DIY ACA mini

Hello, I was wondering, I just finished up my ACA mini and was going to hook it up when I realized that the regular ACA I build already also has a 24V power supply. Are they just as good as one another? They are obliviously different, but for convienince of swapping out amps here and there is one of the power supplies better than the other, becasue if so I may choose to leave one in there for both amps, if not, well the two will be available. I am tight on plugs and wire space already. Thoughts? Thanks.

I tried switching them after reading that someone earlier in this thread said it sounded better with the power supply for the original ACA amp. I believe the power supply for the original ACA amp has more amperage than that supplied with the Mini kit and the original is obviously larger and heavier, but I'm only a novice. During the switch, I did not notice a huge improvement but admittedly did no critical listening. I'll have to try it again when I have more time.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been enjoying my ACA Mini since I built it a few months ago. The transistors came with a sticker that said they were matched by Nelson Pass. How awesome is that? It sounds great, but now I need some trouble shooting help. A few weeks ago, I noticed the left channel was silent. Both channels bias just fine, but the voltage doesn't change on the left side when music is playing.

I had time today to reflow each solder point on the left channel but that channel remains silent. The cables all work since both channels play fine when I swap a different amp. The RCA plug has connectivity on both legs. Everything looks okay to me.

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. Photos are attached (I didn't clean the flux after reflowing and adding a bit more solder). Thanks for any suggestions to get this back up and running.
Chris

I’m a little late to the party, but in picture 4434, I don’t see any solder on the ground pins of the input jack. I’m guessing that the other channel is supplying the ground reference.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thanks for taking a look, JD. The empty holes on picture 4434 are for the plastic guide pins of the input jack. The positive and negative pins are soldered in.

After listening to it all weekend, it sounds amazing. At one point, my wife was inspired to play our piano to the song below. Our piano is located near the stereo and our floorplan is open. I can't say that my stereo setup sounded exactly like our grand piano but it sounds really dang good. We don't hear all the hammers striking with our piano :).

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Hey @ClaudeG. I am currently running an Intel NUC Roon --> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 --> Whammy --> ACA Mini --> Zu Audio DW Omens. The Whammy currently has two AD797ANZ opamps but normally has a dual Classic Burson V6.

I have a potentiometer coming to allow me to remove the Whammy and put the ACA Mini on top of a little box. I'll post some pictures once it is updated.

It's going to be about a week before I have them in hand but here's a pic from KiCAD.

Attachments

• XXX Full.png
    XXX Full.png
    614.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 1 users
Ohh boy. So, here we go. For the record, my first build went great ACA. This one was going great until I was connecting speaker terminals and forgot that it was PLUGGED IN. Something happened, as it was perfectly biased last night awaiting installation to my system today. Did I mention that the switch was ON. I thought I heard a little op, and did smell something electronic as well.

I should have waited for the parts to arrive to build my case.... But I wanted to hear it.

I am getting a small buzz out of my right tweeter, like a pulsing sound. Nothing from the left. Bias ports are in range when its on.. It seems that the power supply is cycling as well as if in protection. Anyone have any thoughts, I know I do hahaha.

Last edited:
Hi Nelson, sorry for the hassle. I just wasn't thinking when I decided I wanted to hear it. So, would I be getting output from the good channel, Because I was not. My right channel was pulsing, and my left is silent. Can you explain to me which resistors and how to swap them? I am preparing my case right now to prevent another issue. Dumb Move.

Hi Nelson, sorry for the hassle. I just wasn't thinking when I decided I wanted to hear it. So, would I be getting output from the good channel, Because I was not. My right channel was pulsing, and my left is silent. Can you explain to me which resistors and how to swap them? I am preparing my case right now to prevent another issue. Dumb Move.
desolder one side of R10 at the psu input
1675762383916.png