DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flagre,

What's the life span of these Osram bulbs? The LOA's have 10,000 hours. The Solux have 3,000 hours with a lower color temperature but high IR rejection; anyway the 3500K - 4700K still beats most of the lamps (~ 3300K) in the Overhead Projectors.

Bixs,

Home Depot in Austin, Texas has the other LOA; same output but rather large fitting; if you intend to make your own reflector that may be a good choice.

Myren- I feel your pain

Hi all,

Like just about everybody on this thread, I've been reading this for months now and this is my first post. I've already purchased a low resolution LCD screen(383x234- it cost waay too much) and I'm using it to test lamps, etc. I've already had a projected image with only one lens, and a 500W worklight. The light wasn't nearly bright enough, and it melted the piece of plastic that I mounted my screen on in less than 5 minutes! Needless to say, I'll be looking for a LOA light in the near future.

Myren- I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate tragedy. I had some problems with my LCD screen as well, and had to break out the soldering iron. I was really inspired to look into this project again once I read your initial post, and I think that, for me, the OHP approach is the way to go-especially since I use my computer for movies, games, and TV. I've got a few questions however:

1. Did you purchase the bulb you're using seperatly form the OHP?
2. How is the pixel response with the viewsonic? Can any motion blurring be seen when playing games/any other times where there are high framerates?

Well, I guess that's only 2 questions. Anyway, if I get anywhere I'll be sure to post the results on my page. Good luck to everyone. Don't give up! Keep imagining your 70" movies..

pläh, the cooling isn't working, the thing can't stand a longer session unless I lower the lightsource and switch the fresnel to other one (which can condense the light better from distance) not getting so bright but still watchable image when lights off.

I think I need those fluorescents...

Right guys...thanks for your input, it's putting me on a better track than I was on.

Here's a question for you.

If I had an LCD monitor with only a standard 15pin input would I be able to rig this up somehow (I can solder reasonably well) to accept an RGB/Composite input or is there a small device that can do this for you?

I'm sure I saw a link in this thread about a box that you plugged a composite into and a monitor connection came out the other end, but I can't find the post (it's always the case)

Thanks

F.

Hey Forrest,

Here's a couple more links:

AVToolBox.com
They have several products that might work for you.

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/review1.htm
The info is a few years old, but maybe it will help.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a simple or inexpensive way to convert an analog video signal to VGA for a raw LCD from a laptop. Laptop screens use different connections, and they vary from maker to maker.

Good luck!

-f4

Rear Projection !!!!!

Well I rigged it all together in the den lastnight and guess what I now have a 48" rear projection TV
with a excellent no exceptional no great no what's the word I am looking for? Oh Yeah! FANTASTIC picture. Very bright and sharp in in the den with the 60 watt ceiling light on. This screen is an improvement beyond all my expectations.
I did not really think a high gain rear projection screen would made such an improvement. If someone can get a hold of a high gain front projection screen I think this will also make dramatic improvements in contrast and brightness. These units being very expensive is a major problem for most of us I am sure. The good ones at 4 feet or larger are in the thousands of dollars.
My rear projection screen has a few blemishes on the smooth side but are completely unseen in the projected image. I got it from a place that refurbishes projection tv's of all make and models and sizes because of the blimishes they were going to throw it out. So check out these places in your area.

I have one problem to solve though.
The focal length is about 6 feet so I am going to build a cabinet with a mirror to fold the optics. This should allow for a reasonable sized projector.

Sorry for not posting any new pics on my site of the screen and image, I just threw it all together in the den last night. I will however get some pics of the setup and the screen and post them hopefully this weekend. At bstv.timlewellyn.com

I am continuing to improve on this as we all find better ways to do what needs to be done. I think I am going to stick with the 48" screen for now, weather I'll be happy after it is all put together and set up in my den/theater, I don't know, if not we'll have to try something else.

More to come!

Rear projection is a great idea - shame I've not got enough space for one!

The mirrors used in rear projection need to be different to a mirror for a bathroom... you want one that doesn't have glass in front of the reflective surface... This is because the light will become refracted as it enters and exits the glass, giving 2 images on the screen (like a shadowing)

Screen Size

I guess I should clear up something about my screen size, after all, as all of you know size is important.
The screen is 36" X 48" giving a 60" diagonal screen, with a fantastic picture. I am going to build this with the 60" rear projection screen.
I am going to the lumber yard this week end and get some framing material. As as posted by GMSHROLL I will have to aquire a front surface mirror for this but should not be to difficult or expensive.

Tim:D

vdi_nenna said:
Did you try bouncing the light off of a 'cold mirror'? I know they are expensive, but they are made to absorb the heat.
Hello,
I have once again no idea how to buy one around here. Other thing is how do you get the light condensed properly with it? Don't you need more mirrors (which can probably be normal mirrors though) like two or three at least to get the light to go to the right spot at the fresnel?(?)
I haven't looked in to this at all as I wanted to keep this simple, I thought with that noise (from the coolers) it should work just fine.

I'm really intrested about those fluorexes since that ohp lightsouce I'm using now isn't going to last forever anyway and the 500w worklight is just weak (watchable at dark room).

I was thinking one thing about the worklight though. It has that "reflecting" surface stuff or whatever in it but what if I removed it so it would just have the bulb in it, would that make it work better with fresnel? Would it become "point light source"?
I don't know... I'm just asking:)

Light source....

I've read up a bit on those small Halogen bulbs with "Dichroic" reflectors which draw the heat out the back of the bulb itself (or at least a large portion of the heat)

Well it turns out we use these in the shop where I work and they're exceptionally bright, as in blindingly bright with a very WHITE light. I just tested with my hand but there was hardly any heat at all.

Does anyone know if this might be workable fora light source? maybe 3 or 4 together?

Thanks again...

:cool:

Has anyone had any success with multiple lights?

In my thing the lightsource has to be in exact place for the light condense properly, move it an inch and it really doesn't project anything so having two light sources wouldn't probably work too well (for me anyway) unless maybe with some hardcore tweaking.

Anyway I removed the reflective stuff from the worklight yesterday but it didn't do anything good.

Vince you mean something like this?:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll have to see if I'm able to get cold mirror from anywhere.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, in the way that I post messages and participate in discussions.

I've followed this thread about 4 months or so. On and off

I'm interested in how things are going with LED's or if everyone has thrown away the hole idea.:eek: Hope not.

I work with projectors so there are things that I'm restricted to talk about. InFocus is the Corporation.

Ask me anything and I will decide what to answere.

Sondre;)

Status
Not open for further replies.