• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 schematic confusion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
L'esprit d'escalier: lose the 500K input pot. Assuming you have a preamp, just use a fixed resistor between 100K and 1M (value not critical). Reason is the Miller capacitance of the 12AX7 stage- at lower volume control settings, the high end will be severely compromised. For a 100pF Miller capacitance and a 500K source, the f3 is slightly higher than 3kHz. If the control is always operated near full on, this is less of an issue, but why have redundant volume controls if you don't need them?

ouch! might as well keep the 12au7s in storage. :D

also found this morning some 6201, and 5751 in my tube basket. already I am having a tube lineup for tube rolling. :smash:

i've ordered a separate tranny which has a 3.15-0-3.15 @2A (for 6sn7 and 12ax7 heaters) and 100V @50mA (for bias supply). I was going for a 50V winding (same as extra winding in EICO orig tranny) but I figured it would be best to have more voltage when I need less than have less voltage when I need more. :D

Like you advised, I'll just setup a divider network with a pot in the middle and fixed resistors on top and bottom to obtain a suitable range for the bias adjustment.

I'm glad you approved of the schematic, I start collecting parts for this project. :cool:

SY said:
L'esprit d'escalier: lose the 500K input pot. Assuming you have a preamp, just use a fixed resistor between 100K and 1M (value not critical). Reason is the Miller capacitance of the 12AX7 stage- at lower volume control settings, the high end will be severely compromised. For a 100pF Miller capacitance and a 500K source, the f3 is slightly higher than 3kHz. If the control is always operated near full on, this is less of an issue, but why have redundant volume controls if you don't need them?

deciding to pot or not to pot can be hard since I usually use my cdp direct to my amp, but if the pot will ruin the sound then I won't think twice. could there be any other work around on this?

I am thinking of using this schematic but replacing the 7025 with a 6SL7 as the 7025 is not available in India what other changes would i need to make?

Attachments

• 7025-6sn7 eicohf87fixedbias3.gif
    7025-6sn7 eicohf87fixedbias3.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 440
hi navin,

TP1 and TP2 are test points, I will use this to measure the cathode voltage (or the voltage drop across 10 ohms resistors) to calculate the plate (plus screen) current per tube.

the triode/ultralinear switch is not in the schematic, i implemented that in my other amp. it is fairly simple because the switch is just toggling the screen through the ul tap of the opt tranny for ultralinear operation or to the plate of the opt tube for triode operation.

JojoD

JojoD818 said:
the triode/ultralinear switch is not in the schematic, i implemented that in my other amp. it is fairly simple because the switch is just toggling the screen through the ul tap of the opt tranny for ultralinear operation or to the plate of the opt tube for triode operation.

the ckt we have is configured for UL right? (as the screen is connected to the UL tap) then to configure it for triode all one has to do is connect the screen of the EL34 to the plate? shouldn't there be a resistor between the screen and the plate?

BTW the 7025 is a dual triode right? so you need only 1 per stereo amp? right? if so maybe your ckt should read as 1/2 7025?

BTW what is the primary of the OPT 6.6k or 5K?

JojoD818 said:
yes you got it right. also there should be a resistor there but I tried it without one. i've seen amps use 100 ohms in there.

yes the ckt uses one triode (per channel) of a dual triode 7025/12AX7/ECC83. and yes again, for clarification purposes, it should read/labeled 1/2 7025.

100 ohms? isn't that low. I would have guess 1-1.5-2.2K.

I guess one can use a ECC88 (lower gain) or 6SL7 or any dual triode then?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.