Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

First a DUH on my part... I thought @supersurfer's question was how to keep all of the outputs of the LiFePO4 board on all the time, not just the 5V one. That's one of the hazards of glancing at a message on one's cell while doing something else. SORRY!

@Offswitched, you read into my comments something I did not say. What I was describing was that Ian COULD enable a board-switching option via firmware. This would be where 2 of his LiFePO4 supplies could have their outputs parallelled and controllers connected. When you switched the pair on, one would be connected to the output for a pre-set time or lowest cell voltage cutoff point, then swap to the other. The unconnected board would charge. This would be a way to enable an always-on mode with his LiFePO4 supplies, though at the cost of a 2nd board and cells.

IF Ian enabled this and one was using it, in the very small chance that a relay stuck connecting a cell to the output, you could connect a fully charged cell or cells to a partly discharged one. That is a very remote possibility for something it cannot already do.

I did not say what you suggested and don't appreciate you twisting my words to fit your agenda

I appreciate and share your concern for safety with this system. AND I really appreciate your inputs on getting the best sonics out of Ian's GB gear. BUT I don't appreciate you taking my comments and misinterpreting them to say something I did not, but that fit your notions of what Ian should do.

I also don't appreciate (and suspect Ian and others here also don't appreciate) you pushing a competing solution in this thread about one of Ian's GB products... and also in his GB thread. That is very impolite and inappropriate. Please don't do that.

AND please keep contributing on how to get the best sonics out of Ian's GB gear.

Respectfully,

Greg in Mississippi

I didn't push a competing solution in this thread, and there is no competing solution, because no one except Ian sells the complete LifePO4 power supply solution for the audio in the world.

If you don't like me to mention someone else's module, I won't mention it, although many people have mentioned other people's modules.

However, I still think Ian is quite risky for selling the LifePO4 power supply solution. Even if it is a very good power supply, LifePO4 is very dangerous, so far no audio manufacturers dare to push products. I have only figured this out until recently. Audio manufacturers' revenues are too small to afford the possible disasters caused by LifePO4, even if the probability is low.

Following this idea, I found that there are semi-finished products which they are not a competing solution for the audio. It can be combined to form a LifePO4 power supply solution, and they are all long-tested modules for safety. So I only shared it and provided it for reference. If sharing is not allowed in diyaudio's thread, I don't know what the meaning of diyaudio exists? Diyaudio becomes just a commercial store?

Taobao sellers no one is willing to sell LifePO4 power supply solution for audio, because if for safety reasons, the internal resistance of LifePO4 power supply may not be too low making LifePO4 power supply not much advantage. From this point of view, in fact, Ian's LifePO4 power supply solution is actually no competition solution, even Taobao sellers are curious to buy Ian's LifePO4 power supply, which is currently under study.

Last edited:
I’d suggest leaving Taobao and the intention of people from that site out of this thread. It isn’t helping anyone.

I think I was a little too reserved in my initial comment. The more I read the paragraph below, the more it wreaks of someone who has a vested interest or would purposely like to point out that Ian’s design is being copied and may be sold elsewhere. When all the other posts this person has made in the thread are considered (such as complaining about price), the comment below appears to have a sinister motive.

Taobao sellers no one is willing to sell LifePO4 power supply solution for audio, because if for safety reasons, the internal resistance of LifePO4 power supply may not be too low making LifePO4 power supply not much advantage. From this point of view, in fact, Ian's LifePO4 power supply solution is actually no competition solution, even Taobao sellers are curious to buy Ian's LifePO4 power supply, which is currently under study.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    10.2 KB · Views: 528
I don’t see any tabs on those holders - how do you connect them to the board?

LifePO4 mkII power supply.

They can use both 26650 battery cells with tabs and standard battery cases. Internal safety features have also been improved. So, over all it will be much easier and safer to assemble. PCB will be a little bit wider to fit the battery holders. But all mounting holes keep no change.

Pins of the battery holders are OK. MkII PCB has pads on one end just for the holders. At the other end, it shares the same slot with battery tabs. The battery holders that I have are strong enough and can hold 26650 LifePO4 battery cells pretty tighten.

LifePO4mkII
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

@misterdog

Hi Ian, If the tabs are cut short will the batteries still fit in the Cases ?
They should be OK.

Using the tab offcut bent at right angles, could the Mk 1 board be used with holders ?
I think there is no problem. Just be very careful no to short circuit at the edges of battery holders.

Regards,
Ian

I bought those battery holders from Amazon
FidgetKute Plastic Single 26650 Battery Holder Case Storage Box 10Pcs Black LW: Amazon.ca: Gateway

I found a lot of suppliers over there have similar battery holders. I thinks it they are standard.

The taps looks tiny but not actually that much because the 26650 battery holders are pretty big. I tested no problem for 10A charging current. Can be even more. So, just no worry.

Regards,
Ian

I ordered some from Amazon UK today that look exactly the same as those - in fact I think they use the very same photo. Cost just over £5 for 10.

I ordered some from Amazon UK today that look exactly the same as those - in fact I think they use the very same photo. Cost just over £5 for 10.

Yes, those battery holders are in very reasonable price. And the quality is also pretty good.

I really like this mkII battery holder option. Much safer and much easier.

Regards,
Ian

Much safer? More risk of putting the batteries in the wrong way. With soldering you only have to pay attention once, than they will be fixed :rolleyes:

Based on my own experience, the biggest risk would be the short circuit during assembling battery cells with tabs. Because the tools we use, solder iron, tweezers, even the probes of multi mater are all metal and possible.

The good thing of those battery cases is that there is no risk at all when assemble/solder.

Polarity, I believe every body can pay attention, wouldn't be a big issue. Even with the battery holders, people won be install and remove the battery cells often.

Of course, mkII still has option to use battery cells with tabs. It would be pretty flexible.

Regards,
Ian