Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
well Jacco,
You know how hot country Brazil can be......i know Carlos and we do not have to worry that Carlos will become to hot to explode... he is a nice guy that has to much worries on his had and has witnessed many of his friends go crazy and go from the forum - that is probably the reason he is spitting fire on everything he might think that is against him.... in reallity he is a good guy that is allways ready to help - i know him for more than 2 years now and he was sometimes angry at me but only short time when we started to talk privatelly via mail...after that he never raised his voice on me - he only don't know all the people and is cautious....well....
:)
hope this will help :)

Vurguuz...those things depends on you.

It is good the smaller supply...small power may be interesting as Sparkle said.

But depends on you...imagine that someone loves to operate the amplifier with something alike 35 watts of power...let's imagine that the speaker works better in this power range.

When using the smaller supply voltage.... the amplifier using that supply will be operating over (above, higher than) half power...much more near the distortion levels than the bigger voltage amplifier.

I want to say, that the bigger one will distort less, probable, compared with the smaller voltage supply... considering 17 volts output for instance.....my imagination., not entirelly sure..correct me if i am wrong.

But if you listen at really low levels....the smaller supply will be the perfect one...depends on you..the way you use to listen music.

I understood that 25 supply is 25VAC...so...it will result in 35 DC (more or less calculators...aproximattelly...around that...near that)

And the other one..with 35 VAC will result in 49 DC (around that calculators)
....................................................................................................
Dear Jacco

Life is a big theater..we are all "on stage"

regards,

Carlos

All rigth Sparkle..here the information

Using the bigger supply..this one with 35 volts x 2

Your output power will be 188 Watts Rms over 4 ohms
94 Watts Rms over 8 ohms

R14 will be 220 ohms and bias trimpot in the middle range.

Vr1 will have adjustment around 7700 ohms

R10 will be 1K8

Current will be 34 miliamps ...the output will hold a very small current...something near 10 miliamps (you can adjust)
.................................................................................................

The other transformer...that one with 25 volts x 2

Your output power will be 98 Watts RMS over 4 ohms
49 watts RMS over 8 ohms

R14 will be 330 ohms..and bias trimpot will be adjusted to 82 ohms

VR1 will have adjustment around 8000 ohms to correct the off set.

R10 will be 2400 ohms (to match 750 milivolts in the input)
output current was adjusted to 100 miliamps. (you can adjust)

Sparkle..you are an enginner..you can inform those things in my place and you also can re-check my calculations...as i am not so good related calculations (I do not apreciate...i prefer to listen...that part is the hard one for me)

Sorry...i was very complicated....all he wants to know are the above informs....but observe the transformer power...i think he will need more than one.

regards,

Carlos

oh no, no, no ....
i only want to help - not to have somebodies else feather...... you are a good friend and i don't want to steal your thread.....
only suggest this and that if i can....:)

in my opinion that transformer that has 2*25V would be much better choice for the amplifier.... nice power, nice size of the transformer....you can use one of them - or even better you can use two of those 2*25V - one for each channel and also separate each power supply for each channel if You can Vurguuz...
if You can't than use one power supply and one transoformer - it would be o.k. too....no problem.....

edit : well one may be sufficient but hard on the edge .... two will be much, much better ..... :) oh, it would look nice - everything separated - 2 transformers, 2 bridges, 2 filterings, 2 channels.....well if he can do that of course....

hmm.... now that i look at it ....it is only 200VA transformer... it will be hard on the edge for two channels.....better to use 2 transformers - each one for one channel....

Yes.... a little bit nervous in the reality, as i could see what

happened with Graham Maynard...and this turns me nervous.

Forum is free....too much in my point of view.

The police we have do not want to be police.

You can enter without give informations about you...so..if you are
very frustrated in you life...a good idea may be enter as Spitfire and go creating mess.

I think the forum "dark side" will be more interesting..as you can select the annoying ones and give them what they deserve..bad times...beeing "with the force".... the ligth side..you will be target.

And it is easy.... try to teach Nelson Pass to design class A amplifiers!...he may not answer you.... and will be hot inside for sure.... in the Nelson Pass position..if i was there, in his position, beeing bothered and no one entered to block the thread..a finger...a finger!...will be pointed to the damned annoying guy...ahahahahah...a finger...pointed.

Nelson Pass, for instance..he is not the same as we are..personally i do not love him, as he snobbed JLH once and i am hot with him since that day...but i can perceive how good he is, how important he is....he is not the same as me and others...much more important...and i think ican be bothered by some idiots...but he cannot!.... why?.... is he better than me?

- "YES! he is much better than i am"

It is not fair to judge him the same as others... a very cooperative man..one of the main extructures of knowledge and experience in our forum....he must be protected against annoying people much more than the others simple ones...the non contribution ones.... well..each one of us with our own point of view.

I think you can call me idiot...but do not try to call Mr. Bush....even if you are rigth... you cannot...try to do it to see the result.

So...in my real point of view...the advantage is with those folks that wants to create confusion i think.

We have to respect other guys...and there are annoying ones that are hard to respect....but those annoying ones, beeing clever, they can transform the forum in a hell place.

I will tell you once more...Graham is a scientist...not a common mortal....a researcher.... very old with his head filled with experience...and them appeared TLF....well...you know what happened.

So...this is what i believe (strongly) that will be my destiny , because i use to cooperate and this exposes me..and to feel bad with forum already happened with many folks.... a lot of good people already gone.

I do think that you cannot evaluate everyone the same grade...i cannot polish Graham shoes...he is more important for this forum than i am...also Nelson Pass is important..very important..and to create the same level for all folks and those guys is not fair..or at least not too much intelligent...as no one is missing TLF9999..but for sure Graham is beeing missed.

the amplifier i have posted was already designed, criticised, calculated, simulated, constructed, listened, compared, evaluated and it is almost ready..it is not for re-design anymore.

Constructors wanted...and them a review....honest evaluation..and ready.... my contribution will finally will be finished.

Having an honest constructor..for sure he will apreciate and will aprove.

regards,

Carlos

Yes Sparkle...agreement is 99 percent.

Those separated ones are pretty.

Also you will have better separation

The sound stage will appear much more clear with those ones.

And the obvious dinamic advantages...if left channel sucks enormous energy from its supply..voltage will be reduced by power consumption..but nothing will be transfered to the rigth channel...alike independent suspensions in automobiles.

Separated transformers..separated rectifiers and separated electrolític condenser for filtering.... all independent.

regards,

Carlos

Mr Greg Erskine produced an updated schematic.

Mr. Greg, a good friend and a very cooperative man, is trying to keep the amplifier schematic updated.

In the reality the circuit show is excelent.

But i have made modifications...small increase in sonics...really very small one...so small that i have to remove and install once again to have sure...in the moment i have only one Dx board working...so i cannot compare instantaneously two Dx circuits.

The amplifier is playing full time and i made some small things:

C1 was increase to 10 uf....more power into bass deep end only...increase in quality was small.

I have removed R1.... Graham suggested that...and really the treble had some increase...checked...this worked!

I have increase C3 and C7 to 1000 or bigger...humm... the sound seems to result more dense...but i am not sure.

I have increase C10 to 1000uF.... bass turns better...clearly.

Normally those things happens because of Graham..as he know that if something cannot be clearly perceived in sonics that i will banish the modification and will not even try.

Carlos

Attachments

• dx_amplifier_2007_02_17.gifaaa.gif
    dx_amplifier_2007_02_17.gifaaa.gif
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,685
Carlos,

for nearly a year now i've got a constant beep in my head and frequent headaches, after having my head pulled by a certified chiropractician to cure shoulder pains in 2006.
I'm not in the position to blame anyone, as i've injuced severe bodily harm to more (in the past) than Mike Tyson. Less than 6 months ago i broke some fingers, the result of deciding to hit a metal lamp post instead of a face. If i keep this up i won't have any knuckles on my hands in a year from now.
=> www.gmweb1.net

Learn, by not following the example of others. :clown:

You know Jacco..we have no Chiropactor in my country

We have something different...called Fisioterapeuta...Physical, body threatment.... to work body after surgery...operations..those things.

But those ones that make those crazy movements searching for relief we have not.

I think my people will not apreciate the position the body goes.

Really no chance to me to use them....knowing what happened with Graham...no chance.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos and sparkle - thank you so much for your patience. I have read that article a while back -- will now read it again. Having this information, the forums and good sites I have enough to start building my first amp :) will continue monitoring this thread and probably return with more questions..

Thank you.
Max.

All rigth Vurguuz....needing informs..just call us

Dx amplifier is not a simulated amplifier...not only simulated..but also simulated.

It exists in real life...produces sound..was tested, adjusted and worked fine.... to work fine and to sound great i can give you Guarantee.

here is some images.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• img_4738.jpg
    img_4738.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,247
Carlos - there is only one problem i can see here on the board.... only one small detail that i personally do not like - if somebody would like to use C16 and C19 that are really close to the output transistors they will not be able to use them other than to put them under the board because if you use them from above like every other part there will be no way to install output transistors on the heatsink ... it a small problem...
it would be better to install them in front - before output transistor - and this would require a little bit of a change on the pcb in order that you can fit them there and put some pads and trces there.....

i know that Greg will probably run arround screaming because of the additional work he might get....well, it is not my intention to make you turn crazy - only to perfect the design and to leave posibilities here for the people to decide if or if they don't want to have those two caps.....:)

in post 107 this problem is clear to be seen......(green electrolythic capacitors near the otuput transistors)

Attachments

• resize of new-1.jpg
    resize of new-1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,967
Carlos.

In that latest schematic I see some changes.

But not ALL the changes you mention, those GrahamM ones.

Some caps still have the OLD value.

I am sure you will fix this, when you have time.
So no reader here get too much confused.

Thanks, lineup

=========================================
Put my file upload feature offline for now. Just so you know, Carlos
Size is one reason:
Upload directory 2007-02-20: 392 MB (411 471 587 byte)
This is almost 0.5 GB hummmm
I may start my upload service again, when I get the money to buy me
A BIGGER HardDrive ..... something like 400-500 GB would be very nice!!!

Well...this last schematic works great!...those last things i told you, about sonic

increase, i told you also that the increase in quality is very small.

so, doing the one you have in the schematic will be all rigth too.

I do not know if Greg will have time to go changing, as i am always doing some small modification.

Was my fault to tell you those modifications....really not so important, and turn confused.

So...keep Greg Erskine, last schematic published as the standard schematic.

.......................................................................................................

I have mentioned that problem related output position before.... when Jacco asked me if was a handle there...the heatsink was alike a baggage handle.

You can remove this condenser to use the amplifier same way as Hugh used in Aksas.... really a beautifull way...i was trying to avoid connections with Aksa, because i think that thopologie is already alike the old 55.

Also the output condensers were not made with copper traces because they are optional...ou can use and connect wires or not, this way you can bent transistors to a L shape aluminium heatsink.

Transistors can be installed under the board, also using some remote location with short length wires..well..there's any obligation to use them over the board...just keep them short, as much as possible.

I cannot, dear Sparkle, ask Greg to customize the board design to each one of our needs...he made the board small, simple and let room to options and creativity.

This is not a food instructions...has not a formula...creativity will be needed to use heatsinks when transistors are in the show position..of course, i hope to see many creative decisions about the transistor placement....i can think in 5 or 6 options...and i will be happy to see other options too...as i want to learn with friends ideas...you Sparkle, for instance, is that kind of genius related those problems..if you took to yourself the responsabilty to find the better solution..for sure you will do it.

I think that Hugh solution is the best one...no other one better..but Hugh amplifier is superior related mine...has better treble and sound stage...The 55 is a professional amplifier, when this one is a diy home made amplifier...Hugh did researche for years long, and he found solutions that i am not using, that certainly increase the sonics as he did.

There are room to research in those amplifiers...i simply cannot go further not to invade copyrigth and not to behave bad with my friend hugh..another good friend i have..this one never failed with me, always kind, trying to help and beeing always cooperative.

My intention is to produce something cheap and simple...that i can use here, in my country, to produce kits to my place only, to produce some to friends and customers locally...and the main important, to have other guys testing it..constructing it...listening it and evaluating it.

If Greg, by himself, decided to make modification..i will feel great with that option...but will be one more board, and people is already confused with this one..try to imagine with one more board!

regards,

Carlos

You can do...all of you, whatever you want..including modifications

But i want you to put your name over...to be responsable related the modifications you have done.

I cannot take care of all possibilities...so...if someone wants..alike i have suggested to Mr. Lineup.... make your own version, publish schematic, simulations and take care of it like a baby, answering questions about it, and not to create confusion...can open another thread.

The name can be, in Lineup case...LineX amplifier...or other...also you can do that Sparkle...i would be happy..at least having dozen amplifiers, around the same thopologie, the chance to have more guys listening and evaluating will be bigger...may result good.

But you can see..if i go changing one condenser value, and it is not in the last schematic, ...people start to think that another amplifier exist...and this is not true...just a variation around the same theme...all amplifiers can be changed in resistor values..you will move operation point,..some currents..and base to emitter junction will take care to maintain a reasonable VBE..you can reduce or enlarge condenser and the amplifier will be almost the same in sonics...it will be the SAME..but a lot of people turn confused and think that is another one..when it is not another one...just small variations....in electronics 20 percent up and down will still work fine.

All i do not want is that the amplifier turn very different...because it will be another amplifier...not beeing the Dx amplifier anymore... in this case..if people want to install Fets and CCS and mirrors and fully differential input...better to give another name and to install another thread for that...to avoid confusion...mess.

This circuit has not copyrigth....it is beeing offered to all of you..it can be yours...make your own version and Charlie will be happy...just do not try to change my violin into a common one...mine is Stradivárious...yeah...not so shinning as others made by industry...not so perfect in shape..but the sound...heheh

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,937
Status
Not open for further replies.