DIY Front End 2022

I managed to install the converters in my balanced preamp.
My single ended vfet followers are pretty happy now.
Yesterday it was like magic!

Attachments

• IMG_4241.jpeg
    IMG_4241.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: 5 users
In the post #1290 the THD, for the same output voltage, decreases as the output load increase. The simulation also shows the same decreases. REW and Spice also show in the a change in the phase of 2H. Can this affect the total THD?
Spice with supply +/- 23V prefers a lower load. :mad:
Also in this case there is a change in the phase of 2H.

Positive or negative doesn’t matter if the level(of h2) is the same you get same thd.
If you drive your amp with a preamp that has negative phase 2nd it doesn’t mean your amp will give you negative phase 2nd on the output.
Don’t loose your sleep with this.
Ltspice is good until a certain point from there on you need to build the gadget and test it in the real world.

Hi,
I sort of completed this preamp with the parts that I had in hands. Some parts (pot and power connector) are still not there, but otherwise the preamp is fully functional.
For the reference, the amplifier is MoFo, the speakers are Alpair 10.3.
Previously I had used used a Jfet Boz Preamp with J310 jfet. To my ears, that preamp sounds wonderful on low to normal volumes. But, if you crank it up, is is not so nice.
Now, some sonic impressions of Frontend 2022 (as compared to Jfet Boz):

Sounds nice and clean. Nothing that irritates or "sounds wrong".
But, the soundstage is a bit narrower, the sound is more "dry" and there is less "air" between instruments.
At low volumes, Jfet boz sounds better (or more "musical" if you like).
At high volumes (with ZZ Top for example) Frontend 2022 sounds better.
I think that in the end it boils down to the amount of second harmonic (negative phase) that I like.
So, the quest continues...

Attachments

• Frontend2022-1.jpg
    Frontend2022-1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Frontend2022-2.jpg
    Frontend2022-2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Frontend2022-3.jpg
    Frontend2022-3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Frontend2022-4.jpg
    Frontend2022-4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I sort of completed this preamp with the parts that I had in hands. Some parts (pot and power connector) are still not there, but otherwise the preamp is fully functional.
For the reference, the amplifier is MoFo, the speakers are Alpair 10.3.
Previously I had used used a Jfet Boz Preamp with J310 jfet. To my ears, that preamp sounds wonderful on low to normal volumes. But, if you crank it up, is is not so nice.
Now, some sonic impressions of Frontend 2022 (as compared to Jfet Boz):

Sounds nice and clean. Nothing that irritates or "sounds wrong".
But, the soundstage is a bit narrower, the sound is more "dry" and there is less "air" between instruments.
At low volumes, Jfet boz sounds better (or more "musical" if you like).
At high volumes (with ZZ Top for example) Frontend 2022 sounds better.
I think that in the end it boils down to the amount of second harmonic (negative phase) that I like.
So, the quest continues...
Goooooood job, nice!

The F5T has a single-ended input stage: no differential pair in the front end. My plan is to place the NP FE in the cabinet of the F5 T, feed it from the +/- 31 v of the F5T CRC PSU, and connect the output of the FE straigth to the input of the F5T. I will then insert XLR sockets in the rear panel, and a switch with which one can choose between XLR (balanced) or RCA (unbalanced) input. Of course, I will then use 0 dB gain in the FE, since the 20 dB gain of the F5T is enough for me.

your build looks great, Ben Mah! Thanks for the info about the 62 V.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the FE working on 48 V unipolar PSU, using the modified virtual ground approach of post #401. The Meanwell SMPS gave me -90 dB of hum/buzz. With the modified Virtual Ground definition, and Nelson's modification with the 10 Ohm degeration resistor, the noise level, including the 50 Hz and its harmonics, is below -130 dB, the noise level. Therefore the FE will not add any coloration to the F5T sound. The performace is a lot better than LTSpice suggests, but that is probably due to the faulty LTSpice model of the J113, as EUVL made clear in the UDNESS thread. This FE 2022 is once again one of Nelson Pass' little juwels: simple and elegant design and superb performance.

Reactions: 1 users