Does any one else roast coffee?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No doubt there's many variables going into the magics of coffee brewing, on a general note pure water without any trace elements such as battery water for lead acid batteries is slightly acidic, it's the trace elements that makes water taste "softer".
I use to boil water before drinking it and have noticed the limescale build-up in the pan actually softens the water so I never clean that of, just gently brush of the excesses so there's always a thin layer neutralizing the water.
Takes time to hone ones skills... :)

It's all in the details.

Have been considering getting a Coffee tree to have indoors, but not certain on where to put it. Lighting needs to be improved as well. Probably need a rather big pot. How much coffee can you get from a max 1,5m tree?

I planted a Mango seed that sprouted earlier this year, not a concern yet but will need to trim it in a few years maybe, we also brought two different types of Sugar Cane from Bali that seem to thrive in the living room.

I used to roast my own coffee, had quite a setup with a thermocouple in the beans and a arduino running a pid program to control temps.

But got lazy, haven't roasted in a long time now. I've been buying from redbird coffee. I buy a 5 pound bag, usually get it a 3-4 days after its been roasted. I then vacuum pack about 1/2 lb bags each, and freeze until I'm ready to use. Keeps it pretty fresh this way.

I have only been buying coffee that has a roasted on date, not an expiration date.
For espresso, beans over two weeks old are stale, for drip maybe a month then its stale.

Randy

I've been using elements of both methods for quite awhile now. I've found that some heat improves the flavor a lot (I've also settled in at around 150° F), but I also prefer the simplicity of the dump-it-&-forget-it-approach. I combine hot tap water with near-boiling water from the microwave to get the initial temp, but it still sits on the counter overnight - I'm OK with that. I just try to remember to start a new batch before I run out.

It's all in the details.

Have been considering getting a Coffee tree to have indoors...

Hola coffee aficionados, now that's something!

I guess it would take some serious measures to recreate the climate where the coffee bushes are naturally growing, I read somewhere that the more fungus in the environment the stronger the caffeine content in the beans which is the plants own natural fungicide (pesticide).

Considering the scary path the food industry has already taken and the type of franken-pesticides used in combination with gmo, thinking here in particular of Glypho-shite and it's derivatives... If I had the means I would grow as much veggies as possible on my own, and in REAL soil , not the Hydroponics craze which has caught the food industry on a broad scale which IMO is madness. Veggies grown with the hydroponics technique produces the most washed out bland tasteless produce there is and is a sign the plant is growing in a way too STERILE environment meaning it lacks all those healthy potent substances inevitably important for our health, more soft-kill junk for the sheeples yeah we love it! :p.

Anyhow, just earlier this evening I mixed a jar with coffee ground and cold water and threw it into the fridge, to morrow is time for the litmus test, will it please my taste buds? :)

Enjoy the Cold Brew.

You'll figure out how to Americano-ize it.

Haven't roasted in a couple of years - My Bride has quite a few guests who bring her coffee beans from their fave locals.

Regardless, was doing so with Sweet Maria's & if good season across region, via Smokin' Beans.

You can guess which had best Yirgacheffe & swath of Indonesians. But we enjoyed the SJ's Antigua. Even re-upped. Air-popped, mostly.

If so inclined and equipped, upend a barbecue chimney (fire starter), top with wire basket/bowl/sieve of your liking & stir with wooden spoon.

Done outside over embers of your choice, it's quite satisfying and certainly closer to roots of roasting.

Plus, chaff? What chaff?

...Anyhow, just earlier this evening I mixed a jar with coffee ground and cold water and threw it into the fridge, to morrow is time for the litmus test, will it please my taste buds? :)

You'll have to answer that one yourself. Just don't forget to filter it first. Might be a bit chunky right out of the jar. :)

Seriously though, it's quite a different flavor. To me, the reduced acidity allows the other coffee flavors to emerge, which I enjoy quite a bit (as does my stomach). But not everyone likes this, you'll have to judge for yourself.

If you don't care for it at first, you might try a bit of experimentation, say with warmer water, or steeping at room temperature instead of in the fridge, etc. I know it took me awhile to get mine to where I really like it.

Last edited:
I had always figured that the Kona and Blue Mountain coffee was the equivalent of modern Bose equipment, since every time I’ve had it, it was dull and stale.
Guess I need to take a trip to the source if I want to have the proper version.

I never would have guessed that there were so many coffee maniacs here, how cool.
I always had an espresso machine around, from high school to present. Had to sell the big Faema I had on my shop though.

Now I’m wanting to build a roaster, like I need another hobby...

Oh, and thanks for the sun vs shade explanation, makes sense now...

Drive by insult?

Not in any way, shape or form. Thank you. After all, it is up to us to make sure our Membership is treated with respect.

So much so, that "You'll figure out how to Americano-Ize it" - is exactly what I told my Mother when giving her the breakdown on Cold Brews, as watering down the concentrate is to each person's taste. She'd not been able to enjoy any coffee for a bit, due to acidity, etc..

Thanks again!

You'll need a mule and a big burlap sack:

YouTube

... I have one of those fatbikes, a blue Surly Ice Cream Truck, can I use that?
Might have some small course fiber pouches somewhere, probably enough.

The missus might give me a hard time If I stamp around in the living room with a fatbike and boots early in the morning though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.