DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Yes #80 is alive and by luck, it was my 2nd choice # of the lot. First off - thank you to Mr Pass for making this project a success! My wife said, "What? You only spent 2 days building..." meaning the project was a breeze. Coming from a background of making everything from scratch (such as the chassis), I can't stress how much easier it is to finish an amp when all the parts are there.

Some construction notes:

1) Locally, I could not find the wee nuts for the bolts that hold the power socket so I had to take matters into my own hands :D Instead of mounting the socket on the rear inside panel, I wanted a different look ; I brought out the drill bits. The holes were enlarged to 4.5mm and one must be careful in position of drilling (not as simple as to just drill the hole bigger as both hole positions need to align with the plastic socket). Also one must also be careful with the hack saw and razor blade knife ; I had to do some fine shaving on the plastic socket. You want a flush fit so there's enough surface area for the CY glue to set. :emoticon:

2) I noticed many have omitted the chassis ground to the wee lugs on the power socket (which grounds back to the SMPS). I felt uneasy without it. :eek:

3) I have strong preference to using solder tabs instead of the bare wire through a hole and fill it up with solder. Not only solder tabs make it easier to solder but also for removal of the wire (and you're not butchering up the board if you have to changes things). On the output stage boards i've separated the solder lugs so the low level wires are above, and the higher power wiring are on the backside. Must be from all those years building tube amps of having this approach. :cool:

4) Output stage boards are centre on the heatsinks, and the front end boards are closest to the rear. You will save on wiring doing this way (or maybe not if you like bird nest soup)? :yuck:

5) Zen_Mod is a Fugly guy :clown:

No comments on the sound yet as I need some time for a proper evaluation. My chosen speakers are Klipschorns (circa 2002) and my trusty ol' BLS Preamp which has gruntiful of gain. Dialing in the 20V was easy as pie and nothing compared to the CSX1 voltage adjustments on my other amp.

https://imgur.com/qUqNQyG

https://imgur.com/K2cQBFj

https://imgur.com/hrgzbk4

https://imgur.com/vHy3Zpe

Wow, nice job, very clean interior.

Tony

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Zennie, found these heatsinks in my heatsink cellar.
Was saving them for a special amp and this is a special amp

Attachments

• 4FC5D8B9-29C2-41F2-A3FE-B2D4F8A2F3B6.jpeg
    4FC5D8B9-29C2-41F2-A3FE-B2D4F8A2F3B6.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey Zennie, found these heatsinks in my heatsink cellar.
Was saving them for a special amp. You like?

Was saving them for a special amp and this is a special amp
can't figure out dims without reference though, I remember one nasty boy saying to other nasty boy, to hide set of Babelfish J2 pcbs in da corner, at BAF 2019

maybe that's proper answer?

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Now with an IRF250 on top for scale
IMG_0244.jpg
I got them at that scrap metal place in Redwood City, CA. Just the pair are about 8Kg.It was actually a single piece which I cut in half.
I'm fortunate to have some fine vintage VFETS so I have to wait for the later kits.Don't think I'll need to center the bracket on the heatsinks!

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah, they are a bit less deep and a bit less tall, and have less fins, but the fins are twice as long, and the heat will definitely find its way out to them with that thick metal, Also that 1/2" front panel will radiate some heat too! I'll make it a lot wider than the official chassis so that will allow the Gain Stage boards to be installed perpendicularly with angle brackets if needed. And it may be needed because I'm hoping to install 2 different sets and be able to switch between them. Mostly I want to make Zen Mod jealous!

Loving Costa Rica, but I can't wait to get to Burning Amp in October. Got my shots!

Mark

Last edited:
I have a collection of salvaged IRF252 TO-3 mosfets. I pulled these from large rectifiers when I came to NZ over 20 years ago - just to get the heatsinks.

FzCvkev.jpg

How reliable are the online datasheets for comparing differences between the IRF250 (used in the SE VFets here) vs these IRF252 ? Would they be good candidates for future CCS circuits? Any info on deciphering the printed lot / date codes?

I also heard? that IRF240 TO-247 may go obsolete - you know just in case I have some spares from building way back :D

@ SoundHappy

I don't mean to cause any alarm and been trying to find the source on this issue - buried deep in the forum by another member. The issue being, there's a long trend of making things smaller. With the global semiconductor shortage... it's not unreasonable if certain manufacturers stop making these large transistors.