DIY optical cartridge preamp

DS Audio recently decided to open up their optical phono stage details for the world to use in order to help optical cartridges become more widely used and compatible with more preamps, etc., rather than only being compatible with DS Audio phono stages.

My first thought was that this could open up the possibility of a DS Audio cartridge + DIY optical phono preamp :)

Some info is published here: https://www.ds-audio-w.biz/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EQ-infover1.02.pdf

According to this article, DS Audio is open to technical enquiries about their technology, though this may apply to manufacturers only: DS Audio is sharing its optical phono cartridge secrets for free | What Hi-Fi?

Who wants to go first? :D

Finding that a DS003 optical cartridge sounds more realistic than any magnetic type tried so far. Friends owning a collection of magnetic cartridges don't bother with them anymore, feel they are obsolete in terms of obtainable sound quality.

Last edited:
I just got the DS-E1 and made single stage preamp.
My speaker has active woofer with integrated subsonic filter so I didn't build that part.
It's an interesting entry level cartridge sounds more like CD but more detail.
If budget allows would recommend 003 as I am missing the resolution from exotic stylus (shibata/sas/micro-ridge).

Attachments

• ds-e1-6j49p.jpg
    ds-e1-6j49p.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Finding that a DS003 optical cartridge sounds more realistic than any magnetic type tried so far. Friends owning a collection of magnetic cartridges don't bother with them anymore, feel they are obsolete in terms of obtainable sound quality.
Kind of a harsh staement??
Some of my previous cartridges include Sumiko Palo Santos, Kiseki Blue and Blackheart, WTL Kauri, div. Ortofon Jubilee, Kontrapunkt´s amongst others.
Now playing a Goldring 920-IGC with a new DaCapo shibata stylus and missing........ absolutely nothing.
My Shure V15-IV MR also compares to most of, what I´ve had in my system, so no... old stock MM´s are very much alive;)
The prices on DS-Audio borders to fraud IMO.
Like the DS-1..... bad frequency linearity, bad tracking and more. Why on earth pay these money for a cartridge that performs
questionable at best, when you can get a MC or MM for same price or less, that outperforms it anyday?? Beyond my comprehension :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of a harsh statement??
I have it from a hi end audio consultant with some of the best magnetic carts in his collection. He doesn't listen to magnetic anymore. He will still help people who want them though.

Currently using a DS W3 myself that I paid fully for, just said in the interests of disclosure. Using a custom discrete preamp not from DS, also said in the interests of disclosure.

Last edited:
I have it from a hi end audio consultant with some of the best magnetic carts in his collection. He doesn't listen to magnetic anymore. He will still help people who want them though.
Yeahhh..... You said it..... "High End Audio consultant" :LOL:
I know a couple of these. One of them is a countryman, sorry to say. Is very persuasive, when he´s giving out his pseudo babble.
First he worked for Nordost, now a proud partner at Ansuz Acousics, so bottom line, having scammed people all of his life.
These High End Audio consultants (n)

@2A3SET
You using the DS document on powering/EQing the cart? This is the latest one I know of: https://ds-audio-w.biz/cms/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Technical-information20221212_c.pdf
Thanks for the latest doc,

I am using 20K I/V for 2nd generation cart, for 3rd generation it's 16K, otherwise I am following the DS doc except the subsonic filter since I have a hypex D-amp to power the woofer.

>> from DS doc,
The internal connection of DS Audio’ s optical pickup cartridges are shown as follows.
In the 2nd generation pickup cartridges such as “DS Master1”, “DS-W2”, “DS002” and “DS-E1”, single infrared LED is used as a light source for both channel PD.
In the 3rd generation pickup cartridges such as “Grand Master” and “DS003”, separated infrared LEDs are used as light source for each channel PD individually.
As a result, output signal from the 3rd generation pickup cartridges is boosted against that of the 2nd generation.
If you would like to optimize your phono equalizer for the 2nd generation pickup cartridges, additional gain would be desirable.
(For example, replace 16k ohm bias resistors to 20k ohm in fig. 2.)

Last edited:
...and FM signals.
Do you mean FM radio? If so, here is what radio stations do to process audio: https://www.steampoweredradio.com/pdf/orban/orban optimod fm 8200brochure/Orban Optimod-FM 8200 Brochure.pdf
If CDs, vinyl, and FM all sound the same, seems very odd.

EDIT: Regarding taking advice from audiophiles, most of them are not technical nor are they skilled listeners. I wouldn't just take advice from most of them either, although I might check with someone I know is reliable :)

Last edited:
I've just purchased a TRIO KE-9021 optical cartridge. I'll post any learnings in this thread.

Cheers, Mike
Not much information around on this Trio photo-electric cartridge, so I thought it best to track down the matching preamplifier (KA-9021) to reverse-engineer it. I have just bought one ex-Japan and waiting on delivery.

Cheers, Mike

Reactions: 1 user
The KA-9021 turned up. It was listed as "won't power up" but I suspected that it would only power up with the cartridge connected.
Sure 'nuff, it works! The KA-9021 is different from the Supreme 20 in that it is designed to be connected to a MM phono input with RIAA EQ rather than a line input.
The circuit is thus quite complex; I'll post some photos soon, and measure some voltages.

Reactions: 1 users
This TRIO KE-9021 optical cartridge is turning out more interesting/challenging than anticipated - after I bought one very recently.
The most interesting is the bias voltage for the cartridge - various electret condenser/electrostatic cartridges have B+ 9V supplied trough the right channel "ground" wire, DS Audio optical cartridges have the same, but B+ 5V ...
I am quite surprised the KA-9021 is a device that feeds the normal MM phono input with RIAA EQ and not the line stage - this appears like degradation of the ultimately achievable sound quality traded for broader compatibility.
I am really awaiting any info on the KA-9021 circuit/photos/measured voltages with bated breath !