diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Trouble shooting guidance

Hi folks I have read the complete thread here at DYI, a ton of experience and information. Very thankful for all your experience. I have built a few amps in my time, however I am no way any shape an expert at electronics, its a great hobby for me.

I am having issues with the Build I have the new boards 2.4 from the Dyi store bought all the parts from Mouser or DigiKey. I have double check triple checked the placement of the parts, but to no avail I have something messed up and I cant figure what it is.

When I power it up with a bulb tester, the bulb does not glow, the two leds light up. And my voltage on the 10 ohm instead of fuses goes up past 1 volt quickly, the Tp1 and Tp2 millivolts low to zero or negative.

DC offset reading from the Speaker output to ground voltage goes up as I increase the voltage from the variac, and the bulb will light as I increase the variac, but goes out as the caps charge and no adjustment will change it. When and I can start to smell a burning so I turned it off quickly.

I used all the parts from the BOM listed on the Dyi audio store site. The BOM is confusing due to the age of it in relation to the newest Sch dated 12/22/2016, some of the resistors are different there.

PSU is Dyi Audio board 3 with Antek 10445 dual transformer, NTE35 amp rectifiers Dual, All caps are from DigiKey 80v 10,000uf. The PSU checks out fine with the rails being 63v 0v -63v.

I must have a transistor installed incorrect, I have check all these and double check the components. I built both boards at the same time installing the components per location on each board after verifying the part. Both boards do the same thing. The leads me to believe I must have the same misplacement but I can't seam to find it no mater how many times I check it. I did have to use MPSA18 instead of SS-9014 I saw some folks with issues there.

Since this post I have found R25 to be burned and the voltage on speaker outputs has climbed to over 20 volts and I can not adjust it with r17. Even after replacing r25?

Any suggestions on where and what to look at would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

I had posted this on the other thread thought might be better served here!

diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Trouble shooting Badger build.

First check all the leads on the output transistors to ground for continuity. You should have none. If so you have a short to ground. Pictures might help as well. Do you know what component smokes? That is a good clue as well.

Thank you for the reply, I indeed checked all the output transistors for ground continuity, None detected , I double checked all joints all look well. Check all components all in the correct position and place, all values are correct.

R25 burned I replaced it and it burned again, I have checked the output to ground and I have DC voltage that climbs as I increase the voltage, at the same rate as the input voltage as I increase the variac through the bulb tester.

I am wondering about the decoupling caps and I double checked and there all in correctly, and are from mouser.

I replaced Q1 and Q2 just to check to see if I had a poor match MPSA18, no change DC offset voltage Climb, pulled the 15W zener and replaced it with a resistor to see if I had that was incorrect no change to DC offset still climbs with DC voltage.

I pulled it from the heat sinks double checked all transistors again all look correct. I am going to pull the caps and replace them to see if I have a bad batch because both boards are doing exactly the same-thing.

I check the PSU and it is right on 63v 0 -63v. I cannot find a short any where on the board. Do I have the Grd connected to the correct point from the PSU to the Board: it is to the star ground on the board no place other than this.

see the attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Reply trouble shooting

Thank you for the reply, Yep did that even used a different power supply with the same result .

On the input v+ I have 63v. V- I have -63 ground I have zero. I used the Nelson pass push 2 rectifying bridges

To verify the ground coming from the power supply is connected to the amp boards on the terminal next to the speaker Gnd is this correct ? I am beginning to think I lost my way. :confused:

trouble shooting Badger build.

If I understand you correctly this is on both channels. If I were you I would unhook the PS from the boards and check to see if the problem is in the power supply section. Most problems I have had and read about involve just one channel and not both.

Yes it is on both boards, I have disconnected both tested the supply then I have another supply I used to check and have the same result.

Here is a snap of the connections on the supply. If I understand correctly the GnD from the power supply is connected to the amp board next to the speaker ground. Am i correct?

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 90
I am fairly certain if you are describing ground as I think that it is correct. Have you tried hooking one board at a time up and see if it is both channels and not just one?

Yes sir I have tried just one board same result. I have double checked the caps all are good took them out to make sure.

The trimmer that adjust dc offset is r17 that can’t be installed in reverse?

One of the issues with this build is there are some conflicting information on the versions that are confusing. On rev 2.4 the bom I ordered was on the day store and has the older parts.

I guess I need to pull all the transistors out and start over? I am stumped on why! I built plent of other dyi builds and had not hit this brick wall. Guess I need to put this down and give it a rest!

And thank you for the help any other ideas would be appreciated!

Localizing the problem to one circuit is the first thing a repair technician does. Just work with one board and get it to working before hooking up the other board. When you pull the output transistors you can check them with just a multimeter for shorts. Youtube "test transistor with multimeter" to find out how. There is a good chance the problem is going to lie in the power section.