Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It almost ready to 4 ohms loads...more than 700 watts RMS at 35 hertz with less than 0.6% distortion.

To the ones are preparing pcboard:

Supply rail condensers are huge...left side (input side) is 1000uf/100V and to the right side we have 2200uf/100V...they are big in size...and soon they gonna have small capacitor in parallel...circuit is not ready.

The heat sensor diodes are high speed TO220 devices, made of plastic (have plasticity, you can make shape with that material) and the internal junction is electrically insulated from the heatsink.

I will try big transistors (output units) as drivers and maybe as VAS...so...it is not a good idea to prepare pcboard for a while.

regards,

Carlos
we wait for the final scheme....regards

I really want it to have this created but not always things come out the way you want it, this is what I have so far on the layout I really want to see it completed.

Attachments

• vistual board3.png
    vistual board3.png
    458.1 KB · Views: 587
Well I have the heat sink ready, for now I just design a new power supply "simple" not complicated and is unregulated, I took the idea from a eBay power supply that look interesting so I making my own one, is a double side board and I'm going to try etching it but I need to get me a laser printer first lol :D hey guys if you have any ideas that can you share with me let me know. ;)

Regards
vargasmongo3435

Attachments

• top 40.png
    top 40.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 501
  • bottom 40.png
    bottom 40.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 472
  • universal power supply C1 mirror.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 144
  • universal power supply C2 mirror.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 116
  • virtual view C1.png
    virtual view C1.png
    249 KB · Views: 458
  • virtual view C2.png
    virtual view C2.png
    134 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
you need a connection for the centre tap at the rectifier end of the capacitor bank.
I would also "neck" (narrow) the common ground strip between the first pair of caps and the second pair. This may help reduce the charging pulses that will try to travel towards the output in search of the lowest impedance.

the board is double side, the center tap is already connected to the center of the board, the red is the top side of the board and the blue one the bottom but if I'm wrong I will check it again, when you refer to "narrow" is the blue one or the red one that has to be change it to avoid the pulses? :confused:

Regards
vargasmongo3435

Attachments

• bottom 41.png
    bottom 41.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Thank you Alex... sadly this amplifier was not approved

But this remote output, we can use with several amplifiers, will be alway usefull.

Also thank you by your kindness Juan.

I am playing with that non approved prototype.... using filters and playing with it...soon i will upload a video...a bad quality video but shows the unit working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqJWYTNA6KM

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Active low pass filter.jpg
    Active low pass filter.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Herman is having fun with uncle charlie.... he sent me this picture

Crab is an animal that walks backwards...this means he do not advance to the future..he return to the past...and Dx amplifier is past...old amplifier already made.

Hehehehehe...he is right.... does not make sense to go "forward to the past" nor back to the future.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• LET'S BUILD DX AMPLIFIER (1).JPG
    LET'S BUILD DX AMPLIFIER (1).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 390
........................ the center tap is already connected to the center of the board, the red is the top side of the board and the blue one the bottom but if I'm wrong I will check it again, when you refer to "narrow" is the blue one or the red one that has to be change it to avoid the pulses?................
move the centre tap connection the space right next to the rectifier.
Remember the charging pulses run around the circuit from secondary/rectifier/first+ve cap/centretap/secondary/rectifier/first-ve cap/centre tap and repeats on every cycle. You don't want the traces carrying these pulses (in a figure of 8) to be shared with any circuit downstream of the charging circuit.

Look at the area between the first 4 smoothing caps.
There is a very wide Zero volts trace running from left to right through that space. Narrow the trace to maybe 5mm wide. This will help keep the charging pulses to the left side of the narrowing. Then the Zero volts side to the right of the narrowing will have much less of the charging pulses imposed on it. That should help "clean up" the output side of the PSU.

V,
the +ve rail trace and the -ve rail trace connecting all the like poles of the smoothing capacitors can be improved.
Break the +ve trace between the first cap and the second. Break the +ve trace between the second cap and the third cap.
repeat this for the -ve side traces. And repeat on top and bottom sides.
Insert pads to allow shorting links to be soldered in to maintain trace continuity from transformer end to the output end.

Now the OPTIONAL improvement:
replace the first +ve link and the first -ve link with radial resistor that fits the little gap at the edge of the PCB.
This changes the PSU from rCCC to rCRCC.
The second OPTIONAL improvement:
replace the second +ve link and the second -ve link with radial resistor that fits the little gap at the edge of the PCB.
This changes the PSU from rCRCC to rCRCRC.

The R can be any value dependant on current demand. I'd suggest the quiescent Vdrop across the first resistor be <300mVdc and across the second resistor <100mVdc.

You can replace these resistors with air cored handwound inductors with a R value (the copper wire resistance) ~ = the the R value that gave those same voltage drops I suggested above.

For a little amplifier say ~100W (Iq~100mA) the resistors could be 0r33 (1st) and 0r22 (2nd)
for a big amp say 300W (Iq~600mA), the resistors could be reduced to ~ 0r22 & ~ 0r1

Status
Not open for further replies.