diy projector from the Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yup its the stainless steel soup ladle. I will take it tomorrow. Hope to get it by Friday.

Attachments

• outline5 008.jpg
    outline5 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,138
There are 2 types of chrome process. this i was told

1. hard chrome- tedious process. can withstand very high temp. Cannot be made mirror finish

2. decorative chrome- simple process. mirror finish found on car engine top cover.

Any idea about temp inside soup ladle?

I was charge $3 as trial. He agreed bec i told him i will have 100 pcs soup ladle chrome plated if it is ok.
(anyone who wants one just in case its good?)

I dont know my screen specs. Can u help me differentiate the two kinds the u mention. my screen looks like a leatherette.

Any idea about temp inside soup ladle?

Not meassured but stainless steel soup ladle get tinted like gold due to overheat. I hope chrome surface stay reflective in long time hot exposure. I hope it will cause I saw it on some Bikes and car Exhausting tubes (Is that correct in english ?:xeye: )

From Da-Lite web site:
Matte White

The most versatile screen surface and the premier choice when ambient light is controllable. It evenly distributes light over a wide viewing area while colors remain bright and life-like, with no shifts in hue. Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant.

Glass Beaded

This surface has the ability to achieve a higher gain by reflecting more of the projected image back along the projection axis. Glass beads impregnated into the screen's surface provide additional reflectance. This attribute creates an unparalleled screen surface that reproduces vibrant life-like color at moderate viewing angles. Flame retardant and mildew resistant.

Do you have the branch and model of your screen ?
I´m looking to try a high gain commercial screen to see if they really improve light reflection and worth the money they are asking for.

BFOURCADE,

I FOUND A PROGRESSIVE COMPONENT VIDEO TO VGA ADAPTER. HERE'S THE LINK.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61395&item=5702091567&rd=1

ISN'T IT THAT ALL LCD CAN HANDLE PROGRESSIVE SCAN ESPECIALLY SINCE MY LCD IS DESIGNED TO BE USE FOR TABLET PC?

AS FAR AS AS KNOW ALL PC MONITOR ARE DESIGNRED TO HANDLE PROGRESSIVE SCAN. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM MISINFORMED.

BTW, I FOUND A SITE THAT CAN ENRICH MORE OUR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PROGRESSIVE SCANNING. HERE IS THE LINK.
http://www.syncblaster.com/gtmfytv.htm
I HAVEN'T HAVE THE TIME YET TO READ ALL THAT IS IN THAT SITE. ANYBODY'S OPINION WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.

Attachments

• outline5 016.jpg
    outline5 016.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,114
diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Guys, take a guess at what the yellow burn mark is, its the polish burning on the surface of the metal, its baking on the material lol, chome will also bake and discolour, a enclosed 250w metal halide will possibly burn the chrome, a car exhaust is not hot at the rear, about 80 - 100deg compared to 650deg c on a metal halide bulb.

Normal chrome will burn at 300deg c with a naked flame, id say 600deg c without a naked flame and with the hich intesity of a metal halide bulb, but dont take my word for it, try it first.

The only thing to use is silver plating or a special alloy coating.

Trev

Trev,

I am thinking of turning a reflector on a CNC lathe out of stainless steel. But heat treated stainless steel developes a brown coating on the surface. Do you think that this will occur in stainless and do you know the cause. Is it the chromium or nickel burning or oxidizing. Another question is the degree of polish. It seems like the more light is reflected the less heat will be generated in the reflector but I quess that depends on how good it's IR reflection is.

Any ideas,

Hezz

Let me share this to you guys.

I have 3 reflectors all made of stainless steel but one of them is not being affected by heat, atleast after using it for a few days. this reflector is the thickest and the shiniest one but my problem is it is a about 1 centimeter bigger in diameter than my condenser lens. My other reflector which is smaller than my condenser projects a brighter image though it will only last for a day or two.

Gotta researched on stainless steel classification or grade. I understand there is a lot.

by the way my chrome plated reflector will be made available tomorrow afternoon. probably share with you the result during the night. The plater is now givng it to me for free for trial. He said he has no problem with his chrome plated engine top cover which he estimated at 100 deg C. I'll keep my finger crossed then.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Heya Hezz, stainless steel is actually black, not silver, its only silver when its exsposed to oxygen, if you have ever worked with stainless steal thats come strait from the mill or is about 2weeks old, you will see it is black inside as the inside hasnt had the oxgen go that far into at that stage, it normally takes 3weeks for oxygen to penatrate 6mm thick stainless steal plate.

As for the discoulorisation with stainless and heat, i can only image this is because you are burning the oxygen out of it, and with time should turn back to silver, welding stainless is a good example but then we go into different flux reations and so on.

If i was you hezz, spin up some alloy bar, you cant go wrong and it can be very shinny, just spin it at a very high speed and trim very small amounts of in a continuous run mode. As for the polish, hmmm no polish can handle 600deg c unless its a special polish and it wouldnt be cheap no doubt, silver plating would be the way to go. if you did polish it, you may have to get it treated with a coating both for oxidization and for the heat. A chemical polish would be the best rather then a wax type.

Trev

hi, i'm not sure why your having problems with discoloration
of your stainless steel. maybe it is just a bad batch. most types
of ss should handle the heat without problems.

if your going to cnc your reflector, why not just use aluminum? it
is much easier to machine and works fine. i don't think you need
to get too caught up in high tech plating for this application. a nice
finish on aluminum is quite reflective. here are a couple pics of a
nice cnc reflector i have set up to use hmi de lamps.

all the best tony

Attachments

• hmireflect1.jpg
    hmireflect1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,182
I used to CnC some. Lots of fun. You make that tonydean?? Nice job. That done on a table top mill, upright industrial size? I was thinking of cnc lathing one, for a 2" bulb. But the stuff we had in high tech class at school was way outta my $$$ bracket to own. Looking for some used ones though and finding some good deals. Lucky for me my bro's a autocad engineer so he's still fresh up on useing them. Im a little rusty by now. Been about 3 years since I touched a CNC driven anything.:eek:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Im a little rusty by now. Been about 3 years since I touched a CNC driven anything.

Ahh come on altec its not that bad lol, ive used about 25 different machines, all cnc, and i remeber them off by heart, computers make it easy, i remember machines before cnc was even arond in my country and that was hard on your memory, you know count 5 turns this side then go 3 the other way kind of thing? lol

Trev

Hi hertzblaster !

BFOURCADE,
I FOUND A PROGRESSIVE COMPONENT VIDEO TO VGA ADAPTER. HERE'S THE LINK.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5702091567&rd=1
It looks to be a good complement for your setup. I'm prety sure with this your DVD player will perform as an HTPC !

You must to realize what VGA modes uses the adapter for each component signal and look in the table of VGA modes supported by your monitor. Some VGA modes are interlaced and some others progressive with differents resolutions and refresh scan rates but I'm pretty sure your VGA monitor is wide compatible with most of the standard VGA modes.

Hope it makes sense.
Bernardo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.