• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ETI Hybrid EL34 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally the chassis is complete.

I'm still waiting on the PCBs before I can commence the build.

Yes, I've got the amendments too but thanks for offering.

Attachments

• 20210202_141008.jpg
    20210202_141008.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 225
OK. I couldn't find a 350V transformer so I've doubled up with 2 x 115V transformers. The two transformers are identical with 2 x 115V primaries and 2 x 115V secondaries.

Three of the secondaries in series gives me 345VAC - Close enough to the specified 350V.

My main reservoir caps are made up of 220uF/450V in series, two pairs making 220uF/900V. There are 220K bleed resistors across each of the caps rescued from the original tripler construction.

My concern now is the off-load voltage.

Off-load the B+ measures at approx 550VDC. This is with the PCBs disconnected so only the bleed resistors as load.

On the main PCBs the decoupling caps are only rated at 450V. If you look at the schematic at #31 I am concerned about C2 and C7 (10uF/450V)

Are they going to be subjected to 550V until the valves start conducting and pulling the B+ down to approx 440V ?

Unfortunately I've had to resite the 6V transformer which ghas resulted in an extra hole in the chassis.

Attachments

• 20210205_123139.jpg
    20210205_123139.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Those capacitors will see over 500V if the output valves are not inserted or not conducting, and therefore at every start-up if you are using silicon diode HT rectification. My build uses valve rectification, so I avoid the start up issue, but I can seeing off 500V on the HT it if I unplug the output valves.

There are two solutions I can think of that are not two drastic... One is to source higher voltage capacitors, of course, but I accept that may not always be desirable. Another possibility would be some kind of soft-start for the HT. Assuming that you don't want to go to valve rectification, then other methods include timer circuits with relays to delay the HT (or at least slow it down), or negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistors which can potentially do the same thing by only passing a very small current until they are warmed up. There are many discussions on the HT delay topic on this forum and elsewhere.

I'm predicting that the input valves will start to conduct quite quickly, add to that the charging current of the caps themselves and the B+ after R13 will probably stay comfortably below 500V.

The whole input circuit only needs to draw about 3mA.

What a shame there isn't a 450 zener diode.

The PCBs are under construction

Ooohps, even after many proof reads of my clones of the Maplin PCBs I still found two errors after sending the design off for fabrication.

Never mind, the mistakes are easily corrected. One missing trace has been filled with the green wire that you can see. The other can be corrected with a link on one of the valve bases.

Unfortunately the positions for the two 10uF / 500V caps are a bit crowded. These can be either mounted on the other side of the board or just with slightly extended legs.

I'm struggling to find 47pF Polystyrene caps at 600V. I'm going to have to use ceramic caps.

Attachments

• 20210210_132132.jpg
    20210210_132132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 169
Now I've got a major headache - any pointers would be appreciated.

My valve sockets are mounted from above the chassis with flying leads that need to pass through the PCB.

Any clues how to make the task of locating 18 wires easily ?

One thought is to make two sub-PCBs just to orientate the wires.

So you need to solder 18 stiff wires of slightly different lengths to your tube sockets, thread one after the other wire trough the PCB holes, solder and cut.

Btw, there are no tube sockets that would fit onto the PCB directly?

Best regards!

This is exactly what I ended up doing in the end. It's still a pain in the a**e with two 9 pin sockets but it works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.