DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Amp. nr. 32 is up and running, and has been for a week...
Great looking amp! I have to agree with others, cleanest cable management so far. Absolutely pristine!

In terms of cable “contamination”, is there a downside in having the FE outputs, the higher V OE output and the reference ground all go “together” wrapped un perfectly parallel with each other? Could this create a “field” that pollutes one signal with the other, or having the speaker ground pick up some noise?

Or is this really not an issue at all?

Esthetically, it’s an order of magnitude better! Not sure if it has an electrical / audio impact?

Thanks for your wisdom on this.
Rafa.

I have now played on VFET some days now and I really like the amp.
Wiring not as prof. as other we have seen recently but good enough to sound excellent. "Silky" detailed sound with deep bass. I was afraid that sound wound be too rounded and voluminous after a longer experience but that seems not to be the case until now at least.

A track that is rendered very well by the amp is the 1984 studio version of Tin Pan Alley from album Couldn't Stand the Weather. It is a kind of blues played by Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar (he was a talented guitar player from Texas). I like his playing.....

I put the amp up on some "rubber feet" to get a bit more air circulation. But don't think it has a significant influence on amp temperature.

Attachments

• DSC_1597_00001.jpg
    DSC_1597_00001.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC_1611_00001.jpg
    DSC_1611_00001.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 372
I have now played on VFET some days now and I really like the amp.
Wiring not as prof. as other we have seen recently but good enough to sound excellent. "Silky" detailed sound with deep bass. I was afraid that sound wound be too rounded and voluminous after a longer experience but that seems not to be the case until now at least.

A track that is rendered very well by the amp is the 1984 studio version of Tin Pan Alley from album Couldn't Stand the Weather. It is a kind of blues played by Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar (he was a talented guitar player from Texas). I like his playing.....

I put the amp up on some "rubber feet" to get a bit more air circulation. But don't think it has a significant influence on amp temperature.

I think the SRV track mentioned is both a great piece of music and a great track for audio equipment evaluation.

Yes, I can see that......Dallas, Texas.
Think it was in the summer 1990 I was in Dallas to visit a conference. It is hot in Texas!

I will check out Little Wing tomorrow. VFET amp has just been shot off for tonight.
His old worn out Fender could be fun to have as souvenir.

I am quite sure the twisted pairs are not PTFE/teflon as it melts a bit during soldering.
I did not have enough 16ga wire in kit to make the amp board to speaker connections so I used my own PTFE wire for that which is also 16 AWG. I got it directly from Jantzen Audio here in DK (shipped from Poland as I remember it). Normally it should be purchased using one of the distributors. But very nice cable.
http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Cables-Catalogue.pdf