DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Through-hole components are disappearing, its just a matter of time before all the low signal transistors will only be available in smd. I don't understand the compulsion to continue to design audio circuits with obsolete leaded components. If you want low noise BC550/BC560 transistors then use the smd equivalents BC850/BC860. Same with KSC1845/KSA992, the smd equivalents FJV1845/FJV992 are readily available.

"Wolverine" (Son of Badger) is technically obsolete from a leaded component availability point of view.

Agree 100%

I tried before to get the forum to go SMD before. I'm not scared of it. I even like the idea of those duals in the 6 pin package.
Tubes and phono players are obsolete now. So are freakin' CD players. I have not even seen a CD in 20 years.

This is a gateway project. The modular IPS's can be all SMD.

Point is , if they won't build it - why bother. Just go buy a Chinese class D SMD .... throw it in a box.
Even with SMD , I saw devices and traces so small on my son's new ASUS motherboard that one could not even repair it.
SMD is going the way of disposable prebuilt modular. NO DIY.
OS

I agree (and preaching to the converted), it must be frustrating for you to appease everyone, and it's a catch-22 and as you know there are a number of factors at play:

• The demographics and attitudes of DiyAudio forum members.
  • Technological progress and obsolescence ie: CRT TV's and physical mediums (tape, vinyl, CD).
  • Consumer product pricing expectations. they don't care what's inside the box.
  • The demise of electronic component outlets like Radio Shack.
Some of these factors have influenced electronics and the types of components that are now manufactured.

So we're not surprised (well those of us who work with electronics) when components like high voltage transistors and through hole components disappear and are replaced with different form factors. It's inevitable that at some point Diy'ers will have to accept reality that through hole componentry is living on borrowed time.

It's not all doom and gloom and most of the transistors in through hole are available in smd. I guess what makes it a little easier is we can design two versions of the same amplifier with a little help from our CAD software and other forum members who can contribute to a smd version. It gives everyone an option and it future-proofs the design to some extent.

As an example I took your spooky amp and mashed it together with slewmaster and turned it into a mostly smd design (its still a work in progress).

Attachments

• Spooky Power Amplifier.png
    Spooky Power Amplifier.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 686
Thanks Indiglo for your suggestions. What surface mount parts are you using for your VAS/Predriver?

For a fully surface mount IPS I'd use these parts. Any other suggestions?

Low VCE (BC550/BC560 Series Equivalent)
-BC849/BC859
-BC850/BC860
-BC846/BC856

High VCE (KSC1845/KSA992 Equivalent)
-FJV1845/FJV992

High VCE VAS/Predriver
-2SC4027/2SA1552 (TTC004B/TTA004B Equivalent)

Last edited:
Hi OS,

Regarding post 99, furthering my previous question about IPS(s)...

Will the Wolverine IPS be available as a daughter board for people who want to experiment with multiple IPS?

I'd love to do a Spooky (HK990 based) someday, but I'd really like to enjoy your Badger based design as well.

I might try to e-cycle and old chassis and build a separate unit if not.

I'm pretty stoked about this design!

I vote strongly for through-hole.
Who cares if through-hole would disappear in 10 years. It might not.
If they would, there would be Grandson of Badger with full SMD.
Let us keep going thru this time.

Why thank you , friend.

Full SMD , not sure we are ready for that.

And JW , I found many errors too.

New ones. (below).

Full EBC for Q1/2 /3/4. .lay and pictures. Re-did a lot of it.

PS - the schema is redrawn. Vregs/OPS are unified now. Servo and vregs
still have 2xx numbering.

OS

Attachments

• wolverine PCB 1.jpg
    wolverine PCB 1.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 561
  • wolverine schema 1.jpg
    wolverine schema 1.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 569
  • DIYAWolverine.zip
    88.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Q8 emitter is connected to the base of Q7, should be collector.

This manual checking is hard on the brain!

Great exercise ... aye.

I took me a few weeks to even GET TO the slew level.
I am now beyond. I'm doing an SMD greenamp IPS now.
Learning the different package sizes. 1206 Resistors/diodes SOT23/89 semi's.
Might do a "dually" SOT23-6 for the diamond pair. Wow , 1206 LED's are
.11c each.
OS

Last edited: