DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Attachments

• F934ADD9-2567-4BEF-B634-F9FBFF8FCD49.JPG
    F934ADD9-2567-4BEF-B634-F9FBFF8FCD49.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 283
Ok... so, lets talk about cooking! Boiling eggs, frying chips... that sort of cooking! I have my heatsinks at 44°C ~ 48° as well (around 20C ambient)... but the top of the Sony device reads 75°!

I think the junction to case is about 1 degree celsius per watt.With that in mind a 75 case temp would equal 109 celsius junction temp.Close to the 120 celsius max. rating for the sony device.

change T03 squishy sheets for mica & goop

or simply trust Papa and just chill
Oh! Him I trust completely! It is me I am doubting!!! That I may have done something wrong, bias the amp wrong (I did at first measure voltage on the wrong zener :( ), that my plate may have less-than-ideal contact with the heat sink. I was blaming this on me… not questioning, if this is their normal temp, the design.

For what is worth, I live at 2800 meters above sea level, so air is thinner, and therefore has less capacity to cool down things. It’s interesting how that affects so many things here but we don’t pay much attention to it.

If everyone has more or less the same temps and that is indeed Papa’s expected temp, I’m more than happy.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By way of addressing concerns about the silicone insulators vs mica and
goop, we see that mica and goop are .3 - .4 deg C/watt and the silicone
is about .5 deg. For the 30 watts involved we are looking at 4 or 5 deg C.,
difference, with a junction temperature of about 100 deg C.

Not enough to lose sleep over.

:snail: