DIY Sony VFET pt 1

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
how does the logistics of this work out? Once this design has been finalized, its sent to your PCB fabricator, and they just crank them out to the tune of about a week or so, and send back your way?

Is this the same supplier of boards that you use for other projects as well?

In the old days, we would tape up a design and send it out to be
photographed and then place an order with the pc house. A proto board
would cost about $1,000 (old dollars) and take about a month.

Now with computers and internet and Chinese outfits it takes about $50
and a week. I use pcbway.com, and there are other good ones but
I'm comfy with them.

:snail:

In the old days...

:snail:

In the good old days I’ll tape up a board, transfer the predrawn circuit design, cut out the unnecessary tape, mix up the ferric chloride, then marinate circuit board...too short, you have copper left between narrow tracks and too long, it will eat up the copper underneath the tape. We want it to marinate just right! :lickface:

DIY circuit board is the coolest :cool:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
DK Red is pretty much a clone of OSHPark purple. DK charges $1.50 per sq inch per board, with a required minimum buy of 4 boards. OSHPark charges $1.67 per sq inch per board, with a required minimum buy of 3 boards.

If you need 3, 2, or 1 copies of your board: OSHPark is cheaper. If you want 4 boards, DK is cheaper.

This happens with my 2016 Vfet Part 2 amp build. I am using a 3U chassis that has a single sink on each side. My first thought is that it is from the T-bracket to sink interface, but the creaking happens very soon after power on (usually, just once) and again very soon just after power off (again, usually just once). It doesn't make sense to me that any heat-related expansion of the bracket/sink interface can happen this quickly (typically within 5-10 seconds). This makes me think the creak comes from the interface between the TO-3 can and the bracket and causing the heatsink fins to resonate.

I'm just guessing here, I've not spent any significant time trying to track it down.

Same here - the ticks happen right away within 5 - 10 seconds and I don't think it's coming from the transistor mountings. I had a 2nd look many months ago by re-tightening the bolts which did reduce the amount of creaking, but eventually the creaks came back to like before.

It's part of the chassis design and perhaps I have too much heat expansion. Going from the L-Bracket, to the 2 individually joined heat sinks and the heat sinks touching each end of the front & rear plates.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Are the TO-3s even warm after 10s past switch-on ?
Certainly not the T-brackets, and even less the heatsinks ...

In my case, it's thermal. On the warming phase, after maybe half an hour with a 5U/400 at about 200W. In the cooling-down phase, after maybe 10 minutes.

5-10s after switch-on sounds like something else ... thermal time constants are quite long in the Modushop chassis.

Regards,
Claas

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Amp. nr. 32 is up and running, and has been for a week.
Sorry I didn't write earlier, but I've been hypnotized, pure and simple.
This is a very happy little amp, very eager to convince you that the way it plays music, is the way it's meant to be played. It's so excited, it occasionally feels like it's sprinkling a little fairydust over the top, just to impress you.
The silence, the expansion, the dynamics are nothing short of amazing. It just urges you to keep on listening.

I absolutely love it. A true gem! Huuuuge thank you to papa and everyone involved in making this possible.

Regarding the build process itself, I only have a few notes:
Screws for the power plug was missing. Sourced some locally.
The supplied 7ml of heat paste wasn't enough for me to get full 'seapage' around the bracket, so I cleaned it off and used 10ml of my own stuff.
Added washers to the screws holding the filter board. Heads were too small for the holes in the bottom.
Used the srews from the lid/bottom of the chassis to hold the TO-3 brackets. They are 2mm shorter.
Used the screws from the TO-3 bracket for the lid/bottom of the chassis.
I found no need for adding washers to avoid bending of rear chassis.
If you just slide the 'rails' on the heat-sinks all the way to the back so it touches the rear chassis before tightening the screws in the heat-sinks, the problem doesn't occur.

Somewhere along the line, probably in this thread, 'zomeone' wrote the following statements:
1: Lottery amp is M2 for sissies, and...
2: M2 is Firstwatt totem!

I guess it's time to start building an M2.

Attachments

• On.jpg
    On.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 500
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 476
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 490
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Top_1.jpg
    Top_1.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 278
@ baeijsman

Thanks for sharing. Today I was planning out the layout for the boards on the heat sinks and noticed your layout to be the same. 6L6's build guide has both boards closer to the front of the chassis. I much prefer them closer to the rear to minimize extra wiring length. Likewise in my other VFet amp, I don't like bird nests.

Interestingly, i'm missing the small nuts for the power socket but have the screws. Will check for a local option.

Yes, very nice build and wiring.
Can see VFET brackets are moved to the center of heatsinks. Were there holes that just fit this position?

Build guide suggest that brackets are moved to the front. It causes that heatsink are a lot hotter at one end than the other......but still "only" 50C max. Then 10mm front panel takes its part also......

Joined 2015
Paid Member
From what I understood, the reason for moving the brackets towards the front, was to ensure enough room for the alternative front-ends, but as I have no intention of changing it, I thought it made more sense to place them closer to the centre. No additional drilling/tapping was nessesary.