DIY ACA mini

Assuming that store management wants it, I will supply the boards and matched semis as a kit.

Estimated cost through the store would be about $30. I think it could be available next month.

We have someone standing by to create the optional "completion kit", although everyone is free
to buy the parts on their own or through group buys.

:snail: :snail:
That would be terrific.

Reactions: 1 user
Another of the almost clone boards is up and running. The camera sees photo 1 but it really looks like photo 2 to me. :)

It's really a fine sounding amplifier.

Attachments

• aca_mini_burned_small2.png
    aca_mini_burned_small2.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 239
  • pass.png
    pass.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sure! By drivers I'm assuming you're asking about speakers. I'm using a pair of Focal 1028Be and it drives them to comfortable levels for me...I don't really listen to music much above 85dB. It's almost comical seeing that pair of speakers (rather expensive) being driven by such an inexpensive amp...you gotta love it.

If you happen to be asking about how it's driven - Pearl II or Node 2i into BA-3FE or Pass XP-10.

I am driving chinese Diatone P610 clones in my 2.1 kitchen system. The drivers are mounted in IKEA pots. In front of the amp a MiniDSP HD 2x4 and the sub is driven by a 100W T-amp.

Attachments

• 20220218_190304.jpg
    20220218_190304.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20220218_190347.jpg
    20220218_190347.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20220221_110939.jpg
    20220221_110939.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: 1 user
A couple of very subjective observation regarding the amp camp mini.

A friend won one of the kits at burning amp and was nice enough to lend me his finished amp for a week. It did well with the 4 pi speakers in the living room and I played around with it some before he came over to listen.

When we sat down to listen both of us liked the 24v 5a switcher (that came with amp camp amp 1.6) better than the 24v 3.75a switcher that came with his mini kit.

We also liked both switchers better when using Mark Johnson's PO89ZB DC filter.

Will spare you the audiophile speak but after some listening our favorite was the 24v 5a power supply with the PO89ZB filter.

There's no objective data to prove any of this but if you have the 5a switcher or the dc filter you might have some fun and see what you think.

Last edited:
Sure! By drivers I'm assuming you're asking about speakers. I'm using a pair of Focal 1028Be and it drives them to comfortable levels for me...I don't really listen to music much above 85dB. It's almost comical seeing that pair of speakers (rather expensive) being driven by such an inexpensive amp...you gotta love it.

If you happen to be asking about how it's driven - Pearl II or Node 2i into BA-3FE or Pass XP-10.
Thank you!

All I wanted to know. This again shows that quality in most cases is more important than quantity.

Enjoy!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is a neat project :)

Here is a sim for anyone interested. It is not meant to be definitive and uses only standard LTspice models (so its click and run) but you can explore the operating conditions and so on.

The first FFT is with the bypass cap and series 1 ohm across the 0.75 ohm. The second FFT is with those removed. The standing current is set to 400ma. The FFT's were done with all caps set to '1' (one Farad). The load impedance is set at 6 ohm.

ACA Mini 1.jpg

ACA Mini 2.jpg

ACA Mini 3.jpg

Attachments

• ACA Mini.asc
    3.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Mr. Micheal R pigtails and was wondering if they will except spades and maybe bare wire ? I’m in the process of ordering them and want to use them with more modern spade connectors.

thank you everyone ! Looking forward to putting my almost clone together ! Thank you again to mr Nelson pass for another wonderful design he has blessed this diy community with!

There's no objective data to prove any of this but if you have the […] dc filter you might have some fun and see what you think.

As the beneficiary of the generosity of those who made my ACA Mini build possible, and given the current unavailability of the PO89ZB kits in the Store, I’d like to offer up a couple spare kits I’ve put together with boards fabbed from Mark’s gerbers (NB: no mounting holes) and his specified BOM (KEMET-flavored). Kits and postage are on me.

I’d prefer that they went to folks who have (or will shortly) built an Mini and will share their opinions. At the very least, please have a specific and immediate use in mind for them.

Hit me up via PM with a mailing address if you’re game; I’ll reach out to the “winners” individually tomorrow. It’s not necessarily first come, first served, dig?

Reactions: 3 users
That's a very generous offer of you!

I have built over of dozen of these filters and have yet to find an application where they aren't benefical.

I have 2 of these (1 per channel) in my VFET, with very good results. For sure it is worth trying to insert one between an ACA Mini and its SMPS: dead easy to do, dead easy to compare the sound before / after in a few seconds with a helpfull operator, who could conduct blind testing aswell while at it...

Hmm, this very kind offer alone would trigger me to build an ACA Mini :) GO for it, folks!

Enjoy music very much

Claude