BL
8.0 T.M
Qms
Qts
Vas
275 Litres

Re: About ripole dimensions (continued)

Rudolf said:

The rule of thumb here is: If the drivers Xmax (peak-to-peak) is >10 mm, the opening area of the pipe should be not less than 1/3 Sd. If Xmax is less, the area might be reduced down to 1/4 Sd.

Is this for a N or W baffle? If it is for a N, then I am assuming that you would have to have a larger opening for a W baffle, is this correct?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
This may be dumb query so apologies in advance, but can a single driver be a Ri-pole??
I have plans in my head for a new OB project but the drives I have for the bass are very high Q and low power handling.
Aussies will be familiar with the Jaycar paper 12's.
Then when I was cleaning up the shed ( yes it happens occassionally ) I found an old pair of MTX roadthunder 15 inch car subs, I have mentioned these in a thread or two about incompetent repair shops.
These drivers were reconed and had really stiff foam surrounds instead of the soft original surrounds, the Fs has dropped to 18Hz, Qts is 0.56 X-max is only 6mm, what are the thoughts on putting this driver horizontally in a single driver Ripole and running the 4 X 12's in parallel before it.
The extra resistance in the circuit will raise "Q" final impedance should be a resonable nominal 6ohms and it should be able to then handle more than 50 watts in the bass.
This 15 inch can handle being mounted horizontally

Moondog55 said:
This may be dumb query so apologies in advance, but can a single driver be a Ri-pole?
Yes, of course. What you loose will be the impulse compensation of two drivers working push-push.

These drivers were reconed and had really stiff foam surrounds instead of the soft original surrounds, the Fs has dropped to 18Hz, Qts is 0.56 X-max is only 6mm, what are the thoughts on putting this driver horizontally in a single driver Ripole and running the 4 X 12's in parallel before it.
Horizontal N frame would be OK, but don´t try those narrow front and back openings. They will lower Fs even more and reduce efficiency too. The front opening for those drivers should at least be 1/2 Sd. If you need to raise Qts you should do it by raising Qe, not Qm!

BTW:
If you calculate 1/2 Sd for the front opening and 1/2 Sd for the back you could as well built a H frame in the same space.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I think I am having a little trouble with nomenclature, does an "N" frame Ri-pole have the baffles parallel or angled?? I think my mind picture of an "N" frame was confused with a half "W" and how much difference does it make to efficiencies?/
Can I please be pointed at a "Ri-pole 101"
Thanx
Ted

bith the N and the W do not have angles..
all the "sides" are parallel...
this is a W , top view..
The N only has one speaker

Attachments

• dipole linkwitz1-model.jpg
    dipole linkwitz1-model.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,013
chrisb03 said:
I have another question in regard to the cross over. According to http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/ripol_en.htm you still need a passive cross over even though the plate amp can handle the cross over.
Depending on the driver Qts or the system Q you may need low bass EQ. Whether you need a notch filter for the resonance peak depends on your planned X-over frequency and the height and frequency of that resonance peak. So - as ever - it depends ... ;)

Moondog55 said:
Then what do you call the configuration that actually looks like a capital "N" when tha N is laid flat with the angle towards listener
Call it whatever you want. There is no regulated nomenclature yet. I used to call my own configuration with 90° driver spacing "M" frames:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I guess you would model it as a "H" frame, with the average dimension front and back.
Some of those projects look amazing, having modelled it Ob the cheap Jaycar papers are way better in all respects except total SPL due to limited X-max, I may just have to rethink and go with sealed sub/ subs for lowest octave

Hi folks.

Have also look here:

https://www.bastanis.com/galerie_entry.php?gbId=48

( I have a pretty similar setup, running it for almost 3 years by now)

The challenge with these is that the horn-tweeter and fullrange runs at approx.
98db/SPL.

If the goal is (it was my goal) to achieve a similar sensitivity with the
ripoles you need 2*98db woofer per channel and you're still 6db
away from your upper range.

The delta I fixed with a slightly higher gain of the amps.

I am using BD15 woofer from BD-Design

I don't really like the low sensitivity concepts, the lack of dynamics makes it lifeless.

Cheers

soundcheck said:

Those drivers look like the Peerless 12" SLS. I bought a pair today. I am just trying to get the size of the W type baffle sorted out.

Seems I will be going for the following size:

Using 18mm MDF

Baffle size - 360x360mm
Front opening - 80mm
Back opening - 85mm (the magnets would stick out about the same as the above project)

Hi.

The dimensions I applied for my 15'' BD15s are:

All in mm:

W:355*H:455*D:455

Center opening is 80
Wood: 18

The whole cabinet is obviously not vibrating.
Putting them on spikes though delivered much more refined sound.

The tricky thing was to get both holes (driver and magnets) on the same center-axis.
At the same time the gap between magnet and wood I didn't want to have greater then 2mm. This way I could use 2 layer of sealing tape to get it properly sealed.

As you can see the speaker-size for 2 * 15inch drivers is ridiculous small.
I'd always recommend to go for 15inch drivers.

Good luck.

Hi,

to maybe clear things up a bit.
A Ripole is a small folded baffle dipole that is named as a reminiscense after one of its inventors Axel Ridtahler.
The originally symmetrically designed dipole (W-style) was named BMC.
The patent was granted in 2000 under the number DE 198 30 947 C2.
At a later time one of Axels´s business partners suggested to test a asymmetrical small folded baffle dipole, the here so called N-style (though it rather looks like an S-style to me). This concept was named DRS and prooved to function equally well as the BMC and so it was decided to apply for a second patent, which was granted in 2003 under the number DE 102 30 669 A1. Both patents decribe the use of passive (preferred) or active filtering and equalizing.

jauu
Calvin