• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've now gotten my DAC + JG style buffer cased up and more or less completed. I housed it in a Hammond cast aluminum box, approximately 220mm x 145mm x 50mm. I managed to scrounge up some 1uf 50v BG NX and 100uf 6.3 BG N caps, so I included those in the build. The sound continues to impress me - kudos to JP and Subu. I like the sound slightly better with the JG buffer but there is a lot more cost and work associated with building it this way. One needs an extra transformer and power supply and nearly twice as much room. But the resulting DAC still is reasonably compact and I think it's worth the effort.
---Gary

have heard that BG N don't love bypass - have you tried to remove smd bypasses - or completely new 1 uF MKP cap

Hi skylab

I see we've got the same goal, I'm trying to connect Amanero's stick using I2S too ;)

From what I've understood, in PCM mode, 5 pins are concerned :
3 - Data Stream
4 - Clock
5 - Frame Sync
6 - Master Clock
8 - Ground (don't know if concerned)

Phil

Yes you need ground connection, ideally you will keep the ground return path as close as possible to each of the individual signals.

I've tried without connecting Gnd pin and I could confirm that, in my case, it need to be connected.
Terrible & persistent "Hum" appear when unconnected ;)
Can't go further my experiment, my old test laptop can't provide enough power to the USB device :(
The device in well recognised in W7/64 with Amanero's drivers.

I was using another DAC for which MCLK use was necessary (WM8740/41)
My ES9023 has got a WM8804, not configured in I2S mode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
I've now gotten my DAC + JG style buffer cased up and more or less completed. I housed it in a Hammond cast aluminum box, approximately 220mm x 145mm x 50mm. I managed to scrounge up some 1uf 50v BG NX and 100uf 6.3 BG N caps, so I included those in the build. The sound continues to impress me - kudos to JP and Subu. I like the sound slightly better with the JG buffer but there is a lot more cost and work associated with building it this way. One needs an extra transformer and power supply and nearly twice as much room. But the resulting DAC still is reasonably compact and I think it's worth the effort.
---Gary

Where did you get those Black Gates?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Where did you get those Black Gates?

Several people have asked that question. I have a small stash of BG caps that I bought a few years ago when prices were high as opposed to really, really high. Unfortunately, I don't have enough to help everyone who wants to try them out on this DAC. The 100uf 6.3v cap BG N was left over from an old project and the 1uf 50v BG NX was NOS.

It sounds like JP has some alternatives in mind that he likes for the V3 board, so stay tuned for his recommendations.

---Gary

Several people have asked that question. I have a small stash of BG caps that I bought a few years ago when prices were high as opposed to really, really high. Unfortunately, I don't have enough to help everyone who wants to try them out on this DAC. The 100uf 6.3v cap BG N was left over from an old project and the 1uf 50v BG NX was NOS.

It sounds like JP has some alternatives in mind that he likes for the V3 board, so stay tuned for his recommendations.

---Gary
Jean-Paul & Subbu are cooking an improved V3, not only gold palted ;)
I think they'll give some good advices about BG caps replacement.

If you can't wait improving your V2.6, some values are still available here : Capacitors_Electrolytic_Black Gate

Jean-Paul & Subbu are cooking an improved V3, not only gold palted ;)
I think they'll give some good advices about BG caps replacement.

If you can't wait improving your V2.6, some values are still available here : Capacitors_Electrolytic_Black Gate

Erratum : were available... Seems that it's not the case right now.
But : Jean-Paul & Subbu are cooking us a very good alternative to unaffordable BlackGate's...
Let's see what will be offered soon ;)

p2p subu dac in synch mode

I built this subu dac in p 2 p. I didn't think I would succeed but amazingly, it does sound lovely. Only change from BOM is the muse caps and, of course, the synch clock. The muse make the sound a little too bright on the highs.

Nonetheless, I learned a lot with this project. Just want to ask (again) the designers if they can have a provision for sync clock in the next version. Something like what the B3 provides.

Thanks for this great and easy to build dac.

aPTPsubu1.jpg

aptpsubu5.jpg

aptpsubu7.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.