ELEKIT TU-8200R

Hello - I'm new to the forum but had a comment and a couple of questions about the TU-8200R. Hopefully this is the right place to post.

I have to say that this was my first amp build and I could not be happier. The build process, considering it was my first, was simple and enjoyable. I had it built in just under a day (probably 8 hours total working time) and it worked on the first try. The sound quality is fantastic - it lives up to the hype and the reviews that I had been reading. I've owned many amps and this is my new favorite. So now, of course, I'm trying to figure out how to make things even better...

So, my questions are twofold:

1. The amp sounds terrific on it's own, but I tried pairing it with a preamp (mostly for stepped attenuator volume control rather than for additional sources). To do so, I turned the volume on the amp all the way up. Unfortunately, when I do this, I hear audible hiss coming from my Klipsch Heresy speakers. It's not terrible, but it's distracting - it can be faintly heard even from 10 feet away. I know that tube amps aren't always dead quiet, but I can't tell if this was a flaw somewhere in my build or if this is normal for the design? Any help would be appreciated. I can hear the hiss whether there is a source plugged in or not. And, the hiss does track with the volume. When I use the amp at about 1/3rd the way on the volume knob, I would describe the amp as silent.

2. Besides tube rolling, are there other mods that folks recommend for the 8200R? I'm aware that folks have looked at upgrading the volume pot. I've also been following the thread re: the Lundahl upgrade, but I'm confused as to whether or not that will ever be available? Are there capacitor upgrades or other tweaks that folks have found worthwhile?

Thank you!

Hi Iskiii,

I am just beginner in HiFi, DYI electronics and soldering. I am assembling the TU-8200R now. So I cannot answer your question 1. Maybe later, after I assemble the pre-amp TU-8500 too, but this will take me a while.
Regarding the question 2, I am sure Victor will offer you a set of components for the upgrade. I am from Europe so I bought these components from GB, here is the link Elekit TU-8200R 6L6GC / EL34 / 6CA7 / KT88 / 6550 Single Ended Tube Amplifier kit | Hifi Collective. There is a list of components they recommend to replace.
I bought Takman resistors, Mundorf capacitors, some ELNA capacitors, TKD potentiometer and better tubes. But I did not consider the fact that almost all the staff is bigger size then the original components. It is a challenge for me to install it properly.
I found an Australian company on the internet selling timber wood grain panels including wood control knobs for Elekit kits. It looks interesting for me: Elekit timber wood grain panels for TU-8200R
– Tube Sound Audio
Just for your interest.

I wish you good luck.
Best regards
Milan

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi, I am trying to install the TKD 2CP-601 pot into my new TU-8200R instead of the original ALPS.

Good luck with that! I installed one into my TU-8200. It is a lot of hassle.

The only way for me how to install the TKD is to cut out the piece of PCB from the module 2. I have to warp the TKD pins to fit them to the board. The cutted board needs to be soldered to the module 2 with some wires. The TKD will be attached to the device only thanks the module 3

Exactly

But I need to drill a small hole in the module 3 for the pin on the front side of the TKD. I need to consider also the fact that the cutted board will need to be moved little bit down and back 5 mm and there is the spacer

That is because that fixing pin is on the other side compared to the Alps models. I used a custom spacer so I did not need to drill a hole in the PCB.

Has anyone some advice for me please?

My advice is - forget it. My sample was way out of balance at lower volumes. Other than that, I heard negligible sonic differences between this one and the small Alps stock pot. I really can't understand why this TKD became so popular.

I have replaced it with an Alps RK27, which is bigger, but much easier to install.

There are much better and easier ways to improve the sound of the TU-8200 than a pot replacement.

- Ferenc

TKD 2CP-601

Dear Ferenc,

Thank you very much for your comments. It was appreciated. I considered all cons and prons and decided to install the TKD 601 after I paid so much money for it. And I think I managed it. Hopefuly it will work after I turn the amplifier on. I am attaching some pictures.

Best regards

Milan

Attachments

• TKD601 front.jpg
    TKD601 front.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 601
  • TKD601 back.jpg
    TKD601 back.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 689
  • TKD601 bottom 1.jpg
    TKD601 bottom 1.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 582
  • TKD601 bottom 2.jpg
    TKD601 bottom 2.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 562
Joined 2018
Paid Member
The electrolytic caps 330mf C13,14,33,34,35 that comes with a kit rated 25v can I replace it with 330mf/16v Panasonic polymer OS-CON's as replacement per Ferenc upgrade recommendation? Your comments is greatly appreciated.

All these caps have been upgraded from 220uF to 330uF in the "R" model, which practically covers that I suggested in terms of values. If you look at the reference voltages 11, 12, 17, 18 and 28 then you should measure these DC voltages on the particular caps: C33=6V, C34=5V, C35= 1.2V, C13=C14=0.5V.

Now you know the answer...

I would not bother with C33 and C34. On the other hand, the quality of C13 and C14 are very important as they impact the sound at least as much as C1, C2, C5, C6 cathode bypass caps (those that I no longer use btw). I upgraded C13/14 to 470uF OS-CON's.

Thank you Ferenc for the advice. This is my first vacuum tube build so I'm taking my time going through the kit parts list to make sure I have everything and will do the critical changes that you recommended also the kit comes with JJ's ECC82's and JJ's 6GLC6 and this probably much better than the Chinese 12AU7's is that right? From what I read on your thread that C3,C4,C9,C10 coupling caps is a must to upgrade and it will make a significant improvement to the sound. Is there anyone tried other brand that's much cheaper comparable to the most expensive Mundorf Supreme EVO - SilverGold Film Capacitors :)

Regards,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,
I have just finished my TU-8200R. I replaced resistors and capacitors based on hificollective recommendation:

(REX50-010) - 2R2 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 2
(REX50-250) - 220R 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 6
(REX50-490) - 22K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 9
(REX50-450) - 10K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 5
(REX50-570) - 100K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 6
(REX50-630) - 330K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 10
(REX50-100) - 12R 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 9
(REX50-330) - 1K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 10
(REX50-500) - 27K 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 4
(REX50-030) - 3R3 0.5W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor x 8

(ELNAC-115) - 220uF 16V Elna Cerafine Electrolytic Capacitor x 4
(ELNAS-140) - 330uF 25V Elna Silmic II Electrolytic Capacitor x 2 - LIMITED SPACE FIT HORIZONTALLY
EVOSGO-020: 0.1uF 650V Mundorf Mcap EVO Silver Gold Oil Capacitor x 4

If you wish, check their web Elekit TU-8200R 6L6GC / EL34 / 6CA7 / KT88 / 6550 Single Ended Tube Amplifier kit | Hifi Collective

JJ tubes are produced in Slovakia, former Tesla company in Czechoslovakia. I am Slovak too.

Best regards,
Milan

Joined 2018
Paid Member
(...)also the kit comes with JJ's ECC82's and JJ's 6GLC6 and this probably much better than the Chinese 12AU7's is that right?

I hope so...

From what I read on your thread that C3,C4,C9,C10 coupling caps is a must to upgrade and it will make a significant improvement to the sound.

It was certainly not me who wrote that. My experience with these Mundorf Supreme whatever capacitors is that at least in this amp they are just marginally better than the Amtrans AMCO caps that came with the "DX" upgrade kit for the original model. The issue is that cap replacement takes significant time compared to tube rolling and our auditory memory is short. We seldom have 2 units of the same amp.

- Ferenc

Joined 2018
Paid Member
the R version includes four cathode BY PASS caps. These 4 caps must be low ESR.
This is why the R version is using OS-CON.
The stock R version (C1, C2, C5 & C6) OS-con is very low in ESR. It does not make sense to replace caps with higher ESR .

Yes, and no one said the opposite here. These caps were included in the "DX" upgrade kit for the original model but are standard in the revised amp.

I read an article on the internet where some guy tested more electrolytic capacitors how they influence the sound. He wrote that the caps with lower ERS did not win the comparison. The top of his chart was occupied by specialized sound capacitors even with higher ESR value. The cap with a very low ESR did not sound well in his test.
I know nothing about electronics but still I hope it was not a mistake to install the caps recommended by guys from Hificollective. To be honest, I am not able to recognize the quality of the sound because I'm deaf like an artillery mare. And I am too lazy to re-install the caps and try to recognize any sound difference.

Do you think the tubes are not working optimally when I used those ELNA Cerafine caps instead of low ESR Panasonics? Thank you.

Last edited: