diy projector from the Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi hertz just went thorugh the whole thread. great looking results.

i built a 17" pj back in the lumenlab days, and was in the process of building a 5.6" one until i broke the lcd last night. which kind of made me happy deep down since i really didnt like the panel. low contrast and color rendering 6 bit only.

so i plan to go with the N070ICG, but need to ask how happy are you with it. the screenies you just posted look a little on the warmer side in terms of color temp. do you see it when watching a movie - especially in the dark scenes/shadows. I saw the comparison you posted with the 10.1 inch and you say in general you dont notice the difference too much. i found the screenies for the 10.1 to be in the higher color temp which i personally prefer.

one last thing about the led. how come the led array which is usally much larger than the arc size of a metal halide lamp give better results- i still dont understand this, any thoughts on why ? what is the led array size you have in your setup right now - i remember reading it is a custom one - is it the led array that is custom or the driver.

thanks.

Last edited:
The 10.1 inch panel has 1500 contrast ratio.
The 7 inch is 800 CR . Thats why 10.1 inch produces better color.

You will love the color saturation in actual.

Led is brighter because light is emitted only to its front face so its easier to focus most
Of the light to lcd.

My led is custom made. It uses only 8x8 or 64 leds 128w to emit 14000lumens. Commercial 120w led uses 12 x12 or 120 leds to emit less than 14000 lumens. I am using 2w per led against 1w per led for commerical led. So my custom made led has 50% smaller emitting area than commercial led hence is more efficient.

Commercial led cannot use 2w or even 3w per led because of heat. While we can use it but we have to use water cooling.

Last edited:
Made the wooden box following the measurements in sketch-up. Looks perfect!

B101UAN01.1 using F-345 Side by side with B101EW05 using -240

photo78.jpg

hmmm. let me share a little of what I learned for the past nine years.

dont get stuck in one variable to gain high brightness projection. all the parts in the light path and all electronics that includes video player and add to that video materials must be considered

Lcd alone will not guarantee it. The controllers plays a big role. Nobody can tell which one is better unless you try them all . And I did try several controllers that is commercially available that you will see in ebay and in many areas .

Even if you pay for the most expensive lens available commercially, the choice of controller not best for diyprojector will kill your expectation for bright projection.

The IPS panel paired with a good controller will make you happy.

but then again, its not all about controller only to gain good brightness. its about all parts that you use for diyprojector.

Pics cannot tell the actual image quality. Its just pics and doesnt what you really see in the actual projection. The actual projection is always better than the pics posted ,as the builders will say. If you see green tint in my pics, I will tell you its not present in actual image projection. All we can rely on is how the builders sees it.

The pics you posted by the way is a little passe! its the pics I got when I just finished building it for the first time. There is an interesting lessons behind that pics in case you are interested to know it and it will give you more confidence. I have written it . you know where to look for pics and the diary for the latest build.

hertz,

you are right it is a matter of trial and error when it comes to DIY projectors. there are so many variables than affect the final result. I have gone down that road when I first started with my 17" pj. went through 3 LCD's, 4 sets of fresnels, countless condenser lenses.. bulbs etc. that was 5 years ago and haven't been involved with the pj since. the cost of keeping that rythym up was starting to make it self feel on the budget. since then mainly just watching it

now I want to change from the 17" to a smaller one since I am not too happy with the current setup. my throw is 4.5 meters and screen size is 3.3 meters wide. it is quite darker than I would want it to be. I am running a 400W lamp at 550W

also the wife factor is a big influence ... I hate it when watching a movie my wife says things like "why is the left side so dark", "what is that bright spot in the center" :)

also living in Turkey there is almost no source of DIY parts anymore. at the time of lumenlab there were couple of online places that were selling some common parts but now they are gone too. waiting for a part from china 1 month every time something breaks is just so tiring. so now before I go on with the new build I am trying to make a better guesstimate than before .. you are right what ever I choose to use it will be a gamble ... I am quite happy to have found this thread since you have already done quite a bit of trial error your self. I always appreciate ppl who share their findings

I hope you can bare with my questions for a a little bit longer. I have just gone through all the posts on tipidpc too .. there are some REALLY good results. makes me very jealous.

hi guys, can somebody help me with my diy projector, to give some idea, i think to use the 15 inch lcd display from laptop with max res 1920x1200, 150w led, 4-90 degree lens for led. I dont know what fresnel lens and projection lens to use for these set and where to buy, my location is chicago, il, usa. I found a lot new and good information from these forum. Thanks !!! ;)

Here we go! Image size is 120inches diagonal!

source is still dvd upscaled to 720p by the bluray player then upscaled to 1920x1200 by the controller.

I will buy a bluray version later to eliminate multi upscaling.

As expected, flesh tone is much better and it has a more saturated color.
Deeper blue red yellow and green color.

Awesome!

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

This last picture is when I set the bluray player to 1080p. The image invert doesnt work. Hoping that the supplier can find the bug. If they can't, I will have to turn the pojector upside down and invert also the pump and the water block.
DSC00231.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.