Developing a Regulated Dual Rail Power Supply For FirstWatt Amps

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pico, onlinemetals.com has all kinds of copper rectangle. some at overstock 50% off price. Maybe combine order with other metals, plastics. It will be much easier on your head than pounding. I just rub a little bit of some sort of oil on it to keep it shinny and all pretty like. Look at the copper bar I used to transfer heat better from the MOSFETS (which works great) in my AlephJ. I did not even oil it and after two years it is still shiny. You have nothing to worry about, OCD or not.:)

Attachments

• CopperBar.jpg
    CopperBar.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 408
Thank you.
I'll check them out.

You're underestimating my OCD. Hahaha.
I'll stiil get them plated.
Electrical conductivity is different from thermal conductivity, and I've been bitten on the **** in the past from nice shiny unplated contacts. As soon as any oxide is formed, even an invisible monolayer of oxide things can get scary, it's like reliving a past nightmare. Hahaha

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
pico, then use something like DeoxIT. I do know what you mean. I have worked in a test lab for connectors for many years submitting them to torture tests, but what we found is high pressure, like the screws in you can capacitors tightening on the metal, will hold up and resist oxide...or you can always solder, in which case tin plating will make it easier to solder anyway, if you want pretty. I think gold plating would require a first coat of nickel under the gold. However, knowing you, this big copper bar will probably end up polished and engraved.:p

Obviously I'm Obtuse But why ? in Gawds' name does one need a Copper ingot (do we need even talk about the Sillyness of plating the damned thing) to connect betwixt a couple of goofy Caps?
You expecting 500 continuous amps??
All foolishness and OCD maladies aside this IS real Life.
Remembering.. always.. that recordings, vary from V Poor to Passable.. at best.

Back years ago I saw some discusion in The Audio Amature about using indium plated screws for the power supply caps. There was something about the indium being able to form a cold weld with the power supply caps. Hay I read this perhaps 40 years and many many beers ago so wouldn't sware by this.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I may be on the wrong side of your ocd threshold, but you can purchase copper sheets online (300mm X 300mm or so) that are more than enough thickness for a PSU bus bar (2mm?) On eBay...

My problem was drilling the stuff. If the bit catches the whole, er, hole, stretches.