DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive

Thank you both of you. I've tried cleaning and seen marginal improvement. I've ordered a new belts as mine are getting to the end of their life anyway. Want to ensure at least the motor controller was working as it should.

Kind of assumed as much, I intended to do separate displays.

Hi,

I managed to assembly SG4 and 3 Phase Class D amp - all parts as described here together with small 15V power supply. I tested it with other BLDC motor and it run but extreme restlessly - pulsating internally was a 6 poles.
I purchased BLWS231S-24-2000 and after calibration with default settings it runs OK.
Two problems remain:
1. Motor starts with vibrations and takes around 5 to 10 seconds to run steady.
2. Motor starts at random direction - sometimes spinning backwards - is there a solution to that?

Additional question – did someone managed to run stepper motor with that combination – I connect one winding to 0°and other to 90° and it does not move – just holding.

Thank you and best regards from Slovenia,

Bogdan

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't have the manual handy, but did you check the one test point for 0V? That's where all the signals should cancel I think.

Double check that you're using the correct outputs - 0, 120, 240
Double check that they're hooked up to the 3 correct wires on the motor (not the hall effect feedback).

I don't have the manual handy, but did you check the one test point for 0V? That's where all the signals should cancel I think.

Double check that you're using the correct outputs - 0, 120, 240
Double check that they're hooked up to the 3 correct wires on the motor (not the hall effect feedback).
Yes, I set 12V on each channel and at the end small fine-tune to 0 (actually achieved 0,19V Vpp on oscilloscope).

Motor cannot be turned if connected to hall sensors, so yes i connected to black/red/yellow wires.

I also measured current at 15V and it is around 0,3A - so 5W - first I fought that power supply is not strong enough.

BR
Bogdan

Hi,

I managed to assembly SG4 and 3 Phase Class D amp - all parts as described here together with small 15V power supply. I tested it with other BLDC motor and it run but extreme restlessly - pulsating internally was a 6 poles.
I purchased BLWS231S-24-2000 and after calibration with default settings it runs OK.
Two problems remain:
1. Motor starts with vibrations and takes around 5 to 10 seconds to run steady.
2. Motor starts at random direction - sometimes spinning backwards - is there a solution to that?

Additional question – did someone managed to run stepper motor with that combination – I connect one winding to 0°and other to 90° and it does not move – just holding.

Thank you and best regards from Slovenia,

Bogdan
Per the OP, the MA3D works with only the two AA motors specified. If you use any other motor, you're on your own. That includes stepper motors.

Check the DC voltage on the 3 outputs; they should all be ~1/2 of the supply voltage (7.5VDC). If they are not, the input caps (C5, C6 &C11) may need to be reversed polarity. Check the input and output DC voltages on these 3 caps; if the input DC voltage is lower than the output, remove and install them in reverse polarity or use non-polarized caps.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.
I measured DC voltage and it is fine - capacitors are OK.
I also found out the real problem. So if anyone in future has a problem with random motor turning - check if all 3 phases heave a good contact. In my case one line had a bad contact and so motor did start in random direction and also run a lot lauder/unevenly.

If someone manage to run a Stepper motor please post a settings and amplifier used.

Than all and BR.
Bogdan

Thank you.
I measured DC voltage and it is fine - capacitors are OK.
I also found out the real problem. So if anyone in future has a problem with random motor turning - check if all 3 phases heave a good contact. In my case one line had a bad contact and so motor did start in random direction and also run a lot lauder/unevenly.

If someone manage to run a Stepper motor please post a settings and amplifier used.

Than all and BR.
Bogdan
For stepper you require 2 phases.
You can use
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38514884...ZIzfrOY5OgsIi70yQSSF9WQg==|tkp:Bk9SR8ijhZaOYQ

Control with Arduino Nano or Uno.

Generates 2 sine waves, acceleration ramp up & down, current limit.

But if you are running a stepper off the L6470 board, no need for amplifiers. Direct drive from the board.

If you are using amplifiers to drive stepper motor with both windings separate then any class D board will do.
If driving a 3 phase motor where one side of amplifier outputs are joined then single end output is required (not BTL).
If driving a 3 phase motor with step-up transformers to each winding then no need to join amplifier outputs so BTL is suitable.

In my experience, a stepper motor will vibrate even driven by sine waves.
No better/no worse than a turntable driven from a crouzet or similar synchronous motor.
I agree. Stepper motors are designed to have a high degree of attraction between the magnetic rotor and the stator pole pieces; it is what gives it the ability to hold its position when stationary. Because of that construction, they have the highest degree of cogging of any motor type, so they are not well suited for turntable use.

Reactions: 1 user