Does any one else roast coffee?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also like a bit more body, so I've calibrated myself off the samplers available and the cupping scores to tell which beans I'm liable to like. Things that take a bit more of a roast (right around that FC+ is where body seems to peak, while not getting ashy) tend to work well. I'm sure you get some great beans from the lower cost places, but if you're going through them fast enough, trying a bunch of samplers and buying 20lb bags tends to lower your costs substantially too.

And apologies on phrasing about aluminum vs. stainless, I read your initial question as "Stainless is a must" instead of "Is stainless a must?" Seems you understood anyhow.

Welcome to roasting!

Last edited:
Another small batch just came off the stove.

Attachments

• DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 93
FC+ is full city? Yes we do like it dark. We've been French Roast drinkers for 30yrs. Trying to branch out. Should I not be trying to get a dark roast from the beans I've been using? This was close to 30 second into the second crack.
These are the beans;Guatemala Acatenango Gesha Lot 2

The price on these went up quite a bit since we bought them. They have been my practice beans. Haven't used the bi $$ ones yet.Guatemala Pico Mayor Gesha

Do those of you who roast find it to be more cost effective than buying locally roasted coffee from a specialty coffee shop/roaster?

I am intrigued by the prospect of roasting my own since our local roaster's coffee is rather expensive and "spoils" quickly. It is fantastic a day or two after purchasing a fresh roast (no more than two days old), but becomes "stale" to my taste after that.

I've been buying from redbirdcoffee
If you buy a 5 pound bag, prices are reasonable.
As soon as I get it, I divide into maybe 1/2 pound bags, vacuum pack and freeze. Then I just take the bags out of the freezer as I need them. Stays fairly fresh this way.
Didn't seem like I could save that much by roasting, but maybe I was buying expensive beans?

BTW, when I used to roast, I would pull right at 2nd crack. But I was going for more of a med roast normally. Also depends on the beans.

Also surprised your coffee is going stale so quickly needtubes. Since its a local roaster, I would expect you know the roast date of the beans? Do you store them in an airtight container? And only grind the beans right before you use them? Coffee goes stale very quickly after grinding. Its oxidation, and a lot more surface area to oxidize.

Randy

FC+ is full city? Yes we do like it dark. We've been French Roast drinkers for 30yrs. Trying to branch out. Should I not be trying to get a dark roast from the beans I've been using? This was close to 30 second into the second crack.
These are the beans;Guatemala Acatenango Gesha Lot 2

The price on these went up quite a bit since we bought them. They have been my practice beans. Haven't used the bi $$ ones yet.Guatemala Pico Mayor Gesha

Full city is just before the second crack and full city+ is just a couple "pops" into the second crack when you pull it. Obviously you'll get a few more as the beans cool. That's as far as I take a roast before you start losing flavor, IMO.

For those beans, yeah, I'd be roasting a bit lighter. Look more at some of Sweet Maria's espresso blends if you like a darker roast.

Do those of you who roast find it to be more cost effective than buying locally roasted coffee from a specialty coffee shop/roaster?

I am intrigued by the prospect of roasting my own since our local roaster's coffee is rather expensive and "spoils" quickly. It is fantastic a day or two after purchasing a fresh roast (no more than two days old), but becomes "stale" to my taste after that.

Generally you add about $1/lb in shipping cost and 15% due to water loss during roasting, e.g. $5/lb coffee = 5*1.15+1 = $6.75. Not sure what you're buying but even the 6.50'ish blends for me compare favorably to the > $10 stuff roasted locally. Plus I can much better guarantee freshness. Detraction is of course the work and lag time between roasting and when it hits peak (needs a little rest).

I don't really do it for the cost effectiveness, though. And when you start looking at the 10 lb lots, the prices go down handsomely.

Also surprised your coffee is going stale so quickly needtubes. Since its a local roaster, I would expect you know the roast date of the beans? Do you store them in an airtight container? And only grind the beans right before you use them? Coffee goes stale very quickly after grinding. Its oxidation, and a lot more surface area to oxidize.

It surprises me as well. Maybe since the coffee is so fresh, the first change toward staleness is more obvious? And, yes, I store the coffee properly and grind fresh each day seconds before I brew.

This could be a fun new hobby to get into...

Generally you add about $1/lb in shipping cost and 15% due to water loss during roasting, e.g. $5/lb coffee = 5*1.15+1 = $6.75. Not sure what you're buying but even the 6.50'ish blends for me compare favorably to the > $10 stuff roasted locally. Plus I can much better guarantee freshness. Detraction is of course the work and lag time between roasting and when it hits peak (needs a little rest).

I don't really do it for the cost effectiveness, though. And when you start looking at the 10 lb lots, the prices go down handsomely.

Sounds like I could probably save some money by roasting my own. Our local roaster charges $18 for a 12 ounce bag. Yes, it is very fresh (two days old or less sometimes), but quite expensive...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.