Digitally controlled preamp/headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New home for preamplifier

This was dropped off today. It took a little longer than promised but it was from a good friend and it was free! :D A custom veneered cabinet for my Kook and the front Formica veneer is from the 60's and came from an old lumber store going out of business sale.

I gave my friend the metal enclosure and I told her I wanted it to look like old stereo gear used to look. So this is what she came up with.

Attachments

• enclosureclosedsmall.jpg
    enclosureclosedsmall.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 868
Opened up...

Now we see the metal chasis that I picked up surplus for $10. It was once the home of a network terminal station. I will make a new plate for the back and get soldering ASAP.

I will follow up when it is together.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Attachments

• enclosureopensmall.jpg
    enclosureopensmall.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 884
Lot of gain

Hey Man! This thing is loud but it sounds good! :D It's first song was New Rhumba remastered Miles Davis, I was trying to keep it down at 2:30AM... :)

Is there a way to adjust the overall gain to lower it or am I talking nonsense?

I'm ready to shoe this into the wood box if I can get the green light...

Cheers,

Shawn.

Attachments

• kooksmall.jpg
    kooksmall.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 768
Re: Lot of gain

TomWaits said:
Hey Man! This thing is loud but it sounds good!

Is there a way to adjust the overall gain to lower it or am I talking nonsense?

Hi, and thanks. :)

There are at least two ways you can lower the gain...

One, place a shunt resistor on the pot from the wiper to GND, this will lower the wiper voltage from the pot, and the amp will not go to full volume (because the ADC is referenced to +5V) so decide how much gain you actually want as a percentage, and then choose a resistor that will get you a voltage that is equal to that percentage of 5V.

Two, change the firmware(I have firmware that only goes up to 0db). If you have the ability to program the PIC I will post the HEX.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Re: Lot of gain

Russ White said:

Hi, and thanks. :)

There are at least two ways you can lower the gain...

One, place a shunt resistor on the pot from the wiper to GND, this will lower the wiper voltage from the pot, and the amp will not go to full volume (because the ADC is referenced to +5V) so decide how much gain you actually want as a percentage, and then choose a resistor that will get you a voltage that is equal to that percentage of 5V.

Two, change the firmware(I have firmware that only goes up to 0db). If you have the ability to program the PIC I will post the HEX.

Cheers!
Russ

The resistor thing worked pretty good but I think I'l get a small pic kit and do the tweak throught the firmware and I'll bug you later for it.

I'm just playing some Alarm Will Sound - Aphex Twin cover's through it and it sounds great. I thought it may sound a little clinical but it doesn't at all. It seems pretty neutral. Great little circuit man! I think I should add a remote? :D I may put a selector switch on it with two more inputs to chose from. Also, I will pop a gold knob(s) on it the next time I order from Parts Connexion.

Thanks again to Russ and the Pears Brothers! :cheers:

Attachments

• kookincabinet_a.jpg
    kookincabinet_a.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,329
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.