• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

Hello all:
I have a question regarding the output transformer options; I have a nice set of 8k transformers salvaged from an Ampex 6973 30w amp. Will these work on this project. how do I choose the correct tube to optimize these transformers. I would like to use a 6ca7 or 6v6 if I can with these transformers.
Thanks for the help

Hi SCD & meanman1964,

Regarding output transformer optimum primary impedance are depending of output tubes of course, but these tubes are very tolerant and will accept some variations without any problem other than some lower output power as mctavish says :)

As a suggestion indicated in the BOM, commonly used impedances are as follow :

6V6 will use 8k OTP 15W
6L6 or KT66 will use 6.6k OPT 25W
EL34. 6CA7, KT88, 6550, etc... use in general 4.3k OTP 50W, but Toroid suggest the EL34PP which is specified at 6.6k while Hammond suggest the 1650N which is 4.3k, that's why I suggested to use the KT88PP specified at 4k also for EL34...

Hi mctavish,

Nice and quick work, be careful with the MOSFET in the bottom to connect them correctly !

Rgds,
Marc

hello Marc:
perhaps my question was unclear. I already have the output transformers. I am curious as to what tube I should chose to optimize the potential of the transformer, rather than deciding on the tube and choosing a transformer to optimize the tube. From your response, I gather you think the best tube for these transformers will be a 6v6? Are there other tubes that are optimized with an 8k load.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Hello Crispy:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes the transformers were made by Triad. The end bells were black rather than grey. As noted earlier, they were wound for Ampex in a PP 6973, 30watt console stereo. I got the salvaged amp as a gift from a neighbour. I plan on using the power transformer and the output transformers in this amp project.
I will investigate the 6L6 family as you suggest.

So I have chosen 3 options for layout..... I thought I would ask the other builders what they think would be the best choice...

Here is #1

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 686
Hello mctavish:

It looks like it is going to be tight squeeze.
I like tubes up front, so #1 or #2.

You might also consider two separate chassis. It is a bit of a pain in the butt with double everything and separate volume controls, but that chassis you have might be a little too tight. Check real close before you start drilling and cutting.

And I did dream about it!!! :D

I think I am going to go with option 3, it provides the most space between the output transformers and the power transformers and it keeps the connections close.

The chassis is 4'' x 14'' x 17'' so its quite big, the biggest that Hammond offers.....

The whole thing will be Quite heavy when done!!!:eek:

Today the holes are going in the chassis!!!