Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Are you sure of this "excellent filtering ability"?

Because of its huge capacity I would assume the the UC is an excellent DC buffer, but a very lousy filter for frequencies above just a few Hz. Therefore I assume that any noise from the PSU will flow virtually unaffected to the load if both are connected to the UC at the same time.

Does anybody have data to show on the filtering capacity of the UC on AC signals in the audio range?

Large capacitors are used to filter out low-frequency noise, and small capacitors are used to filter out high-frequency noise. Therefore, the use of UC is to filter out low-frequency noise to compensate for the electrolytic capacitors, which the capacitance is much smaller than UC, only for high-frequency noise. Capacitors are used for filtering, otherwise what can they do?

If it is used as a DC buffer, no super large capacitance is required, and an electrolytic capacitor is generally sufficient. Generally, parallel UC are used in the circuit system to provide instant large current.

Last edited:
Ian,the length of the cables between the power supply and the UcConditioner is critical?if i place the power supply in a case,the UcConditioner next to the load
there will be a 30 to 40 cm cable between the two,That's all right.

When your cable is longer, you need to consider using a supercapacitor with a larger capacitance value, because the ESR of the supercapacitor with a larger capacitance value will be smaller to reduce the additional resistance caused by the cable.

@ clsidxxl

The cable length to the UcConditioner is not that serious. But please keep the UcConditioner as close as possible to the load. And also to use bigger wires for better performance.

Ian

The calculation formula of the conductor resistance of the wire is: R=ρ×L/S

Among them, ρ is the conductor resistivity, L is the length of the conductor (M), S is the cross-sectional area of the conductor (mm2).

The resistivity of the copper wire is 0.0175 at 20 degrees Celsius.

If copper wire cross-sectional area (mm2) is 1 mm2.

Copper wire resistance=0.0175*0.3M/1mm2=5mOhms

Maxwell BCAP0360 P270 S18 has an ESR of only 2.9 mOhms.

In other words, the 0.3M copper wire caused 5mOhms, which is equivalent to a large increase in resistance for BCAP0360 P270 S18. How can it be ignored?

If the 0.3M copper wire is only one end of the capacitor, considering the positive and negative copper wires, a total increase of 10mOhms.

In other words, if the wire must be used, it is better to use a supercapacitor with a larger capacitance. For example, the ESR of 3000F is only 0.29 mΩ, which can relatively ignore the additional resistance of copper cables.

Last edited:
@yunyun

You didn't really get the design idea of my LinearPi.
Why I waste my time designing a PSU if I'm happy with a $25 LDO board ? :)

Ian

Sorry but I don't realize, what is the purpose of powering the Raspberry with a super regulator?

I would assume that the Raspberry is capable to output corrects data although with high jitter, if not so, then the Raspberry is not suitable to provide I2S signals.

But if we assume that the Raspberry is suitable to provide uncorrupted I2S although with large amount of jitter, there is no reason to use a sophisticated power supply to improve the jitter because the FifoPi should do the job reclocking the incoming signals with very low output jitter.

So the questions are:
is the Raspberry suitable to provide uncorrupted I2S without a super regulator?
if so, is the FifoPi capable to improve (or eliminate) the incoming jitter from the Raspberry?

Andrea,

As I understand it, the problem is with common mode noise on the power line and ground. The I2S signal will be superimposed onto the noisy ground.

The raspberry pi also has some switching dc/dc converters that are noisy. An usbridge signature is a better choise because it has only linear regulators on board regulators and will be less noisy.

The calculation formula of the conductor resistance of the wire is: R=ρ×L/S

Among them, ρ is the conductor resistivity, L is the length of the conductor (M), S is the cross-sectional area of the conductor (mm2).

The resistivity of the copper wire is 0.0175 at 20 degrees Celsius.

If copper wire cross-sectional area (mm2) is 1 mm2.

Copper wire resistance=0.0175*0.3M/1mm2=5mOhms

Maxwell BCAP0360 P270 S18 has an ESR of only 2.9 mOhms.

In other words, the 0.3M copper wire caused 5mOhms, which is equivalent to a large increase in resistance for BCAP0360 P270 S18. How can it be ignored?

If the 0.3M copper wire is only one end of the capacitor, considering the positive and negative copper wires, a total increase of 10mOhms.

In other words, if the wire must be used, it is better to use a supercapacitor with a larger capacitance. For example, the ESR of 3000F is only 0.29 mΩ, which can relatively ignore the additional resistance of copper cables.

Thank yun yun,but I'm not talking about the cable after the UCconditioner,but the one between the power supply and the UCconditioner,
all the interest of the UCconditioner is to be able to place it very close to the load,around 5 CM in the best,in general I like this cable, cheap and good quality Mil Spec 16 AWG Silver Plated Copper Wire Green Cryo Treated - Mil Spec Wire Silver Plated With Teflon Insulation Cryo Treated -
available in several sizes

@ clsidxxl

Thanks of the information of the wire. It looks very good. I'm interested in buying some.

UcConditioner can be looked upon as a kind of passive power supply. To keep the best possible low noise and dynamic performance(such as ultra capacitor or battery), all passive power supplies need connection resistance as low as possible. Silver Plated wire can have even lower resistance and better high frequency response than the pure copper wire with the same size. So it would be a very good option, and the 16 AWG... should be big enough :).

Ian

Another question Ian; I want to power an USBridge Sig (the specs of which say it needs up to 3A) with the UC Conditioner. If I use the LinearPi with its 2A output there is a risk that the UCC will eventually run out of charge and drop out of conditioning mode. (This assumes the USBridge is consuming more than 2A in typical operation, but that may not be true for all I know!)

Is my understanding correct re the LinearPi?

@ Studley,

Just ran a quick test to LinearPi. Seems it's capable of 3A 5V output. The temperature just a bit higher than normal but still OK. And you have to make sure your transformer can delivery 3A current @AC 6V.

Ian

And I think what you mentioned 3A is the peak current. UcConditioner will take care of the dynamic demand current, the rating peak current of the 325F ultra capacitor can go up to 270A, so I don't think there is any problem. LinearPi will take care of the continuous current (less than peak current), also no problem.

Ian

Andrea,

As I understand it, the problem is with common mode noise on the power line and ground. The I2S signal will be superimposed onto the noisy ground.

The raspberry pi also has some switching dc/dc converters that are noisy. An usbridge signature is a better choise because it has only linear regulators on board regulators and will be less noisy.

Not really, unless the noise corrupts I2S signals, the noise incoming from the Raspberry can only modulate bck and ws that means higher phase noise/jitter.

The purpose of the FIFO is just to remove this jitter providing a clean I2S.
If this high jitter is reflected to the output there is a problem in the FIFO, that’s not enough decoupled from the incoming signals.
I would compare the input and the output of the FIFO with and without super regulator to understand.

@ clsidxxl

Thanks of the information of the wire. It looks very good. I'm interested in buying some.

UcConditioner can be looked upon as a kind of passive power supply. To keep the best possible low noise and dynamic performance(such as ultra capacitor or battery), all passive power supplies need connection resistance as low as possible. Silver Plated wire can have even lower resistance and better high frequency response than the pure copper wire with the same size. So it would be a very good option, and the 16 AWG... should be big enough :).

Ian

Ian glad i could help you;),with the 10 AWG it is possible to do a very efficient power cable.

Last edited:
Yes, but the user's question was about the LinearPi.

My problem is also for LinearPi. Since UcConditioner has a charging current limit of 700mA~1A, even LinearPi can output a current exceeding 1A, UcConditioner cannot receive and use it to charge UC. Therefore, I cannot understand why the output current of LinearPi is designed to reach 3A.

LinearPi's output current can reach 3A, which means that it still maintains the best statue to power UcConditioner when outputting 1A current?

@yunyun

Ultra capacitors in UcConditioner are storage components. They don't consume energy. During conditioning stage(Conditioning LED ON), UcConditioner doesn't take additional current from LinearPi (in dynamic only). LinearPi only need to deliver current as much as the load is demand.

UcConditioner only takes current to charge at first time when empty. Even at that time, LinearPi is still enough to power both.

Ian