Discrete regulators with denoiser

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The higher voltage shouldn't be an issue. I'd have to test higher current configurations. I'll try to prepare a higher current testing setup.
This is just a sim but as a general example:

View attachment 1121362

It's at 36V/20A output. Seems it could be doable. I used some random high power MOSFET model just to see how it would behave.
Higher voltage should also work but at some point there's going to be heat buildup in certain parts of the circuit (clearly apart from the pass transistor). So might need to use lower current for the denoiser circuit, or upgrade the power rating of the BJTs.

edit: also in this configuration Q1 takes a big hit at startup with a high base current surge. A protection resistor will have to be added, output capacitance would have to be increased, C3's value lowered etc. It's just a general example only.
Seeing that -140dB line makes me happy :D

Tried that IRFB3607PBF MOSFET for the negative voltage output version. 36V/100A output, seems to work with two in parallel. But I'm not sure about how large the source resistors should be. Input capacitors would need a 30mOhm total ESR, or lower if the source is lower than 10mOhm.
I might have made a mistake, never tried this before. No way of making a board for that kind of output current, I wouldn't be able to test it.
Different MOSFETs might improve performance a bit.
I attached a screenshot for +/- versions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223_140027.png
    Screenshot_20221223_140027.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 1 user