DIY Proac Center speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mezzo, I'm considering your design. But I would prefer to make a design that is "smaller" as it would be an advantage to put the box on the TV. But maybe the estetic design has to be sacrificed for the sound as there do not seem to exist any exact clone crossover for the neat Proac CC One Center.

Perka

The best solution to have a perfect coherence with your PROAC 2.5 and to put a tweeter XT25SG at the place of D2010, the woofer will be when with him a 18S8535.
Keep the filter original of the clone but changed this:
Change resistance to the beginning of the filter tweeter by one
3 ohms, replaced the rolling up of 0.25 MH by one 0.18 MH and replace also the last condenser of 4.7uf by one 6.8 uf. You can also applied networks RLC (10 ohms + 3.3 uF + 1.5 MH) in // with the 18S8535 to this central enclosure like on your PROAC 2.5. Made the modification of Jacques mod on your principal PROAC 2.5 by changing the coil of 1.5 MH by one 1.8 MH and also changed the condenser of 8.5 uF by a 7uf.
If you want one limps finer like CCone, I can rectified dimensions. Absent person me I am French and I hope that you include/understand me ;)
If you want diagrams total of the filter and case of the PROAC
2.5 exchange, known as it me I pass it to you ;)
I think very sincerely who this central enclosure will be more coherent than CCone ;)
Aldo

WinISD simulation

Hi,

I tried to simulate the box with WinISD, and I got the following results. It has a 4.8 dB peak at 60 Hz, and the -3 dB point is at 40 Hz. Is that correct, or did I miss something? Is this acceptable for a CC, or can we improve it somehow?

Regards,

Saci

Attachments

• winisd1.jpg
    winisd1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,049
I would like to start the proac center speaker project this week.

I'll probably go for the same drivers (but choose a shielded 8535) and x-over as the big ones and just make the box 1/3 size about with 19mm mdf on all walls and narrow the front width so that there is only 1 cm distance between the 8535 and the edge. This box will be too heavy/big anyway to place directly on the tv so I guess it's not necessary to have a shielded tweeer. I will either hang it on the wall about 20cm above the tv or place it on a 30 cm high stand on the floor with the center speaker slightly angeled 10- 20 degrees upwards.

Just tell me if I can go wrong with this!

Regards
Perka

unshielded tweeter

Hi Perka,

Have you tried the unshielded tweeter with your TV from 20 cm distance? I tried, and it seems that 20 cm is not enough (at least with my TV), it still disturbs the picture. I suggest trying it before you build the speaker! :)

I think I will use the Vifa tweeter instead.

Saci

Re: unshielded tweeter

Saci said:
Hi Perka,

Have you tried the unshielded tweeter with your TV from 20 cm distance? I tried, and it seems that 20 cm is not enough (at least with my TV), it still disturbs the picture. I suggest trying it before you build the speaker! :)

I think I will use the Vifa tweeter instead.

Saci

Hi Saci,
20 cm seems to be Ok on my TV. Of course I would like to have a shielded tweerter to be on the safe side, but there must be some compensation in the filter if I use the Vifa and I haven't found any information about that. But if somebody says I wouldn't recognise any (or minor) sound difference (after their own listening experience) if I have the proac original x-over and just put the vifa tweeter, I'm happy to hear that.

Regards,
Perka

mezzo said:
The best solution to have a perfect coherence with your PROAC 2.5 and to put a tweeter XT25SG at the place of D2010, the woofer will be when with him a 18S8535.
Keep the filter original of the clone but changed this:
Change resistance to the beginning of the filter tweeter by one
3 ohms, replaced the rolling up of 0.25 MH by one 0.18 MH and replace also the last condenser of 4.7uf by one 6.8 uf. You can also applied networks RLC (10 ohms + 3.3 uF + 1.5 MH) in // with the 18S8535 to this central enclosure like on your PROAC 2.5. Made the modification of Jacques mod on your principal PROAC 2.5 by changing the coil of 1.5 MH by one 1.8 MH and also changed the condenser of 8.5 uF by a 7uf.

Aldo

Has somebody tried this, or will I be the first after mezzo?
I would like to buy the same high quality components as the big clones (hovland capacitors+very low DCR inductors) so before I start to spend, It would be nice to have somebodys elses opinion (no offense mezzo, I really appreiciate your time put in this subject). After experience with the big clones, with many changements in x-over design (Jaques mod+ LCR notch filter and so on), I would like to be right from the beginning.

Regards,
Perka

Hello,

I wanted to know how are things in the Centre Channel area ?
Did anyone built the Proac 2.5 centre ?

What is the status for now ?
The link "http://audioclone.free.fr/proac2.5center.JPG" is somewhat broken because the pic only load half of it....

Hope someone fixes it....

Cheers,

Filipe Sa

Hello,

I am starting on the Proac 2.5 clones now. I will build them with the mods and notch filter by Jack.

I wanted to build a centre speaker that would be coherent with these speakers, i have Response 2s originals wich i will use for surrounds if the Clones are good enough.

I just think the cabinet of the 2.5 centre is too small.
The CC2 is bigger but it uses 2 woofers. I wonder if i can enlarge the speaker cabinet on the 2.5 centre and not ruin the sound.

Hi,

Yes, but i thought that the adaptation of the crossover and the exchange for the Vifa tweeter was needed in order to adapt the speaker to a smaller cabinet !

Because if the goal is to achieve the Proac 2.5 timbre, wouldnt it be logical to have the same tweeter ? That is why i am so insecure in all this....

And so many ppl says that the internal volume on the Proac 2.5 clones must be sticktly as specified or the voices and the overall sound of the speaker will be affected and diminueshed !!!
Imagine what happens to the centre with the same tweeter and woofer.....but smaller....much smaller cabinet ????

It has to go wrong for cerntain , wont it ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.