DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

Lupulroz said:
Actually the PLAY commands are not supported by the old ATA cd-drives, according to documentation and my experiments. So anyway you have to deal with the READ command if you want to use them, I suppose.
Only newer (1997-today) ATAPI devices understand the PLAY commands.
Or you have acces to some documents that I don't know...

CD drives were rarely ever ATA/IDE devices, I doubt such devices ever existed. Until ATAPI came along they were either SCSI or had proprietary interfaces in the main. All ATAPI did was to allow SCSI commands over the old ATA/IDE bus, which why ATAPI standards always reference the various SCSI standards.
As far as I am concerned if it does not support DVD it is an old device and as one of the commands in question was only made obsolete in INF8090 and the other is listed as obsolete with a default value in its place I feel there is a good chance I may yet be able to avoid the aggravation of tackling the READ commands.

ray.

When reading this thread I came to think of a processor which could do the work, the ADSP2189.

The serial port can be clocked at 5.8 MHz so S/PDIF or AES/EBU modulation could be done in software. It's a clever serial port, it has hardware support for circular buffers and you can choose how many bits a buffer has. Say we use 1024 bit buffers, 16 of these in a circular list we would at 66 MHz CPU clock have 11.8 instructions per bit or over 12k instructions per buffer. That should be plenty. The processor is complete with memory and needs very little around it. It could be connected to a PIC as a memory mapped slave.

C compiler exists but I recommend assembler for this.

One could do the modulation in hardware but the preambles are a problem.

The main thing the DSP chip brings to the party is its MAC. I see no requirement for this. Of it's other possible assets, the circular buffer is way too small and the serial port confers no advantage over a standard SPDIF rx, could even be considered a disadvantage and is moot if one uses the READ command instead of the PLAY command.

ray.

I was talking about transmitting S/PDIF, not receiving.

Also, that was only the serial port buffers, you need larger buffers before these of course.

The MAC is useful for address calculations if nothing else :)

It's the barrel shifter and the serial ports that are useful in this DSP, the MAC is there but you don't have to use it.

is there any way??????

:confused: Is there any way to use a cdrom drive as a stand alone mp3 player???if there is email me at digitalman01@bellsouth.net!oh and I was also woundering if there was a way to hook my cdrom up to a tany 1400lt power supply that I stripped out of a tandy 1400lt last week?The power supply works I was just woundering if there was a way to do it?????please tell me if there is im a "noob"!

Jax said:
I was talking about transmitting S/PDIF, not receiving.

Also, that was only the serial port buffers, you need larger buffers before these of course.

The MAC is useful for address calculations if nothing else :)

It's the barrel shifter and the serial ports that are useful in this DSP, the MAC is there but you don't have to use it.

1. DVD/CD devices already have SPDIF transmitters
2. What address calculations?
3. What is it one would barrel shift and why?

Still,each to his/her own.

ray.

Here it is, the final board layout. Board includes connectors, supplies, command buttons, IR sensor.

Attachments

• ideboard.jpg
    ideboard.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,358
Just for kicks...I recently opend a phillips DVD player...the DVD729K...not sure if it's available elsewhere...but I noticed it was using a "standard" DVD_Drive...coz it has this IDE cable coming out and the Molex power cable...even the set master/Slave thingy and the signal outputs and digital I/O...I tried a CD-ROm drive on...doesn't work...I'm not sure if Phillips did something to the DVD-Drive...but it seems like a cost cutting measure to me...oh yar...they removed the tray-open and front panel stuff...

Lupulroz
Your development is intended only for management?? She(it) does not read audio a stream through IDE ???
I participated in development the controller which can operate only.The information is laid out on my homepage
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

]
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The controller supports reading and indication CD-TEXT & Remote contol
Additional photos can be found here & here

Just relax everybody :)
Just let me finish the code, a communication bug with slower units to fix, and we'll see then.
Probably I will offer boards wth pre-programmed PICS at a cheap price, or I will share code or *.hex.
In this form we will make the cdrom a drive - as originally intended - so a external DAC will be needed to make sound.
Or you can try the internal one :D
If we retrieve data from IDE bus it will be no more a cd-drive, but we will start to make a complete cd-player.
Different stories...

Lupulroz
List of functions:
- support slave and master modes of CDROM unit.
- output all information on LCD 2x16 symbols.
- 30 seconds after open of tray is close it automatically.
- standard functions: Play, Pause, Stop, Forward (by 5 s), Backward (by 5 s), Next, Previous, Load/Eject
- Preview mode: playback of first 10 seconds of each track on the disk.
- time show modes: time since the beginning of track and time since the beginning of the disk.
- playback modes: Single, Repeat, Random - single playback of disk, the playback of disk in the circle and the random sampling of tracks.
- show CD-text information: the name of album, artist and name of current track. If there is no such information on the disk, then it is not derived :).
- the support of remote control (RC-5)

fedde
You can? Then sorry :)