DIY ACA mini

I think that you could improve the combination greatly if you got two pieces of aluminum (or better, copper) strap and bolt one on either side of the center flat on the sinks with thermal goop. Clamping above and below. Easy, cheap, and better radiation. Thanks for showing us the way tall mini.

Reactions: 1 users
@birdbox: It's not even a friction fit. The pins on the bottom of the top heat sinks slip into the grooves in the heat sinks underneath, and good old gravity holds the top level down. The heat sinks are well made, and they touch each other enough for some good heat transfer.

You are right, of course, that something like thermal paste might help.

Reactions: 1 user
It will certainly change the junction temps and surrounding components, so yes, in theory the distortion products will be different. I think the measured difference would be minuscule but subjectively it could be heard.

After months of powering mine with 6s lipos ( previously posted all the details) I think the amp on battery power is simply amazing. Its dynamic are noticeably present (you get those amazing and eerie images jumping out of the loudspeaker) with much improved smoothness in upper octave energy. It’s just all day enjoyment and handily competes with all of my full size Nelson designs. It’s very good on the brick and with MJs filter becomes excellent, but to me, the ACAmini is just a revelation on battery power. Is this necessary? Not really, but it does get the very best out of this amazing design.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people say you can never have a heatsink that’s too big.
More bias will normally lower THD but does the temperature of the output devices have anything to do with THD ?
I’m asking because I’ve got some heatsinks from Class A amps running at 43C and others at 53C…do you believe the THD will be different if everything is identical between both amps except the heatsinks sizes..?

I’m not a person who only pays attention to THD..I enjoy tube amps a lot.

I’m just curious now about the THD vs output devices temp.

Thanks
Eric

@6L6: Thanks for joining the discussion.

Given that my ACA Mini is already set to a higher bias, namely 370mV, what I was wondering was whether drawing off more heat with double heat sinks would affect THD. Maybe not.

The single heat sinks got pretty hot, to the point where I could only touch them for maybe two seconds when the room was 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Nelson told me this was OK, and I used the amp for five months this way without a problem.

I added a second set of heat sinks just so that I didn't have to worry about excess heat when the room temperature got higher than usual, say 75 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit instead of the usual 69 to 72 degrees.

The double heat sinks are already a win, in that the temperature of the lower sinks is low enough now that, when the room is 72 degrees, I can touch the bottom sinks for a long time, vs. the former two seconds. I was just wondering whether I was also getting better sound. Again, maybe not.

Mini Skyscraper!

View attachment 1301243

Stacked heat sinks work very well! Has anyone else tried this?
yes, my first and only ACA-mini with stacked heatsinks and a heavy top plate (alu), which is in wintertime hand warm, in summertime about some 40+ C°, running now with ~0.360 - 0.370mV sounds in my taste more exciting than with lower bias.

IMG_9627.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users