Does any one else roast coffee?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's the one, they ship green beans to the US but at $40 a lb. Ever tried them?

No, not in the US. I've brought home a lot of roasted beans though. Furthermore, every roasted "Blue Mountain Coffee" I've seen in the US is a blend. Blue Mountain Coffee does not need to be blended with any other coffee except to make it cheaper to buy.

By the way, the Japanese buy almost all of it. They have futures contracts well into the future, with much more favorable prices than what the rest of us pay. Japanese love their Blue Mountain Coffee.

By the way, the Japanese buy almost all of it. They have futures contracts well into the future, with much more favorable prices than what the rest of us pay. Japanese love their Blue Mountain Coffee.

Yes, been there some places it's >$25 a cup. In 1977 a friend brought me a pound from Japan as a gift, it was packaged in an ordinary non-airtight bag and it must have been on the shelf for years. It tasted like dust.

Kahvi

Here in Finland we do consume a lot of coffee, and if some researches are to be believed the Finns are the number one consumer per capita in the world following closely by the rest of the Nordic countries, but I have to say the coffee culture over here is quite weak as very light roast is the preferred main stream stuff people are gulping.
Light roast are usually higher in acidity and not good for the stomach, as an avid green tea lover I can say that holds for black tea too. :)

BTW, I never tried freshly roasted brew I have to say, but use to go to a meticulous length getting the best out of a brew and it use to look like..:
* the newly bought vacuum packed coffee grind goes directly into the freezer, preferably before it's even opened
* the coffee filter is rinsed with boiling water in it's place in the coffee cone and let drying before brewing (this use to be the end process from the previous brew)
* manual brewing (for first pour up, pour hot water until it covers all the coffee grind and let it draw and react for a while, after that little break proceed pouring the rest of the water)
* after the brewing, rinse the cone in boiling hot water to get rid of any essential oil residues from the coffee brew

The single biggest spoiler all time is when the vacuum package is opened and stored in ambient temperature, or even fooling one self using an "air tight" can, unfortunately that wont help one iota, the trapped air inside will inevitably oxidize the coffee grind and IMHO it tastes noticeably worse already after a couple of days storing.
Keeping the coffee in the freeze makes a big difference, one can easily store an opened coffee package in the freeze for one month and still enjoy a fresh taste.
The second biggest spoiler is omitting cleansing away the build up of essential oil residues on the filter cone and other parts, which by time gets oxidized and leaves of a sour, stale taste to the brew.
Third would perhaps be the paper cone filter, it has its own taste and who knows perhaps some less healthy chemical residues.

This dear gentlemen will provide for a dynamite coffee experience, have a great coffee weekend, regards Le Grande Café Connoisseur. :Pirate:

Last edited:
I have not tried roasting my own yet, but been thinking about it for some time, maybe it will happen this year.
My personal preference is for medium roast, darker roasts are for other people.

But I have a very strict coffee making regime:
1. I ground the beans as finely as possible, must be as dust like as can be, 80 grams for 1 litre of water, 120grams for 1.5litres.
2. The water must run from the tap until properly cool before filling the pot.
3. The pot with the water has a glass lid on it, the water must under not boil! I stand and watch the water until just before boiling, the heat source is stopped immediately and the finely ground coffee is added. If the water boils I will throw it away and start over. The heat setting on the stove does not seem to matter at all, heat the water quickly is possible.
4. Stir the coffee in the pot until foaming has ceased, and keep stirring until the foam has gone. Now the sediments will also fall quicker to the bottom of the pot.
5. Using a metal sieve, pour the coffee into its dedicated container.

Note: Under no circumstances what so ever, leave the heat on the pot after adding the ground coffee, it will not taste anywhere near as good. My wife does this repeatedly, and I have just come to accept that there is no hope for her.

Edit:
For those who have not yet figured it out, my nick translates to CoffeeMan, I do not drink very much coffee, but I do drink very good coffee, at most 2 cups/day. Life is too short for mass produced food and beverages.

Last edited:
3. The pot with the water has a glass lid on it, the water must under not boil! I stand and watch the water until just before boiling, the heat source is stopped immediately and the finely ground coffee is added.
"It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee." Link.

If the water boils I will throw it away and start over.
No need to throw it away. Just let it cool for a few seconds till it reaches the desired temperature. I use thermometer.

4. Stir the coffee in the pot until foaming has ceased, and keep stirring until the foam has gone.
I find stirring too much makes the coffee bitter from over extraction.

Attachments

• WAC-banner16.jpg
    WAC-banner16.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 135
Yeah, my experience with an aeropress has been in the back of a camper van. Experientially, can't be beat! And I already have a Hario Skerton for my daily driver.

Bill-- are you using the paper filters or one of the mesh screens? I'd also imagine it works a bit better with lighter roasts than the medium-to-medium-dark roasts that the more pressurized systems tend to like.

Hi again DPH,

I use a Hario Skerton with the Aeropress when traveling so you are half-way there.

I use an Able Metal Disk. Lots of Aeropress champions use the paper filters though, so it is a personal preference thing.

Yeah, the Aeropress works better for me with non-dark roasts. I do like light and medium roasts as espresso, as well as dark roasts.

Evenharmonics:
I prefer 80-85 degrees celcius. Yes, there is a difference if the water has boiled, if you get over 87 degrees you are at the point of no return. It's almost like you "kill" the flavor, it gains some depth from lower temp brewing. I can understand the bitterness if you put the coffee in too hot water and use coarse grinding, the foam in my coffee is not bitter. It also does not work on anything above medium roast.

DPH:
That is the entire brewing process, the sediments rest on the bottom of the pot, some remainders get caught in the metal sieve when pouring gently, if you cease stirring after the foam has turned white the foam will not be bitter, but you have to wait longer to wait for the sediments to settle. If you only stir until the coffee has mixed with the water you can go do something else for a while, but the end result is nearly identical with constant stirring and running it through the sieve, slight advantage to constant stirring, more complete flavor.

If there are some small sediments in the bottom of my mug, that's fine. It is for the sake of a better coffee. Coarse grinding can also give a more bitter foam, dust grade grinding gives very smooth complete flavor. No chunky bits.

Edit:
My wife makes bitter coffee, she boils the water and sets the stove to the lowest setting (MUST BE TURNED OFF!) after adding the coffee, tastes dead, bitter and burned.
She also lacks the patience to finely dust grind the coffee.

I have tried fancy equipment, it is not needed. If you must use a filter, make it a stainless steel one, paper filters capture some of the few oils and it just does not taste the same.

Edit2:
Oh, and it must be a really clean stainless steel pot, not plastic coated aluminium please! Cast iron has pores that store fats, great for the stew, horrible in the coffee.
It really does make a difference.

Last edited:
:)

Do note the thing about stainless steel (it's the only material that can touch my coffee besides the enamel coating on my ceramic mug!).
Sorry about being an edit maniac :)

Edit:
As far as I know, there are only two exact sciences that must be followed to the letter in this world, on everything else there is leeway.
Those two are Homemade Butterdough pastries, and Coffee. Baking comes close to being an exact science, but there is some leeway in that when you get more advanced.

Last edited:
Inspired by KaffiMann's pot coffee I tried earlier this evening but with fatal result, I admit I was just shooting from the hip to see how the brew would come out but didn't expect the same coffee grind I usually use to be so bland completely lack of the full bodiness and richness of flavors, I tried to go rather cooler than hotter, but perhaps it was too cool to extract the essentials and other wonderful aromas hiding in those tiny grains. :(
Maybe ought to buy a temp meter?

Boiling water removes dissolved gasses including oxygen.

This may be why you taste a difference. Once the water boils, the CO2 and O2 are gone.

The water when cooled will taste flat or bitter.

Holy moose... If I ever knew that, I'd forgotten that.

The first thing I do with my "cold-brewed" coffee is cheat. :) I discovered early on that steeping in hot tap water on the counter top overnight, then refrigerating (after filtering), produces a much better-tasting result than the more common method of steeping in cold water in the fridge. In particular, it removed the weird aftertaste I was always getting with cold water.

More recently I decided to kick it up a notch by heating roughly half the water to a boil in the microwave (using a Pyrex batter bowl), then mixing it with hot tap water to produce initial steeping temps in the 155-160° range - significantly hotter than hot tap water alone. This seems to yield an even more consistent, complex flavor.

I've always just let the nuked water come to a rolling boil, not watching it closely, since I knew it wouldn't be in direct contact with the coffee at that temp (I pour it into the tap water first, then add the coffee). But now there's the question of how the boiled water is affecting the flavor, even after it's "diluted."

I'll be making another batch over the weekend (I do about 2 1/2 gallons per batch). Guess I'll have to watch the microwave this time, see if I can taste any difference.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. As always, I welcome any opportunity to further complicate the process. :D

- Jim

Last edited:
Just stumbled over it by accident, there was a lady that insisted the tea did not taste as good if the water got too hot, she was quite strict about the temperature, I just tried it with coffee instead, have not turned back yet.

If you want a more "espresso" type strength to mix with milk, just halve the amount of water.

It does take some practice to get right. Do remember that the boiling temperature of water variates with air pressure/altitude.

Jim the Oldbie:
Arent you talking about removing chlorine and the other stuff they add to the tap water ?
It happens by itself, if you just leave some water on the counter overnight with just a piece of cloth for protection. Hot water helps, and acids also remove the chlorine faster, but that's not good for brewing though.
I have not yet tried any filter that is completely neutral in taste though, except active coal filters but those taste boring, a good sand filter can have very nice taste.

Last edited:
I used to use a Brita filter when I lived in San Diego (hard water, tastes bad) that was permanently out on the counter. Which is to say, I was drinking charcoal-purified, water with an overnight degas. I never A-B tested straight from the tap vs. Brita and moving up to Portland (where the water is great straight from the tap) precludes any sort of comparison. I still measure out my water the night before, but that's to offload any sort of thinking I need to do in the morning pre-coffee. :)

In general, it's a matter of experimentation, much in the same way as roasting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.