DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Sorry guys, this might have slipped my eyes. So what you are saying is that there is an windows native UAC-2 driver available on windows update?

What ????????

That would be fantastic news! :D

Sure - for windows 10... :(

Regards

So, Micro$oft with Win10 will make Thesycon and others bankrupt?
Really fantastic news! :)
If its true....

Last edited:
What ????????

So, Micro$oft with Win10 will make Thesycon and others bankrupt?
Really fantastic news! :)
If its true....

My sources as I very well might have misinterpeted... :)

---

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Today, 02:41 PM #322
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
JensH
Denmark.gif

diyAudio Member

I don't quite see why that should be a showstopper, as long as a stable driver is available.
JensHView Public ProfileSend a private message to JensHFind More Posts by JensHAdd JensH to Your Contacts

Today, 02:45 PM #323
sangram

diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sure, but there is the showstopper - there is no native windows UAC-II driver...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram

UAC driver is now available on Windows Update if the system is enabled to look for drivers online.<snip>no ASIO was available (if that matters).

sangramView Public ProfileSend a private message to sangramFind More Posts by sangramAdd sangram to Your Contacts

---

Originally Posted by sangram [URL="http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/diy/buttons/xviewpost.gif"]
[/URL]
UAC driver is now available on Windows Update if the system is enabled to look for drivers online.<snip>no ASIO was available (if that matters).

---

Other searches I made on the net points in the same direction - but I can not confirm yet. Trying to download win10 now to test as I have a few UAC-2 capable devices...
If it is an hoax I just delete it :D and continue with win7.

Regards

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ASIO itself is not well-supported by many Windows applications, they work best with MME and Direct Sound drivers anyway. RMAA uses ASIO if you ask it to, but the interface is clunky and a lot of functionality depends on how the driver is written. For example the e-Mu cards I use expose only certain pins to the software application, and RMAA needs a different format of pins to connect to. DS is just easier, and AFAIK some measurement apps don't even use ASIO drivers.

However Thesycon drivers (for example) allow you to tweak the interface for best performance and latency tradeoff, allow some routing options etc. The Windows driver is a blank box with no functionality at all and limited support for sample rates. The Benchmark DAC2 I use has a well-written driver, but I'm not sure it will recognise the input section (even though it carries the default Thesycon logo). So no real danger of them going bankrupt.

Keen to see this project in action and how it interfaces with RMAA and ARTA.

Last edited:
"Originally Posted by sangram [URL="http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/diy/buttons/xviewpost.gif"][URL="http://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/diy/buttons/xviewpost.gif"]
[/URL][/URL]
UAC driver is now available on Windows Update if the system is enabled to look for drivers online.<snip>no ASIO was available (if that matters)."

You wrote the above statement - as you wrote UAC - did you mean UAC-2 or UAC-1?
My posts have been grounded on that you ment UAC-2 as it would have been quite unnecessary to mention UAC-1.

Regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, USB Audio Class 2.

1 is supported by default in Windows for some time now without an update/driver needed.

I may also be mistaken about ASIO, this is the Foobar Control Panel that still has the selection for the driver.

This means the driver probably also supports ASIO, but it would need someone to try it out for themselves as I no longer have the device with me.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
The Windows driver is a blank box with no functionality at all and limited support for sample rates. .

You said this about USB UAC2 driver in Win10?
What is it's maximum sample rate support? 384/32 works?
Is it available to download?

P.S. I did not find any messages about UAC2 built-in in Win10, but a lot of claims that there will be no UAC2 support!

I use the ASIO driver provided by MiniDSP, so I don't need a native Windows driver. With the ASIO driver you can bypass the Windows audio system, which is what counts here.

No, you can't; ASIO is a higher level driver it still needs a device driver. MiniDSP has paid for and provides the Thesycon USB Audio device driver for you which is why it works.

There is no UAC 2.0 driver for Windows so without the Thesycon driver for XMOS chips you can't exceed 2ch 24-bit 96 kHz. Windows only has a UAC 1.0 driver.

To answer others: I do not believe Windows 10 has UAC 2.0 support still.

To answer others: I do not believe Windows 10 has UAC 2.0 support still.

Currently there is NO UAC 2.0 support within Windows 10! :(

Read on "Windows support for USB Audio 2.0?" link below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-support-for-usb-audio-20/0d633b9f-3193-4c63-8654-fb10b3614a04?page=1&tab=question&status=AllReplies

Other discussion on that mater:

http://amplioaudio.blogspot.de/2014/02/usb-audio-class-20-windows-and-computer.html

Available UAC 2.0 class driver but NOT FREE :deer:

USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

From the discussions on the MSDN forums: They are aware of this issue and there is currently no comment given when this will be supported or not.

In the other hand MS will not provide any ASIO driver :hypno2:

BTW: The USBStreamer & given driver (outdated version 1.65 without driver signing) works on XP..Win10 using ASIO & WASAPI & WASAPI Exclusive modes.

Cheers

Hp

Last edited:
I have made a measurement of the 1 and 10 kHz distortion in loop-back.
The generator level is -10dBFS for all measurements. I have attenuated the input by 10dB. Otherwise the distortion from the ADC would dominate the picture.

There is only a small variation in the distortion when using different sample rates.

But to my surprise the distortion at 10kHz is lower than the distortion at 1 kHz :confused:
At 48kHz sampling there is of course only one harmonic distortion component, but that is not the whole explanation.

Hi JensH,

The AK4490 can provide around -116dB THD @ 0dBFS, this is the best performance I can get in my design.

BR
Paul

Last edited: