First Impression:
Although the Horn is still partially closed (it stands diagonally on the ground, so that one horn opening not quite
is free) and the Walls serve as Horn Mouth enlargement still missing, too.
The Bass is pleasant, very powerful and deeper than the Titanic ... it should fit in well with the two backloaded Horns.

I am currently a little bit excited about how the Device will behave in its final Position ...

But first i have to cut off unnecessary Threaded Rods and close Auxiliary helping Holes.

More to come.

D.W.

So, almost 200 kilos bass horn balanced through the booth ... It was easier than expected - you just have to lay out the floor with the remains of kitchen worktops and pull the monster over it ...: idea2:
With rollers of all kinds you have no chance here in the old building. They dig into the impact sound insulation like a truck in the mud.
At least the little monster is already there, where it should go. It comes about 40 cm higher and 30 cm to the left. In addition, there must be a bucket of paint, this is just the first primer. When it finally hangs on the wall, probably from mid-April to early May, the place will be renovated.
Of course it is not connected yet - the electronics are not finished yet. I will temporarily connect it to the Fostexe with fat inductors at the weekend. Just for fun...
(by the way, the tweeters on the BLH are not connected)
If you look at the picture below, it does not look sooooo huge. I could have built even bigger ...

LG D.W.

Attachments

• Farbe.jpg
    Farbe.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Binford 6100.jpg
    Binford 6100.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 839
Thanks Cal,
how far are you with your Horns?
They are among their brethren in storage as empty cabinets.
Have you ever laid them on the Floor
Yes.
or hung them on a Wall ?
Not these ones.
I ask to estimate the Influence of the Mirror Surface(s) to the Horn Mouth enlargement.
If you are asking how much influence having them mounted to a solid surface has, my experience says it is a lot. It has led me to believe you add a little extra insulation in and around the driver and the horn throats as you gain that back when wall mounted.

Oh, and by the way, you're wrong. Those are soooo huge. I am jealous.

Wadup peeps!

First post here on this seemingly fine forum of yours.

I've been wanting to build a pair of Cornu spiral horns for almost a decade now, but with so many other projects in between it never got beyond 'someday'. Well, 'someday' finally turned into today, and lo and behold this thread has exploded in the last couple of years.

I used the PDF I found here (I think, it was a long time ago) to trace the cutouts in the sheets.
Now, I'm no audio expert by a long shot, but do these spirals seem OK? They seem to open up before closing back in just before the exit.
I'd like to make sure before I waste a sheet of plywood.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Attachments

• Isometric.png
    Isometric.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 523
  • Isometric - no front.png
    Isometric - no front.png
    141 KB · Views: 503
  • Top - no front.png
    Top - no front.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 489
I had to dig a little since it's been a while, but post #30 had the pattern I downloaded and used for some reason.

I'm using a CNC to build these, so I thought I'd go for a smooth spiral shape. However I see the 'standard' angular spiral would be doable too.

Thanks for the info!

First listening impression: First, I connected the bass via a 22mH air choke (1.4 ohms) to the right channel parallel to the Fostex for the first bump test. Because in almost all cases the basses in both channels are equally loud, the location does not matter.

First CD: Philips Classics Concert - Camille-Saint-Saens "Symphony No.3 Organ Concerto" ...
What at first sounded a bit too quiet and restrained turns spontaneously and impressively into the opposite when it's under 40 hertz. Clean, powerful and powerful basses flood the room as if there were no more tomorrow. Bass runs down no longer seem to stop and are also pressed into the room very evenly. But you never have the impression that it is roaring - only loose objects in the apartment rattle along cheerfully.

Pure bass and subjectively the bass reaches 25 hertz with "Full Power" - under it it is thinner, but not quite dead. From about 20 Hz you can still hear good sound, even 16 hertz are still perceptible. Only at 12 Hertz is it over ...

To judge the accuracy of the bass reproduction, I have used various electronic music that I know to record basses "from 0 to 100 in zero seconds" (as opposed to the very slowly ringing in and out of the organ pipes). Again, the same picture: clean and contoured rendered low layers. A very big momentum is immediately noticeable - drum beats, for example, sneak a sneaky into the sofa ... Some pop music brings the tears of terror into your eyes ... (the 12 "mix of" Relax "Frankie Goes to Hollywood should be taken with it do it - then you need a new religion!)

Preliminary conclusion: full success!

The bass horn behaves surprisingly very good-natured, has barely audible resonances (except for the Reso at about 75 Hz, but I disconnect later at 50 Hz with 24dB / oct. And now adapts perfectly well to the Fostex BLH. It's a real pleasure to hear music and discover something new - even though it's far from finished.

That was really worth it! :cool: