diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

On a construction note how are people connecting the snubber circuit on the transformer secondaries? Trying to think of the cleanest way of doing this...

I have not on my builds as I find it superfluous for the most part (it's kind of the icing on the cake so to speak). I am sure there are some technical advantages verified by an oscilloscope but I don't know of any sonic comparisons that would warrant them (Yes, I am ignorant on the subject!). I would like to know other people's opinions.

You can always try yourself and report back.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
... how are people connecting the snubber circuit on the transformer secondaries? ...

I just stuffed and soldered straight into the component footprints that were provided on the board, as-shipped from the store. Schematic annotated in pink. (Component values came from Quasimodo testing)

The application was a chipamp, built in a Modushop Dissipante 2U chassis that I also got from the Store. Photo below.

_

Attachments

• left_half.png
    left_half.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 354
  • right_half.png
    right_half.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Amp_chassis.jpg
    Amp_chassis.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 347
Thanks all, I am not using the diode section of the UPS V.3 board. I have a bolt down GBPC3502 rectifier.

I think I will use the diode section of the UPS PCB now! That will keep the snubber circuit neat.

Diodes....
What are the "best" top of the line T220 diodes I can use on the PCB?
Circuit is a F6 btw

I have a pass f6 with the universal power supply that I ran for years straight off my phone. I bought a NAD streamer dac preamp and hooked it to the F6 and quickly started smoking the resisters in the power supply. After several experiments I have concluded it is a problem to earth ground. Any ideas what it might be

This amp will play music fine when only attached to my phone. It also played fine with the Doug self preamp using only a 2 prong plug and no earth ground ( luckily no one hurt) or grounding wires at all. I recently built a SP14 preamp and had the same smoke result with the F6 but the pre plays well with my other amps. This has led me to believe there is some type of leakage or oscillation in the power supply. I have drawn smoke from the resistors several times while testing quickly and once let it happen longer in hopes of searching causing the amp to itself to smoke and partially loosen one trace. Oddly the amp plays fine attached only to my phone. One tough design