DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myren, are you sure that the decoder you bought wasn't just piece of ****? I would think different models has differences in quality just as DVD-player devices have.

I didn't quite undestand the dscaler, it requires tv-card? My tv-card is with bt878 chip but I coudn't find the damn thing from anywhere yesterday since it's not plugged in to the machine. I would have wanted to try get it working with the dscaler. They said somewhere in the dscaler webpage that dvdplayer device->tvcard->dscaler doesn't produce as good quality than dvd-decoder card.

I have probably missed something but what's wrong with the bulb you have now, Myren?

I have now three 5x5" fans the noise is already absolutely terrible. It mostly comes from the box though but I really don't want more fans anymore:). I actually don't know what to do. I think it is the cooling "design" which in my thing just isn't proper, rather than the coolers woudn't be powerful enough, cause they are quite powerful and were the expensivest ones I could get.
One thing would be if there are condenser lenses that could stand more heat.? I don't have problem with the LCD but the fresnel can't deal with the heat. And it's not even that hot. It's still basicly touchable by hand when I can see that delisicous white light in the screen turning in to brown ****!!

MAN! Check this light out:

150watt fluorescent

Perfect! For only $400! Well, it's good to know that there is SOMETHING out there. 12000 lumens from 150 watts is pretty nice.

Anyway, here are some ok sites for lights to check:

http://www.lite-house.com/
www.hellolights.com
www.ahsupply.com
www.fulham.com

The two middle links deal mostly with aquaria, but they can be helpful. Fulham does ballasts. I'm still interested in the overdriving option or a power compact fluorescent. I'm thinking about trying to run a PC light with a T8 ballast. I'm probably asking for trouble, but $5 is pretty cheap for a learning experience. If anybody else tries this before (or after) I do, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Electricity kills.

I'll let you know how it goes, if it goes at all. I'm convinced that LOA doesn't have to be the only game in town. I think they are just overdriving a PC tube and putting a reflector behind it. Just my opinion.

soje, welcome to the board! Any ideas on LCD sources? I'm still having a tough time finding a suitable LCD. Anybody?

Also, to those using the page magnifier fresnels, does the circular pattern of the fresnel degrade the projected image quality?

Thanks for everybody's input on the project. I've been side tracked recently, but I'm still in the game. Good luck.

-f4

Lamps

A tip on what to be interesting in lamps and ballast

Lamp: click here Price: $348.93

Ballast: click here Price: $71.70

Total price: $420.63

It is a lot of money, but it will give you a chance to get a 1500 ANSI Lumen projector.

Fans: Find out how to do the cooling most efficient.
Hitachi has a site with some information: click here

Will find more later on!

Lighting info source....

Myren, I'm not sure if this is more of what you're looking for about lighting info, but try:

http://www.gelighting.com/

This sends you off to the GE Lighting home page and seems to have lots of info about their lamps (bulbs) and about lighting in general. I just skimmed it briefly, so I'm not absolutely sure if it has what you're looking for.

If you're looking for other lighting ideas, as I've mentioned before, take a look at some theatrical sites on lighting design and see what they have to say about lighting in general. (Sorry, don't know any right off hand...)

Hope this helps!

The 150w fluorescent is cool! The price is absolutely terrible though. It's not bad price for it's lifetime but what if the damn thing blows up after two days for no reason?! There you have $400 of ****. Even if it has somesort of warranty it probably won't cover the whole life time and anyways they'll tell you you used it wrong or some **** like that.

I would still consider buying that one if it would be possible me to actually get one from somewhere. I'll try to look in to that.

I think the GElighting had some 105w fluorescent, the lumens was about the same than LOA one but it's an alternative anyway.

Possibility for lights

My first post here. I've been following this thread for a while and am in the process of getting the parts to build my projector. I was very interested in the LOA lights, but I haven't been able to find them locally (I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) which seems to be a problem for some others as well. I have found a local reseller of 65 watt CFL bulbs. They claim 4500 lumens with a temp of 4200K-6400K. They had a two bulb demo set up in their show room and it looked pretty impressive (and white!). The cost, including the ballast which is NOT "on" the bulb, is $65 CDN (reasonable in my opinion). The bulb itself has a mogul base (pretty standard for indusrial lamps), which is connected to the ballast. I'm considering using two of these (~9000 lumens). Here's the link to the importers' (not the resellers) site.

http://www.yfsinternational.com/asp/category.asp?id=PL-H/4U

If I can be of help to anyone else with looking for lights let me know!

Nice work, zark! I really like that idea. Aside from fabricating a custom reflector, I think you have that setup figured out. Is that Lexan lens a physical barrier to heat or does it filter IR? I'm not familiar with Lexan. Probably just a physical barrier? Looks nice. I'm really excited about seeing some images of the projection, particularly some close-ups for evaluating the pixellation/screen door effect. How far away is your projector from the screen when you produce the 6.5' screen?

B***h, that 150watt fluorescent is only 4100K, which would probably produce too much red with the image. The 7500K metal halide lamp that soje mentioned would have a nice color (I would rather be on the blue side of the spectrum than the red). I really think that fluorescents can be practical for this purpose (just like zark and others are demonstating with the LOAs), I just want to find some other options outside of the LOA for flexibility and availability purposes.

Welcome to the board, vhayduk. Those bulbs look promising.

-f4

Hello,
I've been following this thread for awhile but this is my first post.
I am almost finished with my own projector and have run into a few snags. One was the light source, but I solved that with the LOA light. Not the worklight but the security light. Its bright, white, and the bulb is almost the exact size and shape of the 5" screen that I'm using.
The second problem is that I got the lens from an old projection screen TV. Its an earlier Delta lens. It had liquid between the CRT and the lens assembly and I thought that it was there to keep things cool, but I found out that its biggest function was to focus and refract the light through the lens properly.
That liquid is now long gone, and when I focus the screen through the air space where the liquid once was, I only get part of the image to come up on the screen. I learned that the liquid is part deionized water and part propylene glycol. Does anyone know a DIY substitute for this stuff?
Thanks,
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.