"electronic" music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Peter,
The feeling is mutual and to learn is one of the reasons i came to this forum in the first place.
There`s a lot to read about.
Keep up the good works, but don`t take me too seriously.
And right back on topic, i didn`t see Zappa`s album Jazz from hell here and that`s too bad, for it`s a nice example of his work with the synclavier.
Ther`s only one song on it with "a band" (Steve Vai), but a cdplayer has progammable abilities which is an advantage in this case.
I`ve seen the Wordsoundlabel already mentioned, but i like to get some xtra attention for Prince Charming and his album Psychotropical Heathwave for a humorous touch in all this electronic machinery and does humor belong in music ?
Most defenitly.
See ya.

Attachments

• princec1.jpg
    princec1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 255
Music Suggestions

Hey guys! Nice thread, I must say. Just thought that I'd throw in some suggestions for good electronic listening. First of all, for some really nice accessible music, go to www.quarkkent.com/main.php. Download some tracks off his album "16 Neptunes". They are all free (This is how music should be!), and they are all excellent tracks. Beautiful in sound and structure, a dream to listen to. Standouts include "Last song", "Sylvia" and "Binary Stars" to name just a few.
For something a bit less accessible but equally well done, try Autechre's "Incunabula" album. For very inaccessible music, all of
Autechre's other albums comprise warped and twisted beats that can be hard to listen to for the uninitiated, but is very rewarding in it's subtlety and depth. The list goes on and on, but they are a couple of things to check out!!

Float Tanks in the Listening Room

peranders-

Ah yes! I remember Altered States and the electronic music that accompanied the film. Of course, the sensory deprivation experiments (float tanks)

Years ago, was the nonconformist kid that played with soldering irons and chassis cutter dies in the lab...my heart was into point-to-point, fabric braided wiring, transformers, chokes, and vacuum tubes.

Anything that involved the pure song of banks of oscillators and wave shaping circuits was indeed pure electronic music in my mind. I listened to Brian Eno's Ambient series, Music For Airports, the early stuff from Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita's adaptations of the works of Bach and Holst.....such fond memories indeed!

I enjoy wrapping my ears in the pure soundscapes of electronic music, including the hybrid sampled or mixed works, such as Mark Isham's trumpet work or enchanting sounds of the "glass organ".

Any suggestions of artists whose work is in this style?

Attachments

• de altered states.gif
    de altered states.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 234
Check out www.epitonic.com for some amazing and free downloads of some of the most innovative recent recordings of electronic music!

http://www.epitonic.com/genres/electronic.html

It's really a great site:att'n: :att'n: :att'n:

Don't forget Stockhausen, John Cage and even Steve Reich for their contributions to what would become electronic music.

For those Downtempo, Asian Beat, D'n'B fans out there check Nitin Swahney. His albums sound amazing.

Early Stuff

There's a couple of CD albums of early electronic music that have been recently released:

OHM: the early gurus of electronic music : 1948 - 1980
(ellipsis arts CD3670)

An excellent three CD compilation.
Nothing else I've run across has anything close to the variety and quality of electronic sub-genres.
Everything from Rockmore playing a theremin to ENO.
They've intentionally left out rock-oriented electronic music (to be explored in a future release).
It includes a book with comments and the history of the individual pieces and composers.
There's a couple of pieces that may be historically significant, but that I don't get into. But 95% of it is fantastic.
It's also a great tribute to modern audio restoration. The sound quality, especially on some of the earlier recordings, is amazing.

Highly mood-altering. It will take you to many different places.

Raymond Scott: Manhattan Research Inc.
(Basta 90782)
Scott was a pioneer in electronic composition and electronic instruments. He created synthesizers and sequencers that were forerunners to MOOG. He was one of the first to experiment with Artificial Intelligence creation of music.
This two CD set is very interesting and entertaining. It's not 'serious' music in the sense that most of the stuff on the OHM collection is. He was the first to make many of the sounds that are now familiar to us.

Also check out Raymond Scott's 'Soothing Sounds for Baby'
It's completely different from Manhattan Research.
This three CD release contains the original 'ambient music'.
Excellent listening.

I've got tons of other electronic stuff in my collection. Lots of stuff on vinyl that hasn't been reissued yet. Not enough time right now to talk about all of it...

Regards,
Brian.:cubist:

Hi,

Nice thread with good suggestions.

Don't forget Stockhausen, John Cage and even Steve Reich for their contributions to what would become electronic music.
Yes these are the well-known ones, together with Philip Glass. For me these are more the mainstream. Stockhausen is not my piece of cake, much too much “German”.

On the pop side I am missing “Emerson Lake and Palmer” with their implementation of Mousorgky’s “Pictures at an exhibition” and even “The Moody Blues” did a lot electronically.

Also a very interesting composer is Pierre Boulez. He did a lot of mixing up natural sounds with electronic sounds.

Also have a look at Morton Subotnick. This is to me very interesting music with interesting and good compositions. “A Sky of Cloudless Sulphur” is an old one of him I have on vinyl. This is music that gets never boring (at least for me). More about: http://www.eamdc.com/06.html

;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes these are the well-known ones, together with Philip Glass. For me these are more the mainstream.
Hi,
I`am not gonna argue with you about "mainstream", but i think this guy should be added to the list.
Also a nice suggestion is this lady
See ya...

Hi Tito,

Please don’t misunderstand, when I say mainstream I do not regard it as a negative qualification. But more in a popular sense, these composers make/made electronic music that is the easiest to listen to.

What is the big fun about electronic music? Well to me it is something to get ratio and emotion into harmony. To do that with a complex and technical “instrument” like electronics is a big fight, or maybe better, a big struggle. It is too easy to come up with “The Beauty and the Beast”. Unfortunately a lot of electronic music is just this.

Hi Pjotr,

Pjotr said:
On the pop side I am missing “Emerson Lake and Palmer” with their implementation of Mousorgky’s “Pictures at an exhibition” and even “The Moody Blues” did a lot electronically.

Nice you mentioned ELP, they indeed have some nice stuff!

I don't know Subotnick, I guess I'll have to download something......

But more in a popular sense, these composers make/made electronic music that is the easiest to listen to.
Hééy Pjotr,
I know you mean well for i remember a discussion about Morton Subotnic ( wich data were lost abruptly and in a sad way :( ) and one should at least listen to him, but i don't think Gordon Mumma is very accessible, if you don't mind?
It is too easy to come up with “The Beauty and the Beast”. Unfortunately a lot of electronic music is just this.
That`s true, but i find that goes for a lot of other types of music as well, not just electronic instruments and doesn`t beauty lay in (this case) the ear of the beholder?

Electronic music - surely music not produced by analogue movement (i.e. string twang, skin resonance, reed buzz, etc) but music produced by an electronic simulation of such.
My favourite - CAN, lates 60's through the 70's to now, German artistes by my definition about 12% electronic but still just great.
It has been my pleasure to educate y'all.
:D ;)

A Radio program that i have listened to for years and is now not only on PBS stations in the USA but on XM Radio as well. The Program Music from the Harts of space is great for Ambient. While not all their music is purly Electronic it is however great at Sonic Landscapes. This program has informed my of alot of music i ended up Buying that i Previously not heard. the site has searchable Playlist and is also a part of the Record label Harts of Space. anyway you might find it interesting and may allready have heard of it but for those that have not see http://www.hos.com/radio.html

best electronic music...

(In my not-so-humble opinion) the most amazing electronic artists has to be Boards Of Canada. Downbeat, moody, perhaps even psychedelic. Inspiring, imaginative. Fantastic.

Thier music is in part inspired by the unusual sound and mood of National Film Board Of Canada nature documentaries. Until recently, I was unaware that these types of films were unique to Canada. I grew up with them.

Get thier album "Geogaddi". Its absolutely essential to any music collection.

Aside from that i listen to a lot of Trip-hop, which fits in at least as pseudo-electronic. Makes heavier use of deep bass then nearly any other genre. Good thing I've got Adire Shivas in my mains ;p
Picks: Massive Attack, Portishead.

I'd say that electronic music is anything that uses primarily electronic sound sources or manipulates conventional sound sources in a way that makes them clearly different from the original source - which means that we start with the theremin in the 1930's, move up through the bleepy classical avant garde of the sixties and the synth-wielding corporate rock bands of the seventies, and end up with: more or less every pop record released since New Order's Blue Monday and everything that we'd call Hiphop, Dance, Techno, House, etc.

Some people seem to not know their electronic music history, so here's a quick run down:
House originated in Chicago, mid-eighties. Techno is from Detroit, same period, but the two are more or less unrelated. Hiphop and Jungle/Drum'n'bass as we know them today, grew in New York, out of electro. When Hiphop and Jungle came to Britain, they evolved into triphop (Portishead and Massive Attack, mainly) and breakbeat (Fatboy Slim, for instance). Techno was taken up in drug taking hippie hangouts, like Goa and Ibiza, which gave us trance techno (If I had a time machine and a sawed off shotgun...). As such, calling all of these, and more, sub-genres of house music is about as imprecise and incorrect as calling it all techno. You don't hear people calling Limp Bizkit country cos it's based around electric guitars and in 4/4 time, do you? There's alot more to it than that, I'm sure you'll agree.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.