Do you know what I hate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do people in Maryland drive to the end of the freeway ramp then STOP??

That I really hate.

In Texas, a turn signal is interpreted as a challenge
to speed up, occupy my blind spot, then attempt to
force your way past me on that side....

Especially if that side blocks access to a needed exit.
Or a lane ends, and the only alternative to collision
would be a screeching halt in mid-traffic.

Not unusual that a train of aggressive non-yielders
would be following each other to an unknown party
location in tight bumper lock.

---

This is why we simply take the lane, then signal as
an afterthought. As signalling your intentions safely
in advance and following through would amount to
"cutting someone off", invitation to a crowbar fight...

Last edited:
I hate it when radio stations change their music type (to ****), and then when I try to delete the station from the short list of programmed quick launch buttons, not only does it not delete it, but it makes a second copy of it... So I re-read the instructions VERY carefully and tried again. Now I've got that **** station programmed in three times... thankyou Yamaha...

Oh, and when I switch between various surround sound processing on my Yamaha receiver, and the levels and EQ change so much that comparison is impossible... I really miss the old days when preamps were real simple and intuitive to use. I really like knobs, and hate buttons and endless menus, which apparently need to be re-set up for each change of anything else... Engineers who apparently never actually used the product they engineered in the real world... Oh, and instruction manuals written by interpreters, who are only marginally educated about the product...

Geez I could go on all day. A simpler life looks better all the time. Unfortunately I am addicted to complicated audio projects, and there seems to be no end to this.

One thing I love is receiving part orders. It feels like Christmas morning (unless it's from Amazon and the shipping box is falling apart with my $500 video camera in it).

It's been said that without all the bad, we wouldn't know how to appreciate the good. Also that mistakes are often the most valuable educational opportunities. Somebody once asked Edison if he was embarrassed that he had tried 2000 different filaments for the light bulb, and none of them worked. He replied, "not at all, I am 2000 steps closer to the right one."

In Texas, a turn signal is interpreted as a challenge
to speed up, occupy my blind spot, then attempt to
force your way past me on that side....

Which is why, when you want to get over, you simply accelerate to 88 mph well in advance. If he doesn't race you, there's plenty of time/room to get over. If he does, he opens up a HUGE hole behind him that you can safely decelerate to occupy.

In south Florida turn signals mean.......nothing at all. I see the same Corolla nearly every day that has had the left signal on for two weeks.

We also seem to have a few streets that are occupied by people looking to make money. I have to go out of my way to avoid them. If you are driving an expensive car (that leaves me out) you must watch out for several islanders that will speed past you in a Corolla or Camry cut in front of you and slam on the brakes, then dial 411-pain (an ambulance chasing lawyer clinic).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
South Florida is a strange place to drive. So many people from so many corners of the globe, all driving by the wildly diverse rules and customs of "back home".
Must admit tho, Florida has excellent road signage, South Florida especially. Floridians will deny this, but it's true, I assure you.

wow that would suck, here in Ohio, when the weather is bad, everyone drives faster, it boggles my mind until I see them 40 feet off the highway buried in a snowbank talking on their cell phone.
They seem to be doing that during dry conditions now.

I lived in Cincinnati and it seems that once or twice a year the snow would start to fall at 2PM. By 4 you can see the traffic had come to a crawl on every road. The radio announcers would tell everyone it had snowed an inch and another inch was expected by the end of the snowfall. I lived 20 miles from work and it would take 4 hours to get home.

I noticed the snow plows had two spacers at each end of the plow set to about 2 inches. I assumed these were set to that distance to prevent the plow from actually scraping the road.

Back in 2005 my truck was in the shop and I had no choice to drive my 2002 Vette to and from work. The car had traction control and a 6 speed manual. In order to get traction I had to disable the.traction control and drive...but every time I engaged the clutch the traction control would turn back on...so if I disengaged the clutch and the rear wheels slipped on the snow no power would applied to either tires. That's what I hate.

I lived in Maine for two years. We typically got 6 to 12 inches of snow per snowfall. At least people there knew how to drive in snow. Traffic slowed but it only took another 10 minutes or so to get home from work.

Wait till you meet Poles, Bulgarians, Hungarians, and Romanians.
Europe has become such a fun place to drive, after the expansion of the EU membership (one more reason to get the H out of here)
Not to mention Slovaks and Czechs. Traffic laws, and particularly the level of enforcement, are common complaints.

They learn as quick as anybody else, IME, and are generally very keen to do so. The confusion should die down eventually.

AFAIK it's our agricultural corporations that have thrown many off the land, causing mass unemployment especially of Roma. I hate that, and so do they.

This is the issue in MD, a lot of people have cars tires with "highway tread". Also no car inspections, only when buying selling, so plenty of slicks out there.
I don't know a lot about the sports cars, although they don't seem to well in the snow.
I'm a PU guy now, but drove several chevy vans, which were great with snow tires.

I lived in Cincinnati and it seems that once or twice a year the snow would start to fall at 2PM. By 4 you can see the traffic had come to a crawl on every road. The radio announcers would tell everyone it had snowed an inch and another inch was expected by the end of the snowfall. I lived 20 miles from work and it would take 4 hours to get home.

I noticed the snow plows had two spacers at each end of the plow set to about 2 inches. I assumed these were set to that distance to prevent the plow from actually scraping the road.

Back in 2005 my truck was in the shop and I had no choice to drive my 2002 Vette to and from work. The car had traction control and a 6 speed manual. In order to get traction I had to disable the.traction control and drive...but every time I engaged the clutch the traction control would turn back on...so if I disengaged the clutch and the rear wheels slipped on the snow no power would applied to either tires. That's what I hate.

I lived in Maine for two years. We typically got 6 to 12 inches of snow per snowfall. At least people there knew how to drive in snow. Traffic slowed but it only took another 10 minutes or so to get home from work.

Florida has excellent road signage, South Florida especially.

Except a significant percentage of the population can not or will not read them. I had a woman pull out in front of me and when I managed to stop 3 inches from her door, get out and start screaming at me for running the stop sign. In ALL places I have been a stop sign is red and has EIGHT sides. That is also a question on the drivers license test. I had "run" a 5 sided yellow school zone caution sign.

So many people from so many corners of the globe, all driving by the wildly diverse rules and customs of "back home".

It seems to be perfectly acceptable in many island cultures to come to a complete stop in the center lane of a 6 lane road during morning rush hour to pick up a friend who was sitting on the bus bench, even though there was a bus lane on the right side of the road in front of the bench. It also seems that they expect all traffic to stop so that said friend could walk calmly to the car stopped in the middle of the road. Road rage is common here, and people have been shot for less.

I take a long way home to avoid most of those roads. It isn't worth the elevated blood pressure to get home a few minutes quicker.

I take a long way home to avoid most of those roads. It isn't worth the elevated blood pressure to get home a few minutes quicker.

An hour by bicycle, 40 minutes or more by car. My blood pressure goes down while everyone else's is going up.....

Well, it is a racing bike not an 80 pound Walmart special. But just try driving a race car in traffic and see now far you get.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.