DIY vs brand speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like sealed boxes because the math is easier.* There, I said it. :)

Seriously though, I have worked with both types, and for typical home listening room dimensions, sealed boxes have more pros than cons for me. In larger spaces they just aren't efficient enough.

*Also, tuning. And measuring.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to play it safe I'd recommend purchasing a used set of loudspeakers, then taking out the XO filter and building a new one from scratch. It'll give the opportunity to learn something valuable and once you get tired of it, you can put everything back as it were originally and sell it.

In my view and in my case, a DIY version of an existing brand name loudspeaker is not only a lot less expensive, also in line with it regarding sound quality.

Attachments

• Dynaudio Confidence 5 envisioned.jpg
    Dynaudio Confidence 5 envisioned.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 319
What are you implying those bass drivers won be good at mid frequencies ??

Im implying that the combination of woofers and tweeters you mention will
not bring you the wished results. And that both woofers will not do well in
small bookshelve sized closed cabinets,because their parameter sets are
optimised for vented enclosures of a larger size.
As a rule of thumb,bigger sized woofers need larger volumes to function as
intended. And since you have a cap on volume you must look for woofers
that are optimised for that volume.

Last edited:
I am open to listen but regarding to the tweeters, I haven't found any soft dome I like yet. I have listened to Sonus Faber, Tannoy, Mission, Dynaudio, etc. I don't like the sound of the soft domes I have listened to.
IMHO, you didn't listen to a soft dome, but to a soft dome with a crossover. See here what Zaph says about dome material (scroll down to the Vifa NE line tweeter test results, March 27, 2010): Zaph|Audio

In general your constraints are hard to match all together (2-way with 8" sealed and metal tweeter), I don't know of an open design like you want. If you want a 8" you need a tweeter in a waveguide or horn, and that is what was suggested, or you need a more robust and thus expensive tweeter.

Ralf

In general your constraints are hard to match all together (2-way with 8" sealed and metal tweeter), I don't know of an open design like you want.

Right,and on top of that a overly tight cap on netto enclosure volume: book-
shelve size. Meaning a bucket of air behind the bass.:h_ache:

That said,industry speakers got him covered of course. I remember the
Canton Karat 920 for example which comes close. Although its not a enclosed
but vented speaker,it has a 8" bass and a 1" metall-dome and is bookshelve
sized.

Last edited:
Of the speakers you are looking at I think these two will integrate together the best (although I agree a 6.5 inch driver would be better for off axis response). The bass drive is not well suited to a small box.

Scanspeak Discovery 22/W8534600 8" woofer

Peerless DA25BG08 metal dome tweeter

I have done a crossover simulation from the data sheets, the woofer is showing signs of beaming at the top of the response. So I brought the tweeter response as low as I though I could get away with 2KHz (which is the measurement bandwidth in the data sheet for its power response). You can see this in the off axis responses and the power response.

I have minimise crossover components as far as possible to give as direct a path as possible and reduce cost. As it seems you like to hear the metallic top end of the instruments, I have balanced it quite bright.

The bass alignment is a massive compromise as this speaker really wants to be in a much bigger box than a book shelf speaker will allow. I have simulated a 15L box this has quite a high Q hence peaks a bit and will give a mid bass heavy presentation. If you wanted to reduce the bass peak a 22R resistor (or other value to your taste) in parallel with the bass driver will massively reduce the 40 Ohm peak resonance at the cost of a dB or so off mid range response.

Attachments

• crossover.JPG
    crossover.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 301
  • Scan_Speak_Peerless_DA25BG08-08_Six-pack.jpg
    Scan_Speak_Peerless_DA25BG08-08_Six-pack.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Scan_Speak_Peerless_DA25BG08-08_SPL merge.jpg
    Scan_Speak_Peerless_DA25BG08-08_SPL merge.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 300-500 baffle.JPG
    300-500 baffle.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 290
  • bass+ baffle.JPG
    bass+ baffle.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 288
IMHO, you didn't listen to a soft dome, but to a soft dome with a crossover. See here what Zaph says about dome material (scroll down to the Vifa NE line tweeter test results, March 27, 2010): Zaph|Audio

In general your constraints are hard to match all together (2-way with 8" sealed and metal tweeter), I don't know of an open design like you want. If you want a 8" you need a tweeter in a waveguide or horn, and that is what was suggested, or you need a more robust and thus expensive tweeter.

Ralf
I agree with you.! Probably, the limitations of those soft domes I have listened to are the results of the crossover design. It makes sense but to be clear about it, I have to buy some soft domes and to play with the crossover. I have to take the risk. Thanks

sized.
I have been advised 32L cabinets and less for those woofers. I agree with that size.

sized.
There are many brand speakers with those characteristics. I don't know why is so difficult for DIY build.!

gfiandy gives a good suggestion for the drivers you prefer. 15L is a nice bookshelf size. One thing you can do with diy is to give careful attention to a well braced well damped enclosure. Drivers themselves can also benefit from dampening out chassis resonances on the driver frames. This is one area that separates mid fi products from cost no object designs, where the diy'er can really compete.

Of the speakers you are looking at I think these two will integrate together the best (although I agree a 6.5 inch driver would be better for off axis response). The bass drive is not well suited to a small box.

Scanspeak Discovery 22/W8534600 8" woofer

Peerless DA25BG08 metal dome tweeter

I have done a crossover simulation from the data sheets, the woofer is showing signs of beaming at the top of the response. So I brought the tweeter response as low as I though I could get away with 2KHz (which is the measurement bandwidth in the data sheet for its power response). You can see this in the off axis responses and the power response.

I have minimise crossover components as far as possible to give as direct a path as possible and reduce cost. As it seems you like to hear the metallic top end of the instruments, I have balanced it quite bright.

The bass alignment is a massive compromise as this speaker really wants to be in a much bigger box than a book shelf speaker will allow. I have simulated a 15L box this has quite a high Q hence peaks a bit and will give a mid bass heavy presentation. If you wanted to reduce the bass peak a 22R resistor (or other value to your taste) in parallel with the bass driver will massively reduce the 40 Ohm peak resonance at the cost of a dB or so off mid range response.

Fabulous.! I have to thank you for this. I see you have understood me well. One of the things I notice with quality speakers is most designers sacrifice hi-frequency details in order to avoid distortion or fatigue. The result is you are listening to a rolled off speaker where the "live" of music is lost. Keep in mind this is my personal preference without questioning who is right or wrong . I can not live with a distorted tweeter either but like liveliness. For instance, some materials, such as beryllium or titanium are hard for mi taste. Anyway, if what you suggest demand bigger enclosures, I appreciate if you give me a suggestion of something bigger where the bass driver works better. Let say a large bookshelf such as the B&W DM-602 S2 to give you an idea. Not necessary as big as them but similar. A 32L or less is a good size for me. Again, thanks for your time and help.!

...the
sized.

The Canton Karat 920 is a very good speaker, albeit from the 90s.

Some data

8 inch midbass
1 inch aluminium/manganese dome tweeter
60 / 90 watts
87 db
crossover freq 2800 hz
4 ohms
220 x 340 x 260 mm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.