"electronic" music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jim: that music doesn't sound completely unlike Enigma.

The earliest synthesizer was the Telharmonium, patented in 1897. http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/telharmonium/

I like all kinds of stuff: all the flavours of house (deep, garage, glitch, prog, tribal..), techno, happy hardcore, d'n'b, electro, disco, funk, psytrance, booty house... I listen to dj mixes more than albums.

I haven't read the whole thread, but people have already mentioned most of my favourites. But, I'll mention Westbam, Eon, Messiah, Scooter, Prodigy, Acen, Moby, Daft Punk, everything on Plus 8, Sven Vath, Underwold, Inner City, Deskee, S'Express, and going back further, Severed Heads, New Order, Human League, Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode (and any other group with Vince Clarke), Our Daughters Wedding, Georgio Moroder, and Tangerine Dream.

warp records -e.g. early aphex twin (polygon window)
squarepusher, speedy J, plaid/black dog, LFO, autchre.

Photek-modus operandi
underworld-second touhgest in the infants & dub no bass with my head man.
early luke slater.
robert leiner-organised noise & source experience.
fax records-bill laswell & pete namlook.
orbital, ORB.

many others i can't think of at the moment.

David M said:
Electronic music had its real start with Musique Concrete in the 30's and forties. It was given its name by Pierre Schaeffer.

Someone above (sorry forgot who) mentioned OHM: the early gurus of electronic music : 1948 - 1980 (ellipsis arts CD3670). THANKS! I hadn't known about it; I'll definely be picking it up.:cool:

YAH!!!

cool disk. Absolute must have disk for anyone interested in the history of electronic music. Kind of mind blowing to think of guys messing around with that stuff in the 30s.

As for the beginnings of "popular" electronic music, I always thought that brian eno released his stuff earlier that 78 which is when the donna summer thing came out i think. Although this isn't a track with a continous repetitive electronic background, which is a dominant feature of contemporary EM, dark side of the moon has an arpeggiated sequence on a synth on that track with the foot steps. Aesthetically, you have to give steve riech some credit for refining the minimalist style.

Subset of Electronica that is idea / emotion dense?

Hello-

I've been on the searching for years for electronic music that fits my tastes. I consider electronic music to be anything that leverages digital technology make music that impossible / impractical with analog technology.

The two vague criteria for music that I enjoy:

1. Artists must have something interesting to say: The music must at all times be going somewhere or coming from somewhere. If the same beat is played more than a few bars in a row without something else interesting happening musically, I get bored. Also, one good idea on one track on one album does not a good artist make.

2. Artists must be capable of saying it: It must be clear that the artist has a base level of technical skill. By this I mean the ability to convey whatever emotions the artist has. There are artists who you can tell must have something to say, but it just all comes out gibberish because they simply have not mastered their medium. In the same way that large brass instruments have a natural tendency to make loud atonal farting noises unless properly tamed by the musician, computers have a tendency to repeat the same thing over and over.

I am currently on a huge Bjork kick. It took me years to be man enough to be able to withstand/enjoy her silly-putty-rolled-in-glass-shards diction, but she is now one of my favorite artists due to the originality her compositions, her range of expression, and fearless creativity.

I'm also a big fan of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Admittedly they are hardly "electronic" in the sense that they primarily add some synthesized elements to an organic framework rather than adding sampled organics to an electronic framework. Same confluence of creativity and technical virtuosity.

Do you guys have any recommendations for electronica that stands out in the above ways? Is electronic music still waiting for someone to show the world how to play the computer the way Glen Gould showed the world how to play Bach on a piano and the way Jimi Hendrix showed the world how to properly distort (and torch) an electric guitar?

I have only listened to about ten or fifteen electronic albums, chosen rather arbitrarily, so I'm very hopeful I just haven't been exposed to the good stuff. Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for your recommendations,

Drew Wagner

try going to a web site like epitonic.com. Pick anything in the electronic section and use the crossreference thing in the bottom right corner. When you find something that kind of appeals to you then click on similar artists. I found more interesting music on this site in a few days than I had in 10 years before the internet. If you cant find something you like there then your probably just not an EM kind of guy.

Most of the classics are already listed in this thread though.

If you want to hear some of the best contemporary EM out there, go to Warp records website and listen to some of the stuff there. They are the blue note of the 90s if you ask me. Most of the major players of the last decade are there. Quite remarkable actually. Listen to the newest Prefuse 73 stuff or kid 606 (names might be a bit off but Im sure you'll know who I mean.

Have fun.

ahhh, wendy carlos, vangelis, and brian eno... three great musicians... oh yea don't forget the aphex twin, he has some masterpieces in almost every electronic genre there is.

I am a dj, and am real into all of the dark pounding forms of techno, house, trance, and DNB. Anyone in here a fan of futuristic techno? quality rave music is what i'm all about... maybe i should post a mixtape on the forum for everyone to hear (if i ever find someone taht doesn't charge big money to post files that big...) I just wish i had a 3rd turntable to do more technical sets.

First Shpongle album reissued

"Are You Shpongled?" was reissued last year. It had been unavailable for several years. It's different (more ambient) and significantly better than "Tales of the Inexpressible" IMO.

A new album "Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost" was released this year. The production of all these albums is nearly faultless.

Anyway, if you don't have it go out and get "Are You Shpongled?" while you can. I have blown away a few electronic music sceptics with the track "Divine Moments of Truth". Nearly everyone who hears the CD asks to borrow it.

Attachments

• shpongle.jpg
    shpongle.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 217
Electronic Music Guide

This guide should help if you want to differentiate all the sub-genres of Electronic music. -It's to be taken lightly. ;)

Personally, I enjoy Swedish / Tribal Techno.

Also, if you want test exactly how well your room/ears can sense the lowest frequencies your speakers will express, there's the Jungle genre and also lots of great Techno stuff from Tresor in Berlin.

Finally, if you really want to geek out and get all into the 'scene', you may amuse yourself on XVI where you'll find all ranges of things related to electronic music.

One last thing, whenever my stereo feels weak, I can saturate my whole essence with SPLs right around the corner from where I live : Stereo Club's System

Some nice ear candy laid back electronic music in the pure techno vein:

Rhythm & Sound / Rhythm & Sound : pure minimal dub.. amazing production.. evidently these guys are mastering engineers as their day jobs.

Jan Jelinek : Loop Finding Jazz Records: abstract glitchy loop stuff, but warm sounding ear candy rather than challenging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.