DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Yes.

Sometimes the WINE API doesn't have all functions implemented or it behaves differently in a way that crashes the program. For these cases we can use the DLLs from a working Windows installation. A large number of programs work in WINE however.

In the stacktrace I see kernel32, ntdll, usp10, etc. Do you have any idea which ones would affect this behavior?

Wine

Hi Kean,

Sorry, I haven't the faintest idea. But does the debugger report the numeric value of a faulty handle, is it perhaps zero?
Though unlikely, there might (theoretically) a problem after resizing the diana main window under W10. The program toggles between two! (hwnd) handles in order to prevent jitter. So, would you check the value of GraphicModes in the *.ini file? Normally it is 0X1, but in case of dual handles, the value is 0X11. Maybe it has something to do with the crash.

On the other hand, I wouldn't spend much time on the current version, as the new version is almost ready to release. Perhaps it behaves better under Wine, you never know.

Cheers, E.

So I used winetricks to install these DLLs:

comctl32 comctl32ocx comdlg32ocx gdiplus gdiplus_winxp usp10

I don't know which one did it, but now clicking the distortion button displays what appears to be a demo measurement. However now when I try to open an audio file it crashes with "process not found", something having to do with comtl32.dll (could be a WINE thing I need to fix). If you want I can attach debug info or send it to you in mail.

EDIT: Here WINE provided some useful feedback:

0096:err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load comctl32.dll.HIMAGELIST_QueryInterface
wine: Call from 0x7b43c8bc to unimplemented function comctl32.dll.HIMAGELIST_QueryInterface, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function comctl32.dll.HIMAGELIST_QueryInterface called at address 0x5c0023:0x7b43c8bc (thread 0096), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: unimplemented function comctl32.dll.HIMAGELIST_QueryInterface called in 32-bit code (0x7b43c8bc).

Last edited:
@Kean,

But I also found a bug in the simulation preferences: A "dangling pointer" to a text string.
One more reason to try the new version.
Would you send me a PM with your email address, so I can mail the new version to you.
I think it makes more sense to try this first (as debugging Wine with a buggy program leads only to more confusion)

Cheers, E.

Wine

@Kean

As you can see, also zfe had issues under Wine. On the other hand, Manolis experienced no crashes, only had issues with the driver.
Apparently, it all depends on which Wine version is used.

DiAna crashes WINE (a Windows "emulator" on Mac/Linux) as soon some menu item is selected.
E.g. ARTA or Audiotester run fine with WINE.

Just, I tried the DiAna under Wine in Linux Mint, it works normally with the only message popup that there is no any ASIO driver found. No crash, no hangs!

Perhaps I should write my own preference menu instead of using the predefined (pre-baked) PropertySheet() windows function, as this thing is not easy to handle and has serious limitation and quirks. Hopefully the crashes under Wine are gone as well.

Cheers, E.

Just, I tried the Diana 1.48.9 with Wine 1.6.2 on Linux Mint (last version)

The first time that the Diana runs, you have the message "erroneous driver number" and something like "the .ini file is corrupted".
Probably, there is no any ASIO and the procedures corrupts the ini file.

Then next time, Diana opens normally, you can click on Preferences and tabs in it, but just to close it...the Diana crashes.

I have enclosed some of these.

Attachments

• Diana no ASIO.png
    Diana no ASIO.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Diana no ASIO error.png
    Diana no ASIO error.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 145
  • error.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 41
I'm using Wine 3.0.1. It's hard to run a project like Wine without having some regressions, so previous Wine versions will sometimes be used for certain programs. PlayOnLinux is a program typically used to install multiple Wine versions for compatibility (But it's a new piece of software to learn and manage).

New Microsoft developer kits are more likely to have problems with Wine as Wine development lags behind Windows changes.