Drivers / parameters for ripole subs

Kilomax nod...

I was talking to Rudolf about the positive sims on the Kilomax Pro 18 A driver by Eminence. He knows of two diffeerent builders who have used this driver one with zero baffle. Both have had no problems with back side driver noise. So I think that we can place the Kilomax on the positive list of big bad dipole drivers. Simulations show Kilomax (pair) output limit of 107.9 db @ 20 Hz., 115 @30 Hz. and 120db @ 40 Hz.
The Eminence Delta 15 LFA also looked excellent on simulations but still no confirmation of low noise yet. These drivers would be well worth a try in either a Ripole or "W" frame dipole if anybody has a pair. A pair are capable of high levels of bass output at 20 Hz. (98.4 db), 106.5db@ 30 Hz. and 111.5 db@ 40 Hz.. This is very respectable for such an inexpensive driver in such a small package.

Hi,

To me it looks like this guy

http://www.rcf.it/VediMacro.phtml/IDMacro/1627/L15P530/

could be a possible candidate for ripole experiments:

with the following TPS:

Resonance frequency, Fs 45 Hz
DC resistance Re 5.1 Ohm
Mechanical factor Qms 7.5
Electrical factor Qes 0.51
Total factor Qts 0.48
BL factor BL 15.3 T - m
Effective Moving Mass Mms 83 gr
Equivalent Cas air load Vas 160 liters
Effective piston area Sd 0.085 m2
Max. linear excursion (mathematical) Xmax 6.5 mm
Voice - coil inductance @ 1kHz Le1k 1.45 mH
Half-space efficiency Eff 2.76 %
driver, with

What's your opinion, all more experienced builders?

Closed spider might be a problem, yes.
OTOH I somehow got an impression that those problems were mostly connected only to cheapest drivers.
You wont know unless you try....

Wouldn't anyway consider tracheostomy wiht my pair of them :D
( Yes, I have a pair of them in my current active OB, so I am thinkin mostly N-frame )

Not to be asumed...

as mentioned previously a driver with a sealed spider does not necessarilly it will have a lot of spider noise. The Eminence Kilomax Pro 18A is an example. I would imagine that xmax would certainly come into play with respect to this. That said I think that a hands on physical test is what is required to determine if driver noise will be a design issue.

I have a dumb question...how can I differentiate between a sealed spider and an open spider woofer? I searched for peerless sls pictures on the net, but did not found detailed pictures from the motor part (where I imagine the difference is). I also looked at the official ripole driver: it has got an open hole through the magnets (I mean, all magnets do have holes, but in this speaker they seem not to be filled up with whatever stuff) but I doubt this is the only issue to make a speaker 'vented'.

Many thanks for your time

Erik

Re: My mistake...

moray james said:
the driver I was thinking of is a 15 inch car woofer not the SLS series but similar and is the model # 822009

And not available this side of the Atlantic, I gather.

It seems a moot point anyway, as the SLS 12" would have a plenty low Fc in a ripole. Not to mention a 15" would require a very low XO frequency.

Here is a Carver sub that is mounted free air. Specs are
12"
qms 4.03
qes 4.03
qts 2.0
xmas 3.5
fs 24hz
IF there is someone that would like to try it in there Ripole cabinet I have three i would trade one for correct plans to build this small enclosure Or all for a built unit.:D

Here is a DVC 12" subwoofer that has some specifications that should work for this application.

I have been using this driver in a down firing sealed 2.5 cu ft cabinet for over 12 years without a problem. They play in the lower 30 Hz range -3db without any boost in my cabinets.

Gold Sound 1240 DVC 12" with Polypropylene cone and 4 ohm coils at $98 each, the last time I checked.

FYI

http://www.goldsound.net/component-thiele.htm

The Selenium 15PW3-SLF 15" looks like a good candidate for the Ripoles.

Specifications:
Frequency response: 40-4,000 Hz
Fs: 37 Hz
SPL: 98 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 9.67 cu. ft.
Qts: .61
Xmax: 3.0mm

Reasonable price as well...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-338&scqty=4

Anyone have experience with the Selenium drivers? What did you think of the build quality and sound?

Re: My mistake...

moray james said:
the driver I was thinking of is a 15 inch car woofer not the SLS series but similar and is the model # 822009

Hello,
New here...

so....
made some OB, horns and stuff...
and very small tube amps..
did anybody ever build 12" ripoles?
i need a little extra sub from 150Hz down and i like the design..

http://timeandtubes.blogspot.com/

Hi

I am going to build a ripole with a 12inch peerless SLS. My questions are:

1. What other driver can I buy locally in Australia that will outperform the SLS.
2. Will quality of driver have a major effect on overall sound qaulity or is it more about getting the enclosure/XO correct for the selected driver.
3. Has anyone implemented a ripole with the 12" SLS. If so, are you happy with it and if so would you post your dimensions etc

Thanks
Chris