Ebay cheap TDA7498 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afterlife2,

It's going to be fine. Don't stress over it. I think you'll find that power supply will be alright.

Later on you might want to purchase some capacitors with higher voltage ratings and swap out the original ones just to be on the safe side.

It's not very difficult to do. Find some desoldering wick/braid and maybe have someone assist you. Get all the old solder off with the braid. As much as you are able anyway. Pull up the old capacitors a bit, then just cut them off. Then you can continue to work on cleaning out the holes to accept the 50V caps.

I don't see a thing wrong with that power supply other than its rating is very close to what the present capacitors are rated for. But there's always some leeway in the ratings on capacitors.

If you are not listening at rock concert levels all should be fine.

MW

Afterlife2,

It's going to be fine. Don't stress over it. I think you'll find that power supply will be alright.

Later on you might want to purchase some capacitors with higher voltage ratings and swap out the original ones just to be on the safe side.

It's not very difficult to do. Find some desoldering wick/braid and maybe have someone assist you. Get all the old solder off with the braid. As much as you are able anyway. Pull up the old capacitors a bit, then just cut them off. Then you can continue to work on cleaning out the holes to accept the 50V caps.

I don't see a thing wrong with that power supply other than its rating is very close to what the present capacitors are rated for. But there's always some leeway in the ratings on capacitors.

If you are not listening at rock concert levels all should be fine.

MW

Phew thanks Mark. It will be used on a PC setup. I want to compare it to my SMSL SA-S3(uses a 12v 5a adapter). Can't really go too loud in an apartment:yawn:, so It should be enough power. How many watts do you think I can get with TDA7498 with the new adapter 32v 5a?

Last edited:
No, the sanwu TDA7498 is a little bit bigger than the TDA7492P,I would recommend you to just use an old VHS Cassette Box.

His board has smd caps.

Afterlife2's board / the filter caps?

Jim Beam, You wrote:

His board has smd caps.

Now I'm confused. Refer to post #130 which I think is Afterlife2's purchase. Aren't all those silver 35V caps to each side of the heatsink filter caps? Those are the ones I was suggesting he upgrade if necessary (and, I think probably it is not necessary unless he's really driving it hard and has too large of a power supply).

Mark

Jim Beam, You wrote:

His board has smd caps.

Now I'm confused. Refer to post #130 which I think is Afterlife2's purchase. Aren't all those silver 35V caps to each side of the heatsink filter caps? Those are the ones I was suggesting he upgrade if necessary (and, I think probably it is not necessary unless he's really driving it hard and has too large of a power supply).

Mark

This is the one I have: TDA7498 100W 100W 2 Channel Stereo Digital Power Amplifier Board DC 15 34V P1VX | eBay

Hey i need help witch amplifier to buy. I want 2x20 watt att 8 ohm. I am kind of new to this and would apriciate some help.
Thanks in advace.

As Pano says, you'll need to run at 15v minimum. 19v is easy and cheap with a laptop PSU.

You can probably narrow your search to boards with the TPA3116/3118 or the TDA7492. Do you want a board with integrated volume control?

As they say in NYC -- fuggetaboutit!

Afterlife2,

Yeah, right! I don't think those filter capacitors are SMD capacitors (surface mounted devices).

As I said before, just don't stress over it. I think you'll like the 7498 sound a lot. Just get your power supply, plug it in, and enjoy!

Not to slight anyone here, but people on DIY boards sometimes do have a tendency to parse stuff out and measure things to death rather than just trying it.

I was on a speaker building thread once and it was 100's of pages long. Everybody was blathering on about measuring this spec, and second guessing that spec, and showing off their "knowledge" (perceived or real). And doing all sorts of fancy computer modeling. Finally, I got frustrated and asked
if anyone had actually built anything. Few responses. Then, I quit looking at it. :scratch:

I have a different board and am just running it bone stock, with zero modifications and a brick type power supply rated at 30vdc. You can spend many thousands of dollars and not get sound this good.

Have fun and enjoy your music! That's the main thing.

Mark

As Pano says, you'll need to run at 15v minimum. 19v is easy and cheap with a laptop PSU.

You can probably narrow your search to boards with the TPA3116/3118 or the TDA7492. Do you want a board with integrated volume control?

If possible i would lite to have one with bass and trebble control or i will go with separate controlboard. The sound quality is more imortant. 18v is no problem because i am thinking of making my own batterypack.

Afterlife2,

Yeah, right! I don't think those filter capacitors are SMD capacitors (surface mounted devices).

As I said before, just don't stress over it. I think you'll like the 7498 sound a lot. Just get your power supply, plug it in, and enjoy!

Not to slight anyone here, but people on DIY boards sometimes do have a tendency to parse stuff out and measure things to death rather than just trying it.

I was on a speaker building thread once and it was 100's of pages long. Everybody was blathering on about measuring this spec, and second guessing that spec, and showing off their "knowledge" (perceived or real). And doing all sorts of fancy computer modeling. Finally, I got frustrated and asked
if anyone had actually built anything. Few responses. Then, I quit looking at it. :scratch:

I have a different board and am just running it bone stock, with zero modifications and a brick type power supply rated at 30vdc. You can spend many thousands of dollars and not get sound this good.

Have fun and enjoy your music! That's the main thing.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Still waiting on the board, so I won't be able to test it out. I hope it gets here this week.

If possible i would lite to have one with bass and trebble control or i will go with separate controlboard. The sound quality is more imortant. 18v is no problem because i am thinking of making my own batterypack.

What about this one: 1pc TPA3116 Class D Amplifier Board Bluetooth 2 1 Amplifier Board 100W 2 50W | eBay

or

LM1036 HIFI Preamp Tone Board Bass Treble Volume Control Pre-amplifier Board Kit
and
TK2050 2X50W Two Channel Digital Amplifier Board HiFi Amplifier Board Super | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.