• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

Buy some other things from mouser over 50 euros and you have free shipping!

Unfortunately, not true for Serbia. Furthermore, they ship only using DHL, and if my order costs more than 50 EUR, DHL charges more for customs inspection :redhot:

That's cool! I've found that part on Aliexpress, will order from there.

What about IPSA70R750P7S? http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2577437.pdf

It seems to have really nice Crss, and I believe I can easily buy it locally.

Marc,

I've built one channel of the ECL86/PCL86 version of the baby huey and it's working ok but voices (when anyone says 'S') sound overstated (if that makes sense). I've tried different speakers, triode and pentode modes but it makes no difference. I'm wondering if it's the OPT'S I'm using which are Toroidy 10K push-pull for the ECL86. Any ideas that can help would be great.

Regards

Polycell

If someone is looking for the EL34 boards from the group buy. I have two boards with the parts kits for for the boards, less the transformers and case
You can email me at carlthess@yahoo.com
And I’m in the USA . If your in the UK or close . The shipping is high as one member asked about it and he did not like the cost of shipping. But shipping in the states will only be able 12.95 or less

Pcl86 Baby Huey with parallel Tubes

Hi

Since I have a few of those pcl86 tubes I thought about paralleling them, with four tubes per channel.
That would mean paralleled triode and pentode sections...
Is that a practical and good idea?
If I would do that I guess that it would be advantageous to put a bias network on every single output pentode, but I it is probably no problem to share the cathode ccs on the preamp triodes. I would have to double the current of course...
What do you guys think?

Hi polycell,

Sorry to have missed your post, sent more than one month ago, again :mad:

It is not an excuse but I was also on Holidays and I inform EL34 Baby Huey forum about that, but didn't check EL84 forum...

Your problem should not come from the 10k output transformer, I have used a 10k Hammond 1609 transformer without any problem, see picture :) May be you have some high frequency oscillations, you can check with a scope if you have one. Be sure to have well balanced input stage with about 140 to 160 V on both triodes plates.

In the future, it is better to post your questions on the EL34 Baby Huey which I am using for all subject including EL84, ECL86 and even the preamplifier :D

Best regards,
Marc

Attachments

• PCL86 avec transfo Hammond 1609 10 kohms.JPG
    PCL86 avec transfo Hammond 1609 10 kohms.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 803
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gingertube’s 6sl7/6v6 “everyday BH”

Ian,

I recently spent many, very pleasant hours reading the BH saga in preparation for my first build using the GB3 boards.

Unless I missed a later update you are listening to a 6sl7/6v6 BH most regularly at this time. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions regarding it.

1. Did you build it according to the schematic in your post #604, including the shunt feedback taken from the UL taps. If not, which schematic did you follow?

2. If yes, were any modifications to #604 needed to accomodate the 6SL7.

3. What power supply changes were made to the PS in your post #602.

4. Could you please comment on why you are using this version, rather than the EL84 BH, which you thought was more accurate, etc.

Thanks so much.

Francois

Francois,
Yes I am listening to a 6SL7/6V6 version as per post #602 with feedback from the anodes of the 6V6.
The 47K resistors from output tube anodes are 39K with the 6V6 and the cross connect feedback set resistor is IIRC 9K1 else post #602 schematic exactly.

I did try running the feedback from the UL taps as per #603 post but eventually abandoned it and reverted to the post #602 schematic.
Power Supply is as per post 604 schematic.

I'm using this version because:
1) I like it
2) The EL84 original prototypes are sitting on a shelf waiting for me to rebuild them with fixed bias and source followers.
3) No one offered me a free set of boards for the design.

I have transformer sets to suit both EL84 and EL34 versions.

BUT

Once I clear some Git Amp projects the next Stereo Amp build will be a quad of KT88 in U/L + Cathode Feedback (maybe some BH scheme too) using some Plitron VDV-2100-CFB/H Output Trannies I have had sitting on the shelf for 5 yeras or so. I also have the matching Plitron Torroidal Power Transformers.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I did try running the feedback from the UL taps as per #603 post but eventually abandoned it and reverted to the post #602 schematic.

<snip>

Once I clear some Git Amp projects the next Stereo Amp build will be a quad of KT88 in U/L + Cathode Feedback (maybe some BH scheme too) using some Plitron VDV-2100-CFB/H Output Trannies I have had sitting on the shelf for 5 yeras or so. I also have the matching Plitron Torroidal Power Transformers.

Ian

Thank you for the speedy reply. One last question. Did you abandon the UL tap FB scheme because the BH sounded better with FB from the anodes?

Thanks again for the learning experience you provided me, and many others in the BH thread over many years. I wish you enough spare time and great success with your next Amp endeavour. It would be wonderful to follow that when you get to it.

Kind regards,
Francois